Prospect Info: 2022 NHL Prospect Showcase | September 16th - 19th | Invisalign Arena and PNC Arena, N.C.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Baby Bolts lose 5-2.

Some players I liked: first and foremost Hugo Alnefelt. I said before the game I wanted to see a better performance from him this time and he delivered. I thought Declan Carlile looked really good. This was my first time seeing him live and he played really well. He's got good mobility, skates well, and can make some plays with the puck. Wasn't really expecting him to stand out as the undrafted guy, but he was noticeable. Jack Thompson had some nice plays in the 2nd period. I believe he sprung Koepke for a breakaway and then had another stretch pass for someone else. And in the 3rd Perbix really showed up. His big shot on the PP led to the Bolts first goal to make it 2-1, and his open ice hit gave them another PP to potentially tie the game. Props to Carlile too who dropped the gloves after the Preds came after Perbix. Fortier was Fortier, and I mean that as a compliment. Fast, aggressive, a little gritty, played hard on the forecheck and backcheck. He played his game.

Some players that were "eh" - Lucas Edmonds. Made some nice little plays, but you can see he's gonna need some time. Tried to thread the needle a few too many times which led to turnovers, and looked like a player out of juniors, even though he's a little older. Cam MacDonald kinda went under the radar. Just thought that was worth mentioning after the McDonnell-Element-MacDonald line was really the Bolts best line in this tournament last year. Both Element and MacDonald really didn't have that same impact in game 1 today.

And some frustrating players - Max Cajkovic. Took 2 bad penalties, but also didn't really do anything positive. IIrc last year he had a 2 goal game in this tournament so I was hoping to see him come out strong, but it just didn't happen. The other guy for me was Finley. This is mainly to do with his 3rd period penalty which took the Bolts off the PP down 2-1 with a chance to tie the game and riding some momentum. A minute later Nashville scores to put the game out of reach. Can't have that.

Bolts have a practice day tomorrow before playing the Panthers on Sunday in PNC Arena at 1:00pm

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

A self-described rattlesnake...
"He's a Bolt," said Lightning assistant general manager and director of player development Stacy Roest. "He works hard. He's quick. He's fast. He's smart. He competes. We liked him last year and we were fortunate enough to sign him this year.

"Small, quick, smart, competitive - which is a lot like Yanni (Gourde). Obviously, you don't want to compare him too much to anybody right now. Let him get through camp, see how he does in the rookie tournament and then see how he does in main camp."
The comparison to Gourde is one that Robert thought about himself before making the decision to sign with Tampa Bay over the summer. Robert has spent time training with Gourde in the offseason and sees some inspiration in the former Bolt's journey to the NHL.

"I've seen a lot of guys come through Tampa that play the way I try to play," Robert explained. "I've trained with Yanni Gourde over the summer. There was Jonathan Marchessault and some other guys like them that played with the Lightning. That gave me confidence to come here.

"I talked with Julien BriseBois before signing here and I'm just really happy with my decision so far. It was a big summer for me. I had a lot of discussions with a couple of teams. I just decided and had a gut feeling that coming here would be good for me."
"I worked hard in a lot of areas this summer," Robert explained. "I worked a lot on my speed and tried to get a little more jump. I got a little bit stronger. I worked on my craft offensively.

"I want to show that I'm tough to play against and I can be a future player for the Tampa Bay Lightning. I'm just really excited to be here. I want to show this team that I'm a proven AHL player and I can take that next step to be a tool for the NHL team as well."

I'm glad young players still know our reputation for developing smaller forwards. It sucks to see a guy like Sammy Walker choose a team like Minnesota over us when Minnesota's known for having Tyler Johnson and Minnesota native/UMD player J.T. Brown as invites in back to back years and they didn't sign either one of them. Obviously that was a different GM than the one they have now, but still.

I'm not sure what Robert's potential is, but if you've got something, this is the place to be. Just looking across the locker room he can see Gabriel Fortier who has some NHL games under his belt already and could be on the the opening night roster in a few weeks.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Nice play by Goncalves to Finley and nice goal by Finley. He didn't score too many goals last year from more than 5 feet out

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
MacArthur a little behind his guy. He had just gotten an earful from Groulx the shift before too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad