Red Sox/MLB 2022 Regular Season VI - RED SOX 7-6 IN SEPTEMBER (70-74) - Competition Committee Approves Sweeping Rule Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I agree and disagree.

I'm not worried about a relatively small sample size of 55 ABs with 2 outs and RISP this year. There's little in his career to suggest this is anything other than something of a fluke.

That said, I think if Bogaerts is gonna hit 3rd or 4th all season, then it's fair to expect him to provide some power and drive in runs. And I think it's fair to say that the team has struggled to produce in 2 out, RISP situations this year and that Bogaerts has been part of the problem.

I'm still struggling to figure out exactly how he fits into this team's long-term plans, however.

2nd half last season was very similar.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden

Fun development

Bogaerts has started to knock in more runs lately, I don’t have a problem with him when he’s doing that. It’s happened when the games don’t really matter but that’s not on him imo.

Now the hot stretch he’s on certainly features luck that makes me weary of putting a ton of stock into it but he’s also a pretty skilled guy in terms of putting the ball where they ain’t. He consistently overperforms his expected stats because of that.

I am glad he has learned a new pitch. With his stuff, I think he could really use a curve. Encouraging.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Simply asking what was meant by debilitating, as no injury was mentioned. Bogey has played 135 games, only Verdugo has played more (136). No evidence of a debilitating injury.

Any way you want to slice it, a guy that's hitting .318 but only .182 with 2 outs and men in scoring position is doing a lot of choking. And anyone who's watched this season knows that's been the case.

Yeah, and this is only year its happened to him(outside of the COVID year where everything went screwy).

Bogaerts 2 outs RISP that last 5 seasons:

2018: .309, 36 RBI
2019: .292, 27 RBI
2020: .185, 7 RBI (COVID year FWIW)
2021: .280, 18 RBI
2022: .182, 13 RBI

Given the wrist and shoulder injuries it's not out of line to speculate those are having an effect. Especially since he's posting the 2nd highest BA, highest OBP, 2nd highest OPS+ and 2nd highest WAR of his career and the only numbers that are down are the power stats, aka things an arm injury would hurt the most.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
btw, folks:

AA Portland and AA Somerset ARE going to be pretty tired of seeing each other after completing the regular Season, in a 6 game series.... then these two will face off for the Eastern League North Division championship;

Somerset won the 1st Half; Sea Dogs won the 2nd half after beating the Patriots to clinch a playoff berth (1st since 2014);

• Love
Reactions: GatorMike and dabid

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yeah, and this is only year its happened to him(outside of the COVID year where everything went screwy).

Bogaerts 2 outs RISP that last 5 seasons:

2018: .309, 36 RBI
2019: .292, 27 RBI
2020: .185, 7 RBI (COVID year FWIW)
2021: .280, 18 RBI
2022: .182, 13 RBI

Given the wrist and shoulder injuries it's not out of line to speculate those are having an effect. Especially since he's posting the 2nd highest BA, highest OBP, 2nd highest OPS+ and 2nd highest WAR of his career and the only numbers that are down are the power stats, aka things an arm injury would hurt the most.

Like I said previously, 2nd half of last season was also dismal.

A season and a half trend, or just a blip? Management needs to decide.

Also, a .231 hitter in post season, .186 in the World Series.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
I imagine it is well known by now what I think of XB. He is a very good hitter when everything is right. However, when there is a nagging injury, a position change, a bad atmosphere or the phase of the moon is wrong, he goes totally in the tank. Let him go, and make a good faith effort to replace him.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm still generally pro-Bloom but I am concerned due to the fact that we're still going to go over the luxury tax despite a lost season. Doesn't affect next year much but 2024 is going to be a sell-off.

But I don't even know because last year they were under the cap and were a bad umpire away from the pennant and this year they exceeded it and are in last place, so you never know. but in general it would've been better to reset that cap in a year like this one.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I'm still generally pro-Bloom but I am concerned due to the fact that we're still going to go over the luxury tax despite a lost season. Doesn't affect next year much but 2024 is going to be a sell-off.

But I don't even know because last year they were under the cap and were a bad umpire away from the pennant and this year they exceeded it and are in last place, so you never know. but in general it would've been better to reset that cap in a year like this one.
Remember with what we were beaten over the head with a couple of months ago.

Trust the process.

Last edited:

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Please explain "a debilitating".

For the record, with runners in scoring position and two outs, Bogey is hitting .182 this year.

He was playing through a hurt shoulder and wrist ever since he collided into Verdugo on the 20th of May. If you don't think that can impact how you can hold a bat and how you go through your swinging motion then you clearly have never played the sport at any level. The wrist injury in particular is really bad because you need your wrists to get a level plane on the bat to consistently drive the ball and not get roll over on pitches. If you have a bum wrist, you won't be able to keep said bat on said level plane and will instead get roll over that can cause you to not make solid contact consistently. Which means you will get more...ground outs. Also your wrists help in delivering force through the swing. Furthermore, bad wrists means less force being put on the ball as you swing and follow through. This means the bat speed on your swing isn't going to get the ball out of the infield, which again means more likelihood of ground outs. Additionally your shoulders help with extension of the bat through the zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He was playing through a hurt shoulder and wrist ever since he collided into Verdugo on the 20th of May. If you don't think that can impact how you can hold a bat and how you go through your swinging motion then you clearly have never played the sport at any level. The wrist injury in particular is really bad because you need your wrists to get a level plane on the bat to consistently drive the ball and not get roll over on pitches. If you have a bum wrist, you won't be able to keep said bat on said level plane and will instead get roll over that can cause you to not make solid contact consistently. Which means you will get more...ground outs. Also your wrists help in delivering force through the swing. Furthermore, bad wrists means less force being put on the ball as you swing and follow through. This means your isn't going to get the ball out of the infield, which again means more likelihood of ground outs. Additionally your shoulders help with extension of the bat through the zone.

I understand the effects of injury. But neither one of us know to what extent Bogey was hurt. Certainly didn't keep him out of the lineup or bother his fielding ability.

And for the record, I did play the sport. Was scouted in high school as a pitcher but was told I didn't throw hard enough. Even in the 1960's you needed to be able to bring the cheese, as Eck would say.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I am glad he has learned a new pitch. With his stuff, I think he could really use a curve. Encouraging.

I'm almost always surprised when a MLB pitcher only has 1-3 pitches. I mean, I understand that most people will be better with a particular pitch or two, but you'd think that among:

2 seam fastball, 4 seam fastball, slider, curve, changeup, knuckle curve, slurve, sinker/split, that a pro should be able to throw at least 5 different pitches.

Again, I get that guys tend to rely on their 1-3 best pitches, but with how data driven the game has become, you'd think it would be in the pitchers best interest to have 5 or so options.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm almost always surprised when a MLB pitcher only has 1-3 pitches. I mean, I understand that most people will be better with a particular pitch or two, but you'd think that among:

2 seam fastball, 4 seam fastball, slider, curve, changeup, knuckle curve, slurve, sinker/split, that a pro should be able to throw at least 5 different pitches.

Again, I get that guys tend to rely on their 1-3 best pitches, but with how data driven the game has become, you'd think it would be in the pitchers best interest to have 5 or so options.
I agree.

I suppose there must be pushback form pitchers and their agents because they're afraid of hurting their arm on a new pitch or it being ineffective and causing their numbers to go down, sticking to the formula. But with the pitching coaches available to these guys and the training, facilities, everything, I honestly find it hard to believe that they can't go out and learn how to throw a passable sinker or slider over the winter. It doesn't have to become their primary pitch, but just to have in the arsenal. If Tanner Houck learned a reliable circle changeup it's the difference between him being a one-inning reliever and being a good starter.

Reactions: sarge88

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Thanks for the home run cart and being a good backup last year. Maybe he can latch onto a contender as a 3rd catcher and get into a game or two before the season is over so he would receive a ring if the team won

Reactions: Mione134

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Is it me or is the Nesn crew really pushing the Re-sign Bogarts message?

They should. Bogaerts is a franchise player who deserves some god damned respect for what he does as a player for this team.

That is a bad sign....The decline is real, and I really do not think he can play another position.

Decline? What are you watching? He's finally healthy and doing phenomenal at the plate again and you call that a decline?

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
They should. Bogaerts is a franchise player who deserves some god damned respect for what he does as a player for this team.

Decline? What are you watching? He's finally healthy and doing phenomenal at the plate again and you call that a decline?
When they need him with two outs or in the clutch, he is garbage. His power is obviously declining which suggests his bat speed is declining. His fielding has never been strong. Two years ago, it was an atrocity. This year he stabilized it, and it was just slightly below average. Decline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad