Prospect Info: 2022 Final Devils-Centric Mock Draft, Top 40 Picks

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Had no idea that Cutter Gauthier was from Arizona. Certainly adds another wrinkle to the Coyotes pick. Some similarities to 2019 when Chicago was picking 3rd and Turcotte was an option.
Chicago really biffed that pick, I was screaming at the tv that it shoulda been byram or turcotte

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
ok this is an honest question and would love any one’s thoughts because it’s genuine.

what’s the real difference between Gauthier and Slafkovsky? did Slaf just have a more high profile successful tournament? are they comparable in skill?

i guess i just see comparisons to someone like Kreider with Gauthier because he’s not afraid to get rough and rowdy but also has the skill to be a top line winger.

just wondering how they compare, especially since Steve in this mock has him going 3.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
ok this is an honest question and would love any one’s thoughts because it’s genuine.

what’s the real difference between Gauthier and Slafkovsky? did Slaf just have a more high profile successful tournament? are they comparable in skill?

i guess i just see comparisons to someone like Kreider with Gauthier because he’s not afraid to get rough and rowdy but also has the skill to be a top line winger.

just wondering how they compare, especially since Steve in this mock has him going 3.
From reading reviews, the main thing I discern is hockey IQ. Again, this is just from reading, as I have no clue what I'm doing when trying to evaluate prospects.
-edit-
Slaf may be considered less of a risk too, playing in a men's league. We don't know how much of Gauthier's success is due to playing against smaller competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
STI, I appreciate you not picking Lamoreaux at 37 even though it’s obviously what Fitz is gonna do.
Noah Warren is 6'5 and better at hockey than 6'7 Maveric Lamoureux. The idea that Lamoureux has "more upside" I think amounts to two inches. Warren is sounder defensively, displays a higher hockey IQ, makes fewer mistakes, is equal or above Lamoureux in pretty much every tool across the board, especially shooting.

Lamoureux is certainly likable in a some respects -- his size/skating combo is outstanding, his physicality is intimidating, his compete level is certainly extremely high. But right now, he's just over-reliant on size alone and needs so much work in the fundamental aspects of the game, whereas Warren is a very, very good defensive defenseman.

Again, it's not impossible that Fitzgerald goes for Lamoureux at #37. This would still be a better pick in most respects than last year's pick of Chase Stillman at #29. My ultimate nightmare is not Lamoureux, but Elias Salomonsson -- who might be the toolsets RD in the draft. However, while Lamoureux's hockey IQ would be considered in the slightly below average range, Salomonsson's seems to be well below that.

Ultimately, I'm an optimist, so I had the Devils making a far smarter pick with Warren. Warren is a very smart kid who thinks team-first and plays within himself. He doesn't leave position for a highlight reel hit which is Lamoureux's favorite thing to do, he doesn't make risky puck rushes with a one-goal lead in the 3rd period which seems to be Salomonsson's general play style. Warren just sits back and plays defense, gets the puck out of danger as quickly as possible, and in the offensive zone prefers to dish off to a better puck handler or, if he has time, utilize his howitzer shot from the point. I'm fine with the simplicity, especially since Warren is so terrific at defending.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Gauthier is a pure finisher who utilizes physicality as the foremost part of his game.

Slafkovsky is a finesse guy in a 220-pound package, but one who also realizes he's 220-pounds and can dominate with puck possession down low. He's more unpredictable offensively, he's a sublime passer and puck handler.

Gauthier has a better shot, and tends to play a more north/south offensive style, crashing the net and throwing defenders around like rag-dolls.

Slafkovsky uses his unique skill blend to create time and space down low, preferring the highlight reel pass, which he is absolutely capable of making. His game is to win puck battles, shield defenders with his size and elite hands, and find teammates through creative passing lanes.

Both create havoc down low, enabling the skill forwards to utilize increased room up high. Logan Cooley, in particular, was so much better when paired with Gauthier than with Ian Howard, who has more pure skill than Gauthier. Cutter Gauthier just draws so much defensive attention to the crease, but at the same time you can't allow him to just float a bit higher to the circles because his shot is so lethal from that area.

Slafkovsky is also capable of this style, but he is far more diverse in his skill set than Gauthier and is able to almost singlehandedly dominate possession, even down low and against older competition, as we saw in the Olympics and WCs. He's also superior in transition. They are both good defensively, but also both need a bit of work in that area.

With the physicality, I'd say Gauthier is constantly seeking ways to utilize it while Slafkovsky does not, but when he has the puck Slaf has this uncanny way of almost subliminally weaponizing it. Gauthier is the more physical and intimidating opponent, but Slafkovsky is the superior hockey talent.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Slaf is more puckprotecor who use his body to defend himself more, Gauthier is more aggressive, more crusher. Slaf is creator, Gauthier is more net oriented. Slaf is much better playmaker, Cutter is better shooter. Slaf is driver, Cutter isn't. Both pretty good in cycling. I belive they could be awesome as duo. Put Mercer on their wing, it could be awesome.
Anyway Slaf is projected as better player because of driving and IQ, he could easily develope his shot. Its good. Gauthier will not make his playmaking much better. He is good enough, he sees his partners, its just not his duty, he creates space and shoot the puck. And I would say Slaf is much better puckhandler, better manipulator. But it doesn't mean that Gauthier can be very productive, especially with right partners. Look at Kreider. Remember Arnott.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Noah Warren is 6'5 and better at hockey than 6'7 Maveric Lamoureux. The idea that Lamoureux has "more upside" I think amounts to two inches. Warren is sounder defensively, displays a higher hockey IQ, makes fewer mistakes, is equal or above Lamoureux in pretty much every tool across the board, especially shooting.

Lamoureux is certainly likable in a some respects -- his size/skating combo is outstanding, his physicality is intimidating, his compete level is certainly extremely high. But right now, he's just over-reliant on size alone and needs so much work in the fundamental aspects of the game, whereas Warren is a very, very good defensive defenseman.

Again, it's not impossible that Fitzgerald goes for Lamoureux at #37. This would still be a better pick in most respects than last year's pick of Chase Stillman at #29. My ultimate nightmare is not Lamoureux, but Elias Salomonsson -- who might be the toolsets RD in the draft. However, while Lamoureux's hockey IQ would be considered in the slightly below average range, Salomonsson's seems to be well below that.

Ultimately, I'm an optimist, so I had the Devils making a far smarter pick with Warren. Warren is a very smart kid who thinks team-first and plays within himself. He doesn't leave position for a highlight reel hit which is Lamoureux's favorite thing to do, he doesn't make risky puck rushes with a one-goal lead in the 3rd period which seems to be Salomonsson's general play style. Warren just sits back and plays defense, gets the puck out of danger as quickly as possible, and in the offensive zone prefers to dish off to a better puck handler or, if he has time, utilize his howitzer shot from the point. I'm fine with the simplicity, especially since Warren is so terrific at defending.
Agreed, I'd also add that too many people seem to lump in defense first players as low upside but we're talking about a kid who's one of the younger players in the class (July birthday) that's 6'5 220lbs (and plays like it) while being a surprisingly fast and fluid skater for his size. The idea there's 0 upside in a player with Warren's physical gifts and already well developing defensive game seems to just come from this misguided concept that stay at home defenseman aren't that valuable.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Agreed, I'd also add that too many people seem to lump in defense first players as low upside but we're talking about a kid who's one of the younger players in the class (July birthday) that's 6'5 220lbs (and plays like it) while being a surprisingly fast and fluid skater for his size. The idea there's 0 upside in a player with Warren's physical gifts and already well developing defensive game seems to just come from this misguided concept that stay at home defenseman aren't that valuable.
Agreed 1000%. Noah Warren is a great prospect.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
STI, I appreciate you not picking Lamoreaux at 37 even though it’s obviously what Fitz is gonna do.
and jack sparkes in the third

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Gauthier trending to Arizona is nice. I really like the kid and think he's a better fit than a Logan Cooley for them. I get people being oo'd and ahh'd over Cooley's skating and puck handling but Gauthier's the better hockey player in a sense that he's a fit no matter what team you put him on. I wouldn't even be remotely upset if the Devils took him #2. I'd go to bat for the kid any day of the week.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Gauthier trending to Arizona is nice. I really like the kid and think he's a better fit than a Logan Cooley for them. I get people being oo'd and ahh'd over Cooley's skating and puck handling but Gauthier's the better hockey player in a sense that he's a fit no matter what team you put him on. I wouldn't even be remotely upset if the Devils took him #2. I'd go to bat for the kid any day of the week.
It's pretty close between Gauthier and Cooley. I think Gauthier scores more goals and Cooley more assists at the NHL level, but I think the overall point totals will be close. Cooley is better in transition but Gauthier is more effective once in the offensive zone. Cooley ups your team's overall pace while Gauthier ups your overall physicality. Cooley has a higher floor but the upsides are about the same and Gauthier offers more versatility. I have these two virtually tied, they're both outstanding prospects.

I think Arizona goes with Gauthier at #3 because he changes the demeanor of what now stands as the most languid franchise in the NHL, while also offering some degree of excitement as a local Arizona product. He's a more charismatic kid than Cooley. Cutter Gauthier would be an outstanding pick for the Coyotes franchise.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
It's pretty close between Gauthier and Cooley. I think Gauthier scores more goals and Cooley more assists at the NHL level, but I think the overall point totals will be close. Cooley is better in transition but Gauthier is more effective once in the offensive zone. Cooley ups your team's overall pace while Gauthier ups your overall physicality. Cooley has a higher floor but the upsides are about the same and Gauthier offers more versatility. I have these two virtually tied, they're both outstanding prospects.

I think Arizona goes with Gauthier at #3 because he changes the demeanor of what now stands as the most languid franchise in the NHL, while also offering some degree of excitement as a local Arizona product. He's a more charismatic kid than Cooley. Cutter Gauthier would be an outstanding pick for the Coyotes franchise.
Yeah, I'm definitely one of the people that are down on Cooley compared to his general consensus rankings. I've consistently had him in the 6-7 range. It's a hodgepodge when trying to separate these kids right now. Not trying to dunk on Cooley by knocking him down the rankings, it's just I like the other guys more. Gauthier's just been consistently climbing the more I watch him. He's the type of player you think of when you say the words "playoff hockey." I know those can be trigger words for some people but he's not just a big brute body, he's a skilled goal scorer who, should he be able to man the dot at a high level, can be placed literally anywhere in your lineup. Kid's ceiling is sky high for me.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, I'm definitely one of the people that are down on Cooley compared to his general consensus rankings. I've consistently had him in the 6-7 range. It's a hodgepodge when trying to separate these kids right now. Not trying to dunk on Cooley by knocking him down the rankings, it's just I like the other guys more. Gauthier's just been consistently climbing the more I watch him. He's the type of player you think of when you say the words "playoff hockey." I know those can be trigger words for some people but he's not just a big brute body, he's a skilled goal scorer who, should he be able to man the dot at a high level, can be placed literally anywhere in your lineup. Kid's ceiling is sky high for me.
I'm not down on Cooley, I think he's great. But I'm concerned that people have bought into a weird narrative that smaller, faster players have higher upside and bigger kids somehow don't. There's a narrative people actually believe that Slafkovsky lacks upside, when the truth is he might have the greatest upside in the draft -- when was the last time we saw a 6'4-220 kid with speed and the best combination of playmaking/puckhandling in the entire draft?

Cooley's appeal to me is his floor, which is higher than anyone in this draft save maybe Wright and Nemec. He plays with outstanding pace, works hard and is smart. He's a 200-foot skater who is effective in all three zones and plays the game the right way. There's no chance in my mind he won't be at least an excellent 3C, and he's extremely likely to be an excellent 2C. My question is do his skills translate in a way where he can become a bona fide NHL 1C.

If I'm Arizona, Cooley is certainly a huge temptation at #3. And if things go the way I think with Arizona opting for Gauthier, I feel Seattle will be tempted to alter their pick from a RD at #4 and go for Cooley. But I'm sticking with Cooley at #5 to Philadelphia right now, and I'd also add that he would he an excellent pick in that spot.

Reactions: My3Sons

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Hey Steve, I'm having a feeling I might have already asked this question but a quick search didn't pop up anything.

My Uncle who's a Big Canucks fan seems to really want Ohgren with the 15th pick. Do you think that he's BPA-ish at that spot and is he a good fit for the Canucks?

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Cooley is better in transition but Gauthier is more effective once in the offensive zone. Cooley ups your team's overall pace while Gauthier ups your overall physicality.

And why I have 0 interest in Cooley. What he brings, if he hits his potential, is things we have in excess already. Gauthier is something we literally have 0 of.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Hey Steve, I'm having a feeling I might have already asked this question but a quick search didn't pop up anything.

My Uncle who's a Big Canucks fan seems to really want Ohgren with the 15th pick. Do you think that he's BPA-ish at that spot and is he a good fit for the Canucks?
obviously not steve but i think thats a fantastic addition for them if it happens. hes gotta be the ideal power winger in the modern NHL. skates well, passes well, shoots very well, competes hard, plays a complete game, theres just no shortage of good things to say about him. has the skill to effectively slot in their top 6 alongside a pettersson or horvat but still has the work ethic and intangibles to be a productive member of any line he winds up on. i have him at 10 and unfortunately cannot claim to be the highest on him as i believe cam robinson has him at 8 or something. feel like his offensive upside gets a little underrated by some of the public reports out there for no reason that i can figure out. good all-around players who lack truly dynamic skill apparently always get their ability to translate offense doubted (looking no further than mercer or lundell for other examples)

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Your uncle probably reads Cam Robinson, who is one of the best in the draft-writing business and also a huge Canucks fan. As @evnted said, Cam is the highest on Ohgren of anyone in the world of draft writing, and he presents a compelling case.

Again repeating @evnted -- Ohgren is one of those players with good qualities and tools across the board, with one singularly near-elite tool in the shooting department. He's a good skater and has very good size, but the most impressive qualities are his intangibles, which I'd call elite. Ohgren is a very smart kid who works incredibly hard, shift in and shift out.

The questions with Ohgren are whether his passing, speed and puck-handling play up to a potential 1st line role or a middle-6 role. Personally, I don't care. He's got a high floor and he's one of those kids who is so high character and intelligence he will find a way to produce. I see him as a semi-power forward you can slot all through your top three lines to get them going. Liam Ohgren plays the game the right way, which makes the comparison made by @evnted a pretty good one, although not stylistically.

I have Ohgren ranked #18 and am a big fan myself. I personally think this draft is pretty tight between a section as large as #10-#26, and as such I think Ohgren would be a pretty good pick anywhere in that area.

As for the Canucks, they pick #15 and, talent-wise, Ohgren makes sense. However, this is also a team desperate for young talent on the blueline. On the NHL level they have an all-star young offensive LD in Quinn Hughes, while they're bringing up a very good secondary offensive LD prospect in Jack Rathbone. In the prospect pool they have a pretty good defensive bottom-pair-type LD in Jacob Truscott, who is a few years away. On the right side, they have big problems with just a couple bottom-pairing type defensive RD in Jett Woo and Viktor Persson, with Persson still far away. And at the pro level, the blueline is pretty patchwork, anchored down by a couple bad contracts in Ekman-Larsson at LD and Myers at RD.

The Canucks need new blood, especially at RD, but also on the left. I think Ryan Chesley would make great sense, but he's not a sexy pick at #15. I can see them going for one of the high-upside LDs like Mintyukov or Korchinski or Pickering before Ohgren, however.

Reactions: evnted and My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad