Speculation: 2022 Off-Season | Dethroned: What next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Ladies and gentlemen of the 3x and previously Back-to-Back championship Lightning, gather 'round the campfire.

We have been dethroned. Emotions are still raw for some, I for one am numb because of 2020 and 2021, but what are your thoughts going forward?

I thought the regular season was grueling. We had stretches of good play, then some really bad ones. COVID protocol, key injuries and a couple trades sprinkled in, we ended up knocking out three teams that loaded up for deep runs. Three really good teams that people thought would do us in couldn't. I'm proud of the guys but the lack of scoring prowess on the team made us look like a Tortorella-esque team in the dying frame.

Positives:
- B2B
- Core still in tact
- Some easier decisions on who stays/who goes

Negatives:
- Cap crunch in another year
- IF JBB goofs, the forward depth may be even worse
- Special teams are not as reliable when down any one of the big four

In 2015, I didn't really think we would have a set of four years like we've seen but we are blessed in the sports world to see this happen. To get absolutely meme'd and trolled in 2019, then bitch slap the league in 2020 and 2021, only to return in 2022 two wins away from three in a row. But, here we are with a core that's been through everything and we are still at the top (ok, so just a notch below the top now...).

Thoughts?

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Killorn needs to be gone and they need to re-sign Palat and Paul

JBB needs to figure out what do do depth wise. It's easier said than done, but we need one more good skating defensemen, just like Colorado. We desperately need a good speedy d-man. We actually missed Shattenkirks offensive touch this series. Our D doesn't generate enough offence.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Unfortunately dealing our next two 1st's we have one path, continue to push forward with this core and try and find value with support pieces in free agency or from slim pickings in Syracuse.

Palat and Paul should be gone unfortunately, two of our biggest postseason contributers. I don't know how you replace them, team should definitely be less talented next season overall even if they can strike gold with some decent replacements in free agency.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Unfortunately dealing our next two 1st's we have one path, continue to push forward with this core and try and find value with support pieces in free agency or from slim pickings in Syracuse.

Palat and Paul should be gone unfortunately, two of our biggest postseason contributers. I don't know how you replace them, team should definitely be less talented next season overall even if they can strike gold with some decent replacements in free agency.
Neither Palat nor Paul should be gone. Palat I seriously doubt wants to leave Tampa and while Paul will get plenty of interest, I doubt he finds a better shot at the Cup then in Tampa(while still making 3.x a year). Tampa cannot continue sinking as much into the defense while sacrificing on offense, the depth isn't there anymore and losing key guys like Pally and Paul is a huge mistake.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto

If we don't have either of them next season than we have no real shot at a deep run. We already barely have forward depth.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
We have a 1st which is nice. I would like to see Paul re-signed, assuming Palat is gone. Killorn has expressed his desire to retire a Bolt, but I wonder if they consider moving him in the offseason and tell him check back in free agency.

JB is a phenomenal GM and I expect him to keep us in the picture.

Kucherov, Vasilevskiy and Point still in their 20's and could very well get even better. Stamkos coming off a 100 pt season, Hedman is still elite. Sergachev, Cernak, Cirelli, Colton, Hagel are still young.

We'll be fine.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Need to get faster.

Re-sign Palat and Paul if possible. Dump killer, hagel (even though he’s fast… speed doesn’t do shit if you can’t use it well enough)… see offers for maroon and Perry, though I’d try to keep both around, maroon in particular for the locker room.

Helm is a UFA, but he’ll be tough to get. He really impressed me. Need speed. As I have noted before, every single series, we were absolutely outmatched by the other teams speed. One might argue we won 3/4 of those series, but the league is not going in a slower direction. Gotta be able to keep up. Not sure what other free agents are 1, out there or 2, we could afford, but we will see. If there’s anyone I trust to guide this ship, it’s JBB.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
We have a 1st which is nice. I would like to see Paul re-signed, assuming Palat is gone. Killorn has expressed his desire to retire a Bolt, but I wonder if they consider moving him in the offseason and tell him check back in free agency.

JB is a phenomenal GM and I expect him to keep us in the picture.

Kucherov, Vasilevskiy and Point still in their 20's and could very well get even better. Stamkos coming off a 100 pt season, Hedman is still elite. Sergachev, Cernak, Cirelli, Colton, Hagel are still young.

We'll be fine.
Killorn has to be shipped out. We can put his cap to much better use.

Hedman has looked really disappointing all playoffs (except for like maybe 2 games?) He has to get back to form cause we desperately miss him. Last year he had the injury but this year he looked lost at times and seems to have lost his offensive touch.

Corey Perry is cursed

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
There’s a balance between making the right moves and making too many moves.

Stamkos - Point - Kucherov
Hagel - Cirelli - Palat
Colton - Paul - B
Maroon - Bellemare - Perry [do we dare roll the dice here again?]

Hedman - Sergachev
McDonagh - Cernak
Bogosian - Foote
C (Rutta? Only if a cap-friendly deal?)

Vasilevskiy
Elliot

Bold needs to be signed/re-signed.

- Killorn needs to be moved
- Palat needs to be re-signed, as well as Paul
- Colton only stays since he’s under contract
- Foote slides up into regular rotation

Concerns - we’re still slower than we should be with the likes of Maroon, Perry, Cernak, Bogosian.

Reactions: DaBolts

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Neither Palat nor Paul should be gone. Palat I seriously doubt wants to leave Tampa and while Paul will get plenty of interest, I doubt he finds a better shot at the Cup then in Tampa(while still making 3.x a year). Tampa cannot continue sinking as much into the defense while sacrificing on offense, the depth isn't there anymore and losing key guys like Pally and Paul is a huge mistake.

Hope you are right, but doubt it

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Killorn/Hagel/Colton/Bellemare/Maroon/Perry/Cirelli/Sergachev can all go as far as I'm concerned. We're too top heavy offensively, we won game 5 against NY because Serg managed to score two goals that more often than not don't go in, we won game 6 against Colorado in large part because Rutta managed to sneak one in. Those three goals helped helped us overcome the lack of depth scoring we had, but you can't rely on that going forward.

Cirelli disappears too often on offense and I'm sick of seeing Serge turn the puck over in our zone. Of the players I listed we clearly keep these two above any of them, but like I said I'm good with them going too.

Now, having said that I realize we won't be replacing all of these players in one offseason. It's just what I think needs to change.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If we don't have either of them next season than we have no real shot at a deep run. We already barely have forward depth.

I think we can make the postseason easily still, but responsible power forwards in the posteason are a premium and I'm pretty sure both have priced themselves out of what we can afford, unfortunately

Killorn/Hagel/Colton/Bellemare/Maroon/Perry/Cirelli/Sergachev can all go as far as I'm concerned. We're too top heavy offensively, we won game 5 against NY because Serg managed to score two goals that more often than not don't go in, we won game 6 against Colorado in large part because Rutta managed to sneak one in. Those three goals helped helped us overcome the lack of depth scoring we had, but you can't rely on that going forward.

Cirelli disappears too often on offense and I'm sick of seeing Serge turn the puck over in our zone. Of the players I listed we clearly keep these two above any of them, but like I said I'm good with them going too.

Now, having said that I realize we won't be replacing all of these players in one offseason. It's just what I think needs to change.

You say we are top heavy but list a bunch of middling players to get rid of. Not sure that makes a lot of sense

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Rutta is almost certainly gone unless it's an insane bargain.

The numbers say that MINIMUM 1 of Palat, Paul, Killorn can't return. Then it's only another year until we need to retain key RFAs, but hopefully the cap rises and bails us out a bit.

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013
I know it's a pipedream, and I can't say I've watched more than 60 minutes of him play, but a lot of the analytics community think Jesse Puljujarvi is the next Nischuskin. Due for a breakout. And Edmonton is expected to deal him or Yamamoto this offseason

Edmonton doesn't exactly seem to have the brightest GM (i think?), maybe JBB can sell him on Killorn, even after this postseason lol

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
Rutta is almost certainly gone unless it's an insane bargain.

The numbers say that MINIMUM 1 of Palat, Paul, Killorn can't return. Then it's only another year until we need to retain key RFAs, but hopefully the cap rises and bails us out a bit.
Jeeze. Sergachev and Foote are basically the same age. Forgot how young he is.

We have to do what we can to make sure that we keep Paul and Palat.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
With the way Sergachev played this round, I do wonder if we see Brisebois entertain moving McDonagh. You cannot be sentimental if you're a GM - or, at least hope to be successful. I feel like cap wise, instead of mortaging any futures, right now is the year to move McDonagh. This is where I can see the coaching staff disagreeing with JBB but JBB being right if he did it. Moving McDonagh is detrimental on ice from the back end but to put two things into perspective;

1. We saw a preview of a mediocre McDonagh that has either arrived (I doubt) or may in the near future.
2. It allows you to bring in another piece via UFA to the forward group (I despise Evander Kane, but Imagine he's there up front instead of whoever else did f*** all this round)

I say this everytime I bring it up, but, I absolutely love McDonagh. He's a heck of a warrior and leader. Both on and off the ice, but you cannot get hung up on a player so much that it hampers the entire franchise and its' direction. The only two you absolutely "see out" until the end is 91 and 77. Kuch, Vasy and Point are basically right behind to retire with us barring anything crazy, but everybody else has their expiration. Palat is a difference. We would be reading posts on igorsbetterdotcom right now if it wasn't for his timely goals. The guy brought it. You take him out and there is a glaring hole for that first line winger position.

There will still be issues with Sergachev. There's issues with Makar and Hedman too, but being cap compliant (I guess we have to play fair now...sigh...) and fielding a better forward group is the direction we should take. Team defense wins championships.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Trade Killorn.(For picks or for Josh Anderson at 50% retained? -Wishful thinking probably)
Resign Palat if he takes 4m or less.
Sign Paul at what Ottawa offered him (or what he asked from them was it? Like 3x3 I think I read)
Trade McD (love you but it's time. You or Hedman and it's not Hedman going. Time to get younger on D. Yes i know NTC. Ask to waive.)
Resign Rutta hopefully 2m or less.
Need a 3rd pair LD. One of our college prospects or sign someone. 7 D with 4 RD (Cermak rutta bogo foote) and Need one more with Hedman & Serg.

My thoughts...

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Trade Killorn.(For picks or for Josh Anderson at 50% retained? -Wishful thinking probably)
Resign Palat if he takes 4m or less.
Sign Paul at what Ottawa offered him (or what he asked from them was it? Like 3x3 I think I read)
Trade McD (love you but it's time. You or Hedman and it's not Hedman going. Time to get younger on D. Yes i know NTC. Ask to waive.)
Resign Rutta hopefully 2m or less.
Need a 3rd pair LD. One of our college prospects or sign someone. 7 D with 4 RD (Cermak rutta bogo foote) and Need one more with Hedman & Serg.

My thoughts...
They could keep McD one more year and still re-sign Palat and Paul, but Rutta is likely gone in that case.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Trade Killorn for Ethan Bear and a pick, trade Bellemare for a late pick, sign Walker and Guttman, extend Paul and Palat, bring up Perbix and Koepke. Essentially inject youth and speed to this team and retool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad