2022 HFNHL Florida Panthers Draft Review

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Round 1, #9 - Cutter Gauthier
NHL Selection - Round 1, #5 (+4)
Admittedly Gauthier was my second choice for trading up to this pick, but it is one I'll have to live with! Gauthier is a strong prospect in his own right. He should develop into a very well rounded SIM player too with good positional versatility.

Round 2, #63 - Julian Lutz
NHL Selection: Round 2, #43 (+20)
Had a ton of success with German players recently so I thought I would roll the dice again. Lutz had a tough year with injuries but hopefully he gets things back on track next year. And hopefully that team next year is the Soo Greyhounds.

Round 3 , #65 - Adam Ingram
NHL Selection: Round 3, #82 (-17)
Had a feeling that I might be taking Ingram higher than he would go in the NHL, but I also knew that he wouldn't last in the HFNHL. Didn't finish the year well but he is a very raw prospect with a ton of physical development to do. Great shot and two-way instincts. Long term project but I like the upside.

Round 3, #87 - Gavin Hayes
NHL Selection: Round 3, #66 (+21)
One of my draft favourites from the OHL and was happy that I could snag him. Power forward who can shoot the puck. Rest of his game needs to round out but as he gets a larger role in the OHL he shoud really blossom.

Round 4, #104 - Nick Moldenhauer
NHL Selection: Round 3, #95 (+9)
My top rated player heading into the day two selections. Had a miserable time with injuries to start the year but was one of the best players in the USHL to close out the year. He plays like that all year and he's a first rounder IMO. Hoping he heads to Sarnia of the OHL.

Round 4, #105 - George Fegaras
NHL Selection: Round 3, #83 (+22)
Another real favourite of mine heading into day two. Very raw two-way, right shot defender out of the OJHL. Could be a real diamond in the rough in 4-5 years.

Round 5, #141 - Connor Kurth
NHL Selection: Round 6, #192 (-51)
I was shocked that Kurth went this low after the USHL season he had. Needs to get a step quicker and improve his conditioning, but he is a high IQ, competitive goal scorer. Going to be a really good NCAA player IMO. Glad Tampa drafted him.

Round 5, #151 - Tucker Robertson
NHL Selection: Round 4, #123 (+28)
Can't say enough good things about Robertson. One of the OHL's most improved players and highest scoring 03's in the league. Can play in any situation. Maybe a low ceiling, but given the rapid rate of his development, who knows.

Round 5, #152 - Ivan Zhigalov
NHL Selection: Round 7, #225 (--73)
Mr. Irrelevant! Given how few picks Colorado had, I'm guessing they probably had him much higher on their list. Will be great to see him in Kingston next year. Has as good a chance as any goalie in this class to be a quality player IMO.

Round 6, #164 - Daimon Gardner
NHL Selection: Round 4, #112 (+52)
Big, power center who is really solid in transition attacking the middle of the ice. Strong puck protection skill and someone who I believe has a very high ceiling. Another big time project but the upside really intrigues me (and obviously the Canucks).

Round 6, #167 - Sandis Vilmanis
NHL Selection: Round 5, #157 (+10)
Honestly thought that he would go higher. But also very happy that he's coming to Sarnia. Solid North/South goal scorer who has the potential to round out his game further.

Round 6, #177 - Grayson Badger
NHL Selection: Unselected
This one shocked me a bit. Figured that someone would take a later round swing at him. Excellent athlete. Intense competitor who flashes great skill and speed combo at the prep level. I think NHL teams missed on this. Hoping he has a great year in the USHL next season and puts himself back on the map before going to Northeastern the following year.

Round 6, #184 - Tanner Dickinson
NHL Selection: Round 4, #119 - 2020 (+65)
If he didn't break his leg early in the season, there's no way I get him this late. He had really turned the corner this year as a prospect adding more levels to his game to be a more projectable pro to go with his elite speed. Hopefully he heals well and has a good start to his pro career next year.

Round 7, #216 - Jake Richard
NHL Selection: Round 6, #170 (+46)
This was the guy that I figured would go unselected, not Badger among my later round sleepers. But, I'll take it! Massive improvement over the USHL season. Skating needs work but he can really play below the goal line and create chances for himself and others. Barely stole him from Sean Keogh on Day 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad