WJC: 2022 IIHF WM U20 D2A/D2B

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, looks like it's time to say what I said to Danish people yesterday: it ended the way it had to.. Also, as expected, Italy looks a step ahead of GB this year.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
As it's proven time and again, you can't expect to win without top-end players. Guys like Grinius, or Krakauskas, or Kaleinikovas.. Our top guys are just mediocre this year. On the bright side, really good, close game against a very strong GB side and two of the best teams out of the way. Time to really focus and beat the ones you need to beat now.

2/7 on PP is also really good, that's very important against the weaker teams.

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
Waiting for Alex Graham to stop pouting his way through the tournament and look like he actually wants to be there.

Glad some of the less-heralded players like McKenzie and Howells are doing well and picking up the slack. Grubb needs to let Steele off the leash and let him play his game.

Reactions: BMann

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Waiting for Alex Graham to stop pouting his way through the tournament and look like he actually wants to be there.

Glad some of the less-heralded players like McKenzie and Howells are doing well and picking up the slack. Grubb needs to let Steele off the leash and let him play his game.

I have been really disappointed with Steele's usage

He's not even on the 2nd PP unit

Reactions: BMann

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Spain is kinda scary. They took Korea to OT and are hanging in against Italy now. Best generation of Spanish hockey ever?

And they are playing an even game against Italy for 2 periods straight. By far, by far the stiffest competition Italy has faced so far. From Lithuania's perspective, really worrisome.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Korea wins in the SO against GB thus making a very serious claim for medals and more or less killing GB's promotion hopes (if they had such). As a reminder, we beat Korea 4-0 in the pre-tournament friendly, that result seems very suspicious now.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So many wasted PPs... Terrible.

Also Romanian player got 3 minor penalties and a penalty shot called against him in a period.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Not going to lie, the way this year's tournament has been going it's a relief to ensure at least being clear of relegation.

Romania with 17 minor penalties in a game, now that's ridiculous.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So a loss to Spain. Not really unexpected the way tournament has been going but unexpected in the sense that this has to be the strongest Spanish U20 squad ever. Romania is doomed.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Ah yes, the eternal classic of IIHF junior lower divisions, getting bonehead major penalty in the most important game for your team. Well, much like France did before, Poland is making this interesting.

41:0420 minPOL7. SLUSARCZYK JakubGame Misconduct Penalty
41:045 minPOL7. SLUSARCZYK JakubBoarding / Served by: 23 KASPRZYK D
Second period
39:362 minPOL17. KAPICA FabianUnsportsmanlike Conduct
39:362 minPOL17. KAPICA FabianSlashing
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Getting extra 2 for nothing on the first penalty and then a major on PK, leaving your team to play 5 on 3 for 2,5 minutes. Way to sabotage yourself, boys.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well done Estonia. Poles were obviously the more talented team but they deserved to lose. They will probably blame the ref for the disallowed goal and whatnot but ultimately, they blew it.

Reactions: tornaado66

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
Great job, Estonia! If Poland beats Ukraine on regular time, Estonia has to take at least 2 points from Japan. Interesting final day coming.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Well done Estonia. Waiting for a Denmark-Estonia match up next year. Pretty sure it's been a long time these two faced each other.

Reactions: Pardus

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I led us all to the wrong thread :ha:

Great job, Estonia! If Poland beats Ukraine on regular time, Estonia has to take at least 2 points from Japan. Interesting final day coming.
I mean Poles have some chances against Ukraine (little though) but Estonia definitely has none against Japan so the scenario you wrote seems very, very unrealistic :laugh:

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
I led us all to the wrong thread :ha:

I mean Poles have some chances against Ukraine (little though) but Estonia definitely has none against Japan so the scenario you wrote seems very, very unrealistic :laugh:

Yeah, I know. :D But who knows, Estonia's U18 players (Potšinok twins, Kontseus, Stepanov, Kudeviita, Vladimirov) have done amazing job so far, so anything can happen. As Romania showed us today against GB.

Interesting final day coming also in this topic's level 2A. Any bets on Lithuania's destination? Staying in 2A or relegating to 2B?

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Embarrassing result for GB.

A bit of trivia, no GB team at u18 or u20 level coached by Martin Grubb has ever won promotion from D2A. The one time the u18s did get promoted Tony Hand was the coach. The u20 team always bounced between D1B and D2A when other people coached the team but since he took over they have been firmly cemented in D2A

Reactions: ChaiTiefling

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Interesting final day coming also in this topic's level 2A. Any bets on Lithuania's destination? Staying in 2A or relegating to 2B?
I'm very calm about us staying, honestly. I don't know what's the deal with GB (year after year, frankly) but no way this Romanian team can beat Spain.

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
This is just my thought but how strict discipline is there in team GB? Do players take these WC tournaments seriously enough? Or are they just having fun abroad?

I remember this kind of problems with Estonia's national team back in the days and also with Finland. There were some players acting "not so professional" on their spare time.

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
This is just my thought but how strict discipline is there in team GB? Do players take these WC tournaments seriously enough? Or are they just having fun abroad?
Some do definitely, usually the less-heralded players. This year look at Hopkins, Howells, McKenzie, the Endicott/Russell/Goodchild energy line. All putting a shift in every game and getting rewarded. Then you have the Alex Grahams - all the talent in the world but looks like he doesn't want to be there, drifting when the puck's not on his stick and reluctant to give it up when it is.

I would also echo the Grubb sentiment, a fantastic coach at club level but his international record is dire. Every tournament plays out the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad