2022 Tour De France

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I’ll be bummed if that happens but I could definitely see it.

The reasons Sepp might not have the legs is from dragging Roglics ass up climbs in the Giro and then Vingegaards in the TdF. It’d suck if they attacked him
Kuss told Danish tv he has no qualms with JV taking it, as it is supposed to be the best rider - JV said, he has not thought about it yet, and just wanted to win for VH today, and JV asked Kuss and Rog if it was ok, both agreed.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
On to the Angliru

msW9LWo.gif

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
In his interview Sepp says that halfway up the climb Jonas told him "you're going to win".

I don't know. If he really wanted it he probably could have taken it today.
Agreed - He didn’t want to take it today.

I genuinely think JV wants Sepp to take it.

Not sure about Rog?

Reactions: Jack Straw

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
He didn't want to take it today so instead of staying with the leader goes with Roglic for.... absolutely no reason?
Time will tell, obviously as a supporter of JV, I would not mind.

But apparently, Kuss said “go guys”
over the team radio, after they asked if he had the legs - He didn’t.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
In his interview Sepp says that halfway up the climb Jonas told him "you're going to win".

I don't know. If he really wanted it he probably could have taken it today.
I’ll believe it when it happens.

If that were the case why not let Roglic go and stay with Kuss other than to stay in contention to win it all?

Jumbo has 5 stage wins and all three podium spots. If those two truly want Sepp to win then tomorrow they let the breakaway go and stay with Sepp. But I don’t think that’s what’s going to happen.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I just stumbled upon some interesting news regarding Jonas Vingegaard and his plans for the rest of the Vuelta a España, and I thought I'd share it with you all. According to a recent, as in today, interview on Danish TV, Jonas Vingegaard expressed his desire to ride for Sepp Kuss, and it seems like he's feeling a bit conflicted about his earlier choices in the race.

In the interview, Jonas Vingegaard admitted that he wants to switch his focus and support to Sepp Kuss for the remainder of the Vuelta. He mentioned that he would feel "greedy" if he didn't lend his support to Kuss at this stage of the race. This statement suggests a significant change in strategy for Team Jumbo-Visma and a possible shift in the team's dynamics.

What's particularly intriguing is that Vingegaard also expressed some regret about his previous decisions during the Vuelta. He specifically mentioned going with Roglič as a choice he shouldn't have made. Danish TV seems to have indicated that Roglič might not be in agreeance - Vingegaard appears to be concerned about Roglič potentially taking valuable time away from him in the overall standings, and felt conflicted. Also says the team wants the best rider to win.

In response to these sentiments, Jonas Vingegaard has promised that he wants to ride for Sepp Kuss for the rest of the Vuelta - Unless Kuss blows up that is.

It seemed that JV didn't want to say too much, but strongly indicated Pogi, not being on the same page.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
If Sepp doesn't win JV will have lost a lot of cycling fans.

Also, I'm glad to see other riders speaking up about it..

I honestly don’t think JV cares about that part - People will always find someting to bitch and moan about. Some are pissed he doesn’t just take it. It was the same with WVA in the TdF, I think JV feels a little “damned if I do, damned if I don’t”, and I agree - So, as he said, no one knows what we talk about on team meetings, no one knows how I think and feel.

And how I understand G. Thomas, is that Kuss is good enough, and no one should gift him a grand tour.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I didn't see the stage today but it looks like it's Sepp's for the taking:

Vuelta a España stage 18 live: Kuss, Vingegaard and Roglic face off on final mountain finish

Kuss admitted there had been an important team meeting at Jumbo-Visma last night to decide the team's strategy. They appear to have decided to back Kuss for overall victory.

"We had a lot of meetings actually because during the race, it's not always so simple with two leaders and then with three leaders, it makes it even more complicated," Kuss said.

"I have to say that that there was always the support from, from the directors.

"It's always difficult to see from the outside what's going on but I felt good support from the directors and also today from, from the guys. We made a a clear plan for what we would do today."

Reactions: QuietContrarian

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I didn't see the stage today but it looks like it's Sepp's for the taking:

Vuelta a España stage 18 live: Kuss, Vingegaard and Roglic face off on final mountain finish

Kuss admitted there had been an important team meeting at Jumbo-Visma last night to decide the team's strategy. They appear to have decided to back Kuss for overall victory.

"We had a lot of meetings actually because during the race, it's not always so simple with two leaders and then with three leaders, it makes it even more complicated," Kuss said.

"I have to say that that there was always the support from, from the directors.

"It's always difficult to see from the outside what's going on but I felt good support from the directors and also today from, from the guys. We made a a clear plan for what we would do today."
JV visibly acted as helper, and visibly backed off at the end, to give up a few more seconds (9). I hope all the people who were quick to bash JV, are just as quick to say kudos!

I am a JV fan, and would love to see him win two GTs in a season, but if there is any rider I wouldn’t mind taking it, it is Sepp, he seems like a really nice, unselfish guy. And he deserves this so much.

Only wish this was clear before, so Jonas could have gone after the mountain jersey.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
The beef was more with Primoz than JV. And the idea of a gift was false to begin with. Sepp has earned this fair and square. He's given 100% of what he is capable of, 3rd GT this year and all. More than Primoz can say.

And IDC if Primoz had fresher legs yesterday and wanted to win. It was not conduct of a true teammate.

JV did the right thing. Primoz has continued to act a tad shady. If he just has to win so bad, maybe he should find a new team..

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I honestly don’t think JV cares about that part - People will always find someting to bitch and moan about. Some are pissed he doesn’t just take it. It was the same with WVA in the TdF, I think JV feels a little “damned if I do, damned if I don’t”, and I agree - So, as he said, no one knows what we talk about on team meetings, no one knows how I think and feel.

And how I understand G. Thomas, is that Kuss is good enough, and no one should gift him a grand tour.
I’m not sure how you came away with that from what G said. He goes on to criticize the tactics of V and Roglic.

And the whole “gifting the win” is misguided anyway and ignores the opportunities Sepp had to put time into Roglic and V earlier but obviously didn’t because they were still very much expected to be the ones winning in the end. But now that the Vuelta is wrapping up suddenly it’s alls fair in love and war? It’s not like they’ve been turning themselves inside out dragging Sepp around so he can get a charity win.

As G mentions, Jumbo was the one with the tactics that put Sepp in red. Understandably they still played it safe with him because they weren’t sure he’d be able to make it through his third tour and hold the lead. Now it’s obvious he can except he has two very strong teammates who also want to win. It’s a complicated situation but nothing is being gifted. Teams make calls all the time as to who and what they’re riding for.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Frankly Jumbo took the most sensible decision which was to back a key rider (and leader of the race) in their structure. Could have been the downfall of Jumbo if they don't put order in the team for the end of La Vuelta.

I'm sure JV and Primoz don't like what's going on (I don't believe one word of Jonas), and they should not. They are champions and champions want to win. This is not a stage, it is a GV, it is a big achievement. But it is for the best Kuss wins it.

He has earned it but there's no doubt in my mind that especially JV is the strongest biker in the race, and by a fair margin. Anyways, I fully expect Roglic to be in another team next season

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Frankly Jumbo took the most sensible decision which was to back a key rider (and leader of the race) in their structure. Could have been the downfall of Jumbo if they don't put order in the team for the end of La Vuelta.

I'm sure JV and Primoz don't like what's going on (I don't believe one word of Jonas), and they should not. They are champions and champions want to win. This is not a stage, it is a GV, it is a big achievement. But it is for the best Kuss wins it.

He has earned it but there's no doubt in my mind that especially JV is the strongest biker in the race, and by a fair margin. Anyways, I fully expect Roglic to be in another team next season
Like I said, “Damned if he does, Damned if he doesn’t.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I’m not sure how you came away with that from what G said. He goes on to criticize the tactics of V and Roglic.

And the whole “gifting the win” is misguided anyway and ignores the opportunities Sepp had to put time into Roglic and V earlier but obviously didn’t because they were still very much expected to be the ones winning in the end. But now that the Vuelta is wrapping up suddenly it’s alls fair in love and war? It’s not like they’ve been turning themselves inside out dragging Sepp around so he can get a charity win.

As G mentions, Jumbo was the one with the tactics that put Sepp in red. Understandably they still played it safe with him because they weren’t sure he’d be able to make it through his third tour and hold the lead. Now it’s obvious he can except he has two very strong teammates who also want to win. It’s a complicated situation but nothing is being gifted. Teams make calls all the time as to who and what they’re riding for.
DK Media also conducted an interview with him and shared a similar sentiment. However, they noted that the interview appeared somewhat unusual, with opinions expressed in a scattered manner. Further elaboration on this matter may not be necessary, in my opinion.

I have no doubt in my mind that if JV were determined to win, he could indeed achieve it.

Danish television maintains strong affiliations with Team Jumbo, and it appears that support for Kuss only truly manifested after Stage 17, likely due to concerns regarding potential negative reactions.

Previously, it was purportedly the prevailing sentiment that "may the best man win."

I do however ponder, how Americans would react if the roles were reversed.

I believe many would adopt a "No mercy" and "Go for the jugular" mindset.

Particularly in the case of American media, there appears to be a tendency towards complaint and hypocrisy. One might recall that during the Armstrong era, some segments of American media lauded his self-centric approach.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad