GDT: 2022 NHL Draft Round 1 - Leafs Currently Pick 38th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Good morning draft people. As I'm sure most of us know, we are picking 25th tonight in what's looking like a pretty good draft. Should be lots of talent around where we're picking.

Thought I'd get the party started and start the GDT early today. Let's see some lists or wants at 25.

Personally my favourite *realistic* guys:

1. Denton Mateychuk
2. Gleb Trikizov (no idea what's happening with Russia though)
3. Liam Ohgren
4+. Goyette, Chesley, Firkus, McGroarty, Korchinski

I'll post my final 96 when I'm on my laptop later.

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
My guess is we trade back for more picks if we don't trade the pick for a goalie upgrade or help on wing.
Russian picks are super scary this year
hope Owen Pickering falls to us

No idea about the prospects but looking forward to watching tonight.

What's the odds on the Leafs actually picking 25th?
I have a felling we move the pick....Bryce McConnell-Barker is ranked 34th and can you guess his JR team? He is 6'1 and almost 200lbs so he may not fit our type of player lol

Reactions: 67leafs

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
My guess is we trade back for more picks if we don't trade the pick for a goalie upgrade or help on wing.

I have a felling we move the pick
Me too. Hoping for a blockbuster trade.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Depends on how the draft goes. By most or all accounts the Leafs have made the pick relatively untouchable so they've clearly zoned in on some players. It appears they're going to pick early and not trade it for a NHL player now. If their guy(s) go I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a trade down to recoup a pick. As trading up is a market inefficiency (unless a huge guy drops) I doubt we see it happen.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I don't know shit about this year's draft.

Somebody hype up some players.

Any Tom Wilson types in our range?

How about any Muzzins ?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

I have a felling we move the pick....Bryce McConnell-Barker is ranked 34th and can you guess his JR team? He is 6'1 and almost 200lbs so he may not fit our type of player lol
BMB being a relatively lackluster player is why he isn't a fit for the team in the 1st. Not to mention hes ranked 34th for NA players. Most lists have him outside the 2nd round.

Reactions: stickty111

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
BMB being a relatively lackluster player is why he isn't a fit for the team in the 1st. Not to mention hes ranked 34th for NA players. Most lists have him outside the 2nd round.
Mostly tongue in cheek. He is a Soo kid

What are your thoughts on Owen Pickering?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I don't know shit about this year's draft.

Somebody hype up some players.

Any Tom Wilson types in our range?

How about any Muzzins ?
There are no Wilson's. Some people love Reid Schaefer who plays a Matt Tkachuk style of game, but I'm not a fan. Poor skating + oldest player in the draft + no history of production his entire career. I have him as a HM, but apparently he's going in the 2nd round.

Also the most Muzzin-type player is Bischel, but his offensive upside is not near what Muzzin brings. Lots of development required, but he's got legit top-4 upside that I wouldn't give credit to most 1-way defenders. Still have him in the late 30s though because the guy hasn't figured out how to use his tools efficiently. Pickering is probably closer when he realizes he's 6'4", but his IQ issues and lack of production/inability to dominate in the W is concerning.

As for hype, based on the guys rumoured, Mateychuk is the prize. Ohgren is arguably my favourite player in the draft. We're also linked to McGroarty who I love, Ostlund who id be happy with, and Del Bel Belluz who I wouldn't be.

Last edited:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Mostly tongue in cheek. He is a Soo kid

What are your thoughts on Owen Pickering?
I like him more than most on this board, but I also have him as a late 30's/early 40's type so not as much as the prospect "experts". The dude had a massive growth spurt and doesn't look awkward out there, and he's a legit plus skater with strong puck skills. He's got a solid first pass and knows his way around the offensive zone. The issues stem from consistency with his decisions, there's lots of IQ question marks, his defense is hit or miss, especially in transition and on the breakout. He's also not nearly as physical as you'd expect for a guy his size- which is why I think a lot of people prefer Warren/Bischel.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

With the Leafs already having traded away their own picks from 2022 for 2nd (Giordano), 3rd (Dave Rittich), 4th (Nick Foligno), 5th (Ben Hutton) , and 6th (Riley Nash) round picks in this draft, and only made 3 picks from last year I say the odds are very good they won't be picking in the 1st with their own pick either.

So with only 3 picks again including the manufactured one from dealing Dermott, it seems more likely then not we won't be picking at #25 either today.

However I expect the Leafs to more likely trade back and pick up and extra pick in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
My Favourite players in that possible range:

Bischel, Chelsey, Mesar, Hutson

My 2 Sleeper picks: Noah Warren, Adam Sykora

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
If the Leafs added McGroarty, they could have a very deep and well balanced forward group in a year or 2. Especially if Amirov has a full recovery.

Amirov Matthews Marner
Robertson Tavares Nylander
Knies Holmberg McGroarty
Bunting/Hirvonen Kampf Tverberg

I think those bottom 2 lines would be menacing to play against

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
With the exception of a few high picks and the occasional 4th rounder who everyone missed on the NHL draft is not a huge influence on next year. What % of players reach the NHL, what % will make it yr 1, and how many actually have an impact.
Next yr is a potential cup year for the Leafs. I do not care about 2025 season without a cup now. We do not even have any idea that Sandin will make it and we have waited 4 yrs.
Trade the pick, do what you can to load up NOW.

Reactions: Clyde Brewer

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I have a feeling that it's not going to be McGroarty. Dubas's comment about not necessarily getting the type of player who is going to step in right away makes me feel like they're eyeing some guys with flaws that need to be worked out (e.g., Del Bel Belluz) or a Russian.

mistaclick

Feb 2, 2022
Bichsel
Ostlund
Kulich
Ohgren
Chesley
Mateychuk (highly doubt)
McGroarty

and a few others if they fall. All it will take are a few reaches before us and we might get a gift. Let’s hope ladies and gents. I’ll be working late and will miss the draft of course, rip. :’( All that scouting to miss it, oh well

Reactions: kb and Morgs

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
There are so many good picks from the 15-45 range this year. Draft is deep going into the 2nd.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Mateychuk, Yurov or Nazar are very distant possibilities that would be great if they fell for whatever reason.

My top 5 favourites going into tonight: Ohgren, Snuggerud, McGroarty, Pickering and Firkus. At least one of these players will be there I think.

Goyette, Howard, Ostlund, Hutson, Chesley, Mesar and DDB would be really good too but I think I'd be more comfortable if we dropped drown to pick them up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad