Red Sox/MLB 2022 MLB Off Season - Bogaerts has made the decision to opt out of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
1665012599810.jpeg

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Rooting for:

1. Guardians (Tito)
2. Padres (Never won/team actually spends to try and win while most organizations don't)
3. Mariners (Never won, good fanbase)
4. Mets (Know lots of Mets fans (most importantly Lou)/would piss off Yankees fans)

That's it. f*** the rest of them.

Reactions: 08SeaBass08 and CDJ

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Braves over Yankees.

I'd like to see the Mets or Phillies in the WS, but Atlanta's too hot right now. A Subway Series would be great for baseball, as much as I'd love for Cole to implode and the Yanks lose in the ALDS. Phillies/Jays would be incredible because every game would end 16-15, but Toronto fans get so annoying when they're competitive that I hope the Mariners sweep them in 2.

Basically anything but Dodgers/Astros again.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I don't have access to NESN but am listening to the WEEI postgame, Castiglione and McDonough are getting emotional about the season ending and are gushing complimenting each other. At this point you don't know how many more years Joe Castiglione has left in the booth either.

Reactions: BMC and Mione134

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
This is not to bash Devers as everyone is different but I see he listens to questions in English and then still relays his answers to a translator in Spanish. Just found that interesting.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Rooting for:

1. Guardians (Tito)
2. Padres (Never won/team actually spends to try and win while most organizations don't)
3. Mariners (Never won, good fanbase)
4. Mets (Know lots of Mets fans (most importantly Lou)/would piss off Yankees fans)

That's it. f*** the rest of them.
I'd be ok if Pujols went out a champion. Otherwise, I have always hated the Cardinals.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’m going Bieber/Cle, Manoah/Tor, and Darvish/SD for Friday’s slate

I don’t like how Tampa is entering the playoffs. Manoah is a stud and not just against the Sox. And Darvish has silenced the Mets this season to date…that could just mean the Mets are due against him though

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I'm mainly pulling for the Braves, Blue Jays, and Cardinals. It would be nice to see Atlanta go back to back, Canada have a champion for the first time since '92 especially with all the hard work the Blue Jays put in, or Pujols get one final ring. The rest of them can go pound wet sand.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Positive note- Barnes somehow ended the year with acceptable numbers and a positive WAR

12 scoreless appearances to end the season.

2nd half of the season

24 games

22.2 IP
19 H
4 ER
9 BB
20 K
1.59 ERA

He came back from beyond the grave and made himself a useful pitcher again. Pretty remarkable and it flew under the radar. I thought he was burnt toast.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Positive note- Barnes somehow ended the year with acceptable numbers and a positive WAR

2nd half of the season

24 games

22.2 IP
19 H
4 ER
9 BB
20 K
1.59 ERA

He came back from beyond the grave and made himself a useful pitcher again. Pretty remarkable and it flew under the radar. I thought he was burnt toast.
Matty Backpacks really came back.

If he van do this next year? I will be pleasantly surprised. Same with Schreiber.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim

2nd half of the season

24 games

22.2 IP
19 H
4 ER
9 BB
20 K
1.59 ERA

This goes to show how volatile (non elite) RP are. That's why it rarely makes sense to overpay/trade for them, even for the elite ones.

Wouldn't mind Barnes being back in a lesser role, but Bloom dropped the ball well before when he should have dealt him when Barnes was considered to be one of the best RP in the game.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Red Sox brain trust speaks - no sign of Henry and Werner

They did announce that there will be a 1.5-2% increase in season ticket prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Red Sox brain trust speaks - no sign of Henry and Werner

They did announce that there will be a 1.5-2% increase in season ticket prices.

Well isn't that nice of them to acknowledge they don't give a rats ass about the fans when you finish last, over the tax and still raise ticket prices.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
This is not to bash Devers as everyone is different but I see he listens to questions in English and then still relays his answers to a translator in Spanish. Just found that interesting.
Languages are hard to pick up, especially if you're in an environment surrounded by your native language. I've studied Spanish for years and feel I'm pretty good at understanding written and spoken Spanish for the most part, but I don't have the confidence to take on a full conversation with someone, especially if it's in front of cameras and 2 million people were watching me. Raffy is like 25, he would've graduated in high school in like 2016. He's still picking it up, but the fact that he's listening in English and trying to comprehend it shows he's making the attempt to get there.

I don't know if pro organizations offer language classes and whether they're mandatory or optional. But the language gap in the league is real. Like when Manny played here, I always felt he came across as a little slow. When he gave English interviews it was at a very simple level. But once I heard an interview he did in Spanish and it shocked me how much more quick and sharp he was speaking his own language. It made me reconsider how I look at the latin players a lot. I think everyone who is learning a language wants to try to express themselves but is afraid of making mistakes or looking dumb. Old traditionalist color commentators like Jack Morris or whoever get all mad about how Ohtani or Latin players need to use a translator, but people forget it. But then there's times like when Melky Cabrera won the All-Star Game MVP and tried to give his interview in English and it was cringeworthy with how broken it was - nobody wants to expose themselves to b made fun of like he was, so it discourages them from trying. Plus I've heard Ohtani and Ichiro do both speak English and could do interviews just fine, but continued to use their translators because they like them and want to keep a fellow Japanese person gainfully employed and to be on the road with them.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

By far the hardest part of learning a language is being able to speak it conversationally. Learning how to read and hear it is much easier.

Reactions: McGarnagle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad