GDT: 2022 Playoffs: WCQF Game 4 | WC2: Predators vs C1: Colorado Avalanche | 5.9.22 | 8:30p

Status
Not open for further replies.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
This may sound crazy, but is it possible Makar may wind up being the best player in the entire league in the near future?? Is McDavid really that much more valuable than him?
I'd hold off on crowning the kid king yet, McDavid is the better player IMO. Makar is a valuable piece to the team..but I just don't think he's THAT good, he's a Norris Caliber Player definitely. He's not an MVP player, but with the team he's on he could definitely make a case for 100 points next year. They're stacked, Josi having that kind of team this year likely would've propelled him into 110 points category.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I'd hold off on crowning the kid king yet, McDavid is the better player IMO. Makar is a valuable piece to the team..but I just don't think he's THAT good, he's a Norris Caliber Player definitely. He's not an MVP player, but with the team he's on he could definitely make a case for 100 points next year. They're stacked, Josi having that kind of team this year likely would've propelled him into 110 points category.
I think I tend to agree with you, MAYBE?? But I guess I would counter with- why do you say he is not that good, not an MVP player?? If he isn't there yet, he is pretty dang close.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
I think I tend to agree with you, MAYBE?? But I guess I would counter with- why do you say he is not that good, not an MVP player?? If he isn't there yet, he is pretty dang close.
I've said this in multiple threads debating the Josi/Makar situation...if you look at the quality of players AROUND Makar...defensively Toews bails him out a lot on the back-end. Josi doesn't have that with Fabbro/Carrier. As you've seen during the series..they are constantly in the offensive Zone and most Defensive zone time is brief because they're dominant with their speed and skill as a team. The times he's actually in the d-zone are few and far between and when he is. It's usually not a long shift. He's got highly skilled forwards from line 1-3 that help them out of the zone. I equate many stats he and their D-core have shown to our 2018 d-core defensive stats. We were just so dominant at chipping the puck out of the zone and forcing people to deal with our forecheck during that year that our defenders despite all the ice time had amazing metrics. A stacked team/defensive group can do that very easily.

Once again, I think he deserves the Norris, he's definitely top 1-3 in the league as a defender but MVP? No, not there yet for me.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Makar is way better than Josi. It’s not really that close.

• Love
Reactions: jabubenice

You

Jul 1, 2010
I hope the players weren't battling as hard for the last two months as Mace is trying to say they were, or we need to blow it up

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
We are absolutely the worst team I have ever seen in 6 on 5 goalie pulled situations.
Except for what the stats say ... pretty damned average (t-18th with four ... five spans the midpoint ... somehow Boston without a 6on5 goal for, Edmonton only two). Where we were at the bottom of the league is shorthanded goals this season ... 2 all regular season.

I dislike ESPN's coverage. It's all for one team or the other ... so much talk about the handshake line, Caps/Panthers recap instead.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Except for what the stats say ... pretty damned average (t-18th with four ... five spans the midpoint ... somehow Boston without a 6on5 goal for, Edmonton only two). Where we were at the bottom of the league is shorthanded goals this season ... 2 all regular season.

I dislike ESPN's coverage. It's all for one team or the other ... so much talk about the handshake line, Caps/Panthers recap instead.
Regardless of what the stats say- we are AWFUL. Two of those goals we got came in a game we were down 3.

Again I ask- when is the last time we tied a game with the goalie pulled? I still can't find that data, but I know we have not done it a single time this year. And that is the only goal you have in that situation- to tie the game.

And that doesn't even factor in how quicky we give up the ENG- that has to be one of the worst in the league.

We honest to goodness would have a better chance by not pulling the goalie- no telling how much more accumulated attack time we would have had, albeit 5 on 5 vs 6 on 5

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's worth pointing out that the Avs put up a 48-point season the year that they drafted Makar. That couldn't have been a fun season at all for the fans, but they'd probably say now that it was worth it.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
It's worth pointing out that the Avs put up a 48-point season the year that they drafted Makar. That couldn't have been a fun season at all for the fans, but they'd probably say now that it was worth it.
Yep it definitely is. But they just got lucky- plenty of teams go through those seasons and never have this kind of results happen

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
All valid points. Maybe Josi being on the team with less talent tries to do more on his own.

I would say we did a damn good job of shutting down mackinnon and their top 6 5v5 tonight but Makar just took over. Josi is a hell of a defenseman but I personally just think there is a gap between him and Makar. Josi will more than likely win the Norris w/ his point total.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
All valid points. Maybe Josi being on the team with less talent tries to do more on his own.

I would say we did a damn good job of shutting down mackinnon and their top 6 5v5 tonight but Makar just took over. Josi is a hell of a defenseman but I personally just think there is a gap between him and Makar. Josi will more than likely win the Norris w/ his point total.
I think you have to factor in the age difference as well.......

Reactions: jabubenice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad