Prospect Info: 2022 HFDevils Prospect Rankings #3

Who is the Devils' #3 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Luke is my number three, voit for Arseniy. All three guys are very close on my taste. If everything will going good, we have full top line in the pocket. I like Holtz this year more, but I should voit and decide how to make it. I saw a lot of ahl games year ago, guy was good with the puck, but I still have a lot of questions for his game without the puck. Both in offensive zone and in defensive zone. Question isn't only about skating. Nemec should be more active and get more experience to play one on one in defensive zone to close the gaps better. Luke should work on his positional defensive game. Gritsyuk should gain more weight and stabilize his game, feel better partners on his speed. Holtz has a bit more work than my top 3 guys. But the talent is there, may be hockey iq is limited, but even with it with better skating he can be more better all around player. Good to have him in prospect pool.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Just looking ahead, as I'm not sure if I'll get in on the next discussion, but Z over Grits looks like a pretty easy call.

Z is only 1.5 years older then Grits just had a goal heavy near ppg AHL season, and a 3-5-8 in 14 GP's, with a high shot rate, on the 3rd line to start his NHL career.

Also a stronger guy, with what sounds like better straight away speed (I must admit I was turned off a bit by the scouting reports which say Grits is not a great skater).

Since I'm already out in the future, as a fwd looking "add" I'm looking fwd to Filmon, though I know he's not deserving yet. Think he has a chance to rocket up the charts following this upcoming season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It’s between Holtz and Gritz for me on the next two. If Gritz comes over I think with time he becomes the more impactful player on all 3 areas of the ice.
On the one hand it's kind of safe to assume Holtz won't be an impactful player outside the offensive zone, on the other hand, how much do we really know much about Gritz in this regard?

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
i get why Gritsyuk is enticing but he’s still gonna be way down the list on my personal ranking. If the KHL season were 82 games long, Gritsyuk played at a 58 point pace last season at 21 years old. I feel like the KHL gets less competitive every year, and that production doesn’t scream “future top-6 winger” to me.

I’d put Mukhamadullin and most of the players who’ve shown some AHL success ahead of him, maybe even Casey.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
i get why Gritsyuk is enticing but he’s still gonna be way down the list on my personal ranking. If the KHL season were 82 games long, Gritsyuk played at a 58 point pace last season at 21 years old. I feel like the KHL gets less competitive every year, and that production doesn’t scream “future top-6 winger” to me.

I’d put Mukhamadullin and most of the players who’ve shown some AHL success ahead of him, maybe even Casey.
We also know that guys like Goose(also not a great skater) and an old shot out kovy, can tear it up in the KHL.

Which is not to say I think Grits is a Goose type player, because I truthfully don't know much about him, (I certainly hope he brings more defensively), but it's just being a little cautious about a guy who we've seen very little of.

Where as by comparison, Zetterund, like I mentioned above, his #'s last year were really good, both in the AHL and his short stint in the NHL.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
We also know that guys like Goose(also not a great skater) and an old shot out kovy, can tear it up in the KHL.

Which is not to say I think Grits is a Goose type player, because I truthfully don't know much about him, (I certainly hope he brings more defensively), but it's just being a little cautious about a guy who we've seen very little of.

Where as by comparison, Zetterund, like I mentioned above, his #'s last year were really good, both in the AHL and his short stint in the NHL.
At Gritsyuk’s age Zetterlund wasn’t doing much. Development is a tricky thing and hard to evaluate. I trust @Guadana who has given us the details on Gritsyuk. If he says he’s the real deal he’s in a better position to know than the rest of us with the possible exception of @StevenToddIves.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
At Gritsyuk’s age Zetterlund wasn’t doing much. Development is a tricky thing and hard to evaluate. I trust @Guadana who has given us the details on Gritsyuk. If he says he’s the real deal he’s in a better position to know than the rest of us with the possible exception of @StevenToddIves.
Wait till you hear what @xigon has to say about Tyce Thompson

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

yeah and it’s not like i don’t think his ceiling is still high, the possibility is there that Grits IS a top-6 winger, i just personally value the prospects that have proven they can be productive at a high level. For me that’s Zetterlund, Thompson, and Daws.

Probably not Foote cuz i think his ceiling is Bastian 2.0.

Reactions: RememberTheName

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
yeah and it’s not like i don’t think his ceiling is still high, the possibility is there that Grits IS a top-6 winger, i just personally value the prospects that have proven they can be productive at a high level. For me that’s Zetterlund, Thompson, and Daws.

Probably not Foote cuz i think his ceiling is Bastian 2.0.
I don't really get the whole, "productive at a high level" argument. The kid literally produced at a 60-point pace in the 2nd best league in the world as a 21 year old. That is absolutely fantastic production for someone so young in a league that is notorious for being ridiculously tough for young players to break out in. He was one of the best 5v5 forwards in the entire KHL this past season. I don't know what more you could possibly ask for production-wise out of him. Did you consider Yegor Sharangovich to have "proven himself at a high level" before he came over? I know everyone hear loves these little Twitter cards, so here was one for Gritsyuk done a little while back.

If you want to rank Daws ahead. I could 100% understand an argument for that. But Thompson and Zetterlund? Both are two years older and neither have had a season anywhere close to as impressive and promising simply looking at the numbers as Gritsyuk's season this year. To be fair, neither has Daws, but he's a goalie in his D+2 so we gotta give some leeway there. And this is not even considering their actual play on the ice (for which Gusev could not be a more terrible/lazy comparison to make, they play completely different games which bodes quite well for Gritsyuk). I feel like you might not realize how good of a season Gritsyuk had and how much promise he showed in the KHL.

I get that Zetterlund and Thompson had good seasons in the AHL, and of course there is some promise in those numbers, but there's more to the game than just putting up points in the AHL at age 23. Zetterlund at least showed well in his NHL stint, albeit a small sample size.

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I don't really get the whole, "productive at a high level" argument. The kid literally produced at a 60-point pace in the 2nd best league in the world as a 21 year old. That is absolutely fantastic production for someone so young in a league that is notorious for being ridiculously tough for young players to break out in. He was one of the best 5v5 forwards in the entire KHL this past season. I don't know what more you could possibly ask for production-wise out of him. Did you consider Yegor Sharangovich to have "proven himself at a high level" before he came over? I know everyone hear loves these little Twitter cards, so here was one for Gritsyuk done a little while back.

If you want to rank Daws ahead. I could 100% understand an argument for that. But Thompson and Zetterlund? Both are two years older and neither have had a season anywhere close to as impressive and promising simply looking at the numbers as Gritsyuk's season this year. To be fair, neither has Daws, but he's a goalie in his D+2 so we gotta give some leeway there. And this is not even considering their actual play on the ice (for which Gusev could not be a more terrible/lazy comparison to make, they play completely different games which bodes quite well for Gritsyuk). I feel like you might not realize how good of a season Gritsyuk had and how much promise he showed in the KHL.

I get that Zetterlund and Thompson had good seasons in the AHL, and of course there is some promise in those numbers, but there's more to the game than just putting up points in the AHL at age 23. Zetterlund at least showed well in his NHL stint, albeit a small sample size.

Some people still think that ahl is a higher level league than KHL and SHL. It’s ok. European leagues are somewhere far far away. People listened something and believe in that. Everyone has the right to be foolishly wrong if they didnt dive themselves into the question and don't know what they are talking about.
Anyway Zetterlunddid play in nhl and produced something, so for him it is an argumrnt still. He was nowhere close to be as good two years ago even to play regular role even in SHL, but now he show something in NHL. Here, at least, we can still somehow discuss. the rest of course is just frivolous and incompetent. but it's still an opinion.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I do wonder if Hartley has given Gritsyuk opportunities / ice time that no other young players get in the KHL, making him look better statistically than his peers. Like if Marchenko and Gritsyuk switched teams what would the impact be on their numbers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad