U18: 2022 IIHF WC U18 Men - Division 1B (Asiago, ITA) - 25 Apr - 01 May 2022

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
In the first game Ukraine beat Poland 6:1, the score is flattering Ukrainians, but they were clearly the better team. Poland had nothing going on for them for most of the game and probably now will get relegated.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, yet another fairly poor generation by Poles.. Usually, they might have some chance against Italy but definitely not this year.

Switlo

Oct 19, 2011
Yeah, yet another fairly poor generation by Poles.. Usually, they might have some chance against Italy but definitely not this year.
Fury, hi there! Do you think our boys have a chance to win this division? I mean Team Ukraine of course. I’ve caught a glimpse of today’s game and quite like how the boys looked. Good PP as well. My Jets are going down in flames this year, would be nice to have something to cheer for at least UA team could give good vibes..I hope.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Fury, hi there! Do you think our boys have a chance to win this division? I mean Team Ukraine of course. I’ve caught a glimpse of today’s game and quite like how the boys looked. Good PP as well. My Jets are going down in flames this year, would be nice to have something to cheer for at least UA team could give good vibes..I hope.
Hey! Sad to disappoint you but it's very unlikely.

I mean stranger things have happened (see Ukraine winning it in 2018 vs Austria led by Rossi and Baumgartner,) but it's definitely very tough, I think 3rd place is a realistic goal to aim for.

Switlo

Oct 19, 2011
Hey! Sad to disappoint you but it's very unlikely.

I mean stranger things have happened (see Ukraine winning it in 2018 vs Austria led by Rossi and Baumgartner,) but it's definitely very tough, I think 3rd place is a realistic goal to aim for.
Thank you for the honest answer
Anyways it’s a big deal for boys to play at the international event during this horrible time. Proud of them.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The situation in the group getting really interesting, don't know who could have expected Austrians to start 0-2. Don't think Hungary is a real contender at all so anyone can still finish anywhere. Except for Poland. They are dead.

Reactions: Switlo

Switlo

Oct 19, 2011
The situation in the group getting really interesting, don't know who could have expected Austrians to start 0-2. Don't think Hungary is a real contender at all so anyone can still finish anywhere. Except for Poland. They are dead.
Djakuju. Gonna be interesting to watch things unfold there. UA - SLO could be pivotal game tomorrow.
How do you think are whl, ohl, qmjhl scouts present at the tournament?

GammaAway

Jun 24, 2020

I really wish we could have at least a bit of hope :(

Like, one player who could get drafted in the 7th round would be nice. Maybe Sobecki can move to Slovakia or something and try extra hard, kid has 2 full seasons before eligibility and is already leading his u18 national team in goals. Please?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Djakuju. Gonna be interesting to watch things unfold there. UA - SLO could be pivotal game tomorrow.
How do you think are whl, ohl, qmjhl scouts present at the tournament?
Frankly, I doubt it, especially with elite division U18s going on at the same time. I don't think the scouting budgets of those teams are that big, they probably just watch the tape of the kid they are interested in.

Regarding Polish prospects, it will happen eventually. Just like GB had Kirk. Polish hockey is very much not dead, it's just bad :laugh: But if you throw enough mud at the wall something will stick. Lyszczarczyk was pretty close after all, to getting drafted at least.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
@kabidjan18 Are you ever here? Any insight into how is Austria so bad?
I'm not sure what's up but every year it seems the U18 team does worse and worse as the prospects we produce get better and better.

We have the youngest team in the tournament. We shouldn't have the youngest team in the tournament. Also, a lot of players come from the same region...some are highly qualified and some are less than highly qualified. It's a bit sad but when I talked to coaches in the past of the U18 team they're like "it's D3 WM...who cares?" But with that attitude of course it's hard to ever leave D3 WM.

Over time I've kinda come to accept that the U18 WM doesn't really mean anything, at least as an indicator for our prospects. The only sad thing is that often times it's the last hockey of the season so agents are kinda on the fence about "is this guy ready to be set up with a CHL team" and they might come away from this tournament thinking they're not. Particularly, I wonder if this hurts Thomas Klassek's stock, because his draft year is next year, but an agent could come away from this thinking he's not ready for the CHL. And who knows, maybe he isn't, maybe another year would do him good.

Reactions: ozo

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I'm not sure what's up but every year it seems the U18 team does worse and worse as the prospects we produce get better and better.

We have the youngest team in the tournament. We shouldn't have the youngest team in the tournament. Also, a lot of players come from the same region...some are highly qualified and some are less than highly qualified. It's a bit sad but when I talked to coaches in the past of the U18 team they're like "it's D3 WM...who cares?" But with that attitude of course it's hard to ever leave D3 WM.

Over time I've kinda come to accept that the U18 WM doesn't really mean anything, at least as an indicator for our prospects. The only sad thing is that often times it's the last hockey of the season so agents are kinda on the fence about "is this guy ready to be set up with a CHL team" and they might come away from this tournament thinking they're not. Particularly, I wonder if this hurts Thomas Klassek's stock, because his draft year is next year, but an agent could come away from this thinking he's not ready for the CHL. And who knows, maybe he isn't, maybe another year would do him good.
Chin up! At least your favorite countries prospects are not flat out banned from the CHL draft. :D

Reactions: kabidjan18

GammaAway

Jun 24, 2020
Poland with arguably not the worst game. Macias really stepped it up, although you'd expect it from the 18 y.o captain.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Ok so Ukraine - Hungary now, victory basically ensures promotion. I'm actually not sure which team getting promoted would be a bigger surprise..

Switlo

Oct 19, 2011
Ok so Ukraine - Hungary now, victory basically ensures promotion. I'm actually not sure which team getting promoted would be a bigger surprise..
Unfortunately our fate now is in hands of others. That was a good match, I salute to Hungarians. And of course huge respect to our chlopci. I really enjoyed this tournament. I can see the bright future for the boys.

Слава Україні

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Ukraine seemingly have couple of very young and decent looking kids (not the best wording, I know) in various NA leagues when I look at the preliminary roster, but only Pazii reported. He has gathered a decent statistics as a fifteen year old so hopefully he can become a serious pro player down the road.

Also I'm somewhat surprised how ineffective the only CHLer Anton Yatyshin has been, you sort of expect at least some production from him imo.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Overall, I think this is a solid generation for Ukraine but really nothing out of the ordinary. Not comparable to 17/18 Peresunko/Morozov one. So it will solidify Ukraine's position in D1B but not much more in the long run. Pazii, however, absolutely looks like an A-grade prospect for that level.

Also I'm somewhat surprised how ineffective the only CHLer Anton Yatyshin has been, you sort of expect at least some production from him imo.

Yet another highly touted prospect ruined by the CHL route :sarcasm: On a more serious note, we have seen many times at a bit higher level how playing in the CHL has ceded to be this stamp of quality it once was.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Ukraine seemingly have couple of very young and decent looking kids (not the best wording, I know) in various NA leagues when I look at the preliminary roster, but only Pazii reported. He has gathered a decent statistics as a fifteen year old so hopefully he can become a serious pro player down the road.

Ukraine only have 3 decent prospects and that is Artur Cholach, Daniil Trakht and Oleksandr Shapovalov

Yatyshin is nothing special. Only 9 points in WHL. Pazii is too young, we will see where he is 2 seasons from now.

• Haha
Reactions: kudla

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Ukraine only have 3 decent prospects and that is Artur Cholach, Daniil Trakht and Oleksandr Shapovalov

Yatyshin is nothing special. Only 9 points in WHL. Pazii is too young, we will see where he is 2 seasons from now.
I have to admit, your posts about about smaller international hockey nations annoy me to no extent lol. Yes, Yatyshin is no worldbeater in WHL, but this is 1B level of international hockey, he just faced players that until now have never played the game outside of Serbia and had 0 tangible output.

Out of curiosity, Cholach aside, how long did you think before you pulled Trakht's and Shapovalov's name out of the hat as the only decent prospects for Ukraine?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad