2022 draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I don't think it's a bad center draft per se, but I don't think it's as strong as, say, 2019 for example.

If you're hellbent on using our first to find a top six center to accompany Larkin, I think you're probably overestimating the value of a pick in the #8-12ish range. Unless Yzerman truly cannot miss I don't think we'll get a Raymond or Seider level prospect this year, but hopefully a solid top 6F/top 4D who is likely a few years away from making an NHL impact.

Edit: McKenzie's list has already been posted, deleted.
It's certainly looking less illustrious than three years ago when Wright was playing almost like Crosby, and Savoie and Lambert were trending as top line centers. I have to wonder how much covid impacted their development last year. I do think that some of this is the classic: "this year's draft is only okay, next year's draft is crazy good" effect that sets in about this time of year.

It's also the case though that Cooley and Savoie being smaller, Lambert not producing more in Liiga and the general lack of "this guy will definitely be a center at the NHL level" prospects is the kind of circumstance that allows a team drafting 8-12th overall to get a player like Seider or Raymond. Raymond had low production and minutes in his draft year. Seider was playing in Germany with limited exposure. If any of these centers were hitting it out of the park this year, they'd immediately rise out of our range.

You are right I think, that we have to be careful as a fan base about setting the Yzerman draft expectations too high. Raymond and Seider have obviously turned out great so far. Edvinsson is trending just like you'd want him to. Yzerman also drafted Drouin over Jones, Slater Koekkoek over Filip Forsberg, Namestnikov, Deangelo and Foote in the first round. It's too soon, but we haven't seen an Yzerman drafted late pick take off in Detroit. With your scouting staff mattering more as the draft goes on, perhaps he won't be able to replicate the post first round success he had in Tampa. We have such a glaring need for a center that it feels like a failure to walk away with anything less than a 2C, but no one can guarantee that.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's certainly looking less illustrious than three years ago when Wright was playing almost like Crosby, and Savoie and Lambert were trending as top line centers. I have to wonder how much covid impacted their development last year. I do think that some of this is the classic: "this year's draft is only okay, next year's draft is crazy good" effect that sets in about this time of year.

It's also the case though that Cooley and Savoie being smaller, Lambert not producing more in Liiga and the general lack of "this guy will definitely be a center at the NHL level" prospects is the kind of circumstance that allows a team drafting 8-12th overall to get a player like Seider or Raymond. Raymond had low production and minutes in his draft year. Seider was playing in Germany with limited exposure. If any of these centers were hitting it out of the park this year, they'd immediately rise out of our range.

These are great things, that those talents are having problems. Eye-test comes more on the play, you have to see the talent over the production.

You are right I think, that we have to be careful as a fan base about setting the Yzerman draft expectations too high. Raymond and Seider have obviously turned out great so far. Edvinsson is trending just like you'd want him to.

Yzerman also drafted Drouin over Jones, Slater Koekkoek over Filip Forsberg, Namestnikov, Deangelo and Foote in the first round. It's too soon, but we haven't seen an Yzerman drafted late pick take off in Detroit.

I think we don't have to set expectations too high, but just trust Yzerman that he has the eye the pick the right talent. That talent group at our pick range is so equal, that there's equal players and you just take the guy you most like. It's that easy.

I wouldn't look anymore on those Tampa statistics. He was there - as a LEARNING GM - with different Scouting Director (who is also very great Al Murray), but as we have seen these every-year hits in-a-row now, Seider-Raymond-Edvinsson, I'm more than confident he'll pick a good center for us. A guy like Larkin at least, who just pans out.

This draft will be a bit mess, and I'm quite sure the talents won't go anyway in right order. This is the draft many will look later on in the past - why did these things happened. Why was somebody so stupid and somebody so smart. Eye-test comes in the play, more than heavy, before data-driven ranks.

And I couldn't think smarter guy making decisions - based on his scouts - than Yzerman, when it comes to eye-test.

Draper can f*** up the lower picks, but Yzerman won't f*** the highest picks.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
These are great things, that those talents are having problems. Eye-test comes more on the play, you have to see the talent over the production.

I think we don't have to set expectations too high, but just trust Yzerman that he has the eye the pick the right talent. That talent group at our pick range is so equal, that there's equal players and you just take the guy you most like. It's that easy.

I wouldn't look anymore on those Tampa statistics. He was there - as a LEARNING GM - with different Scouting Director (who is also very great Al Murray), but as we have seen these every-year hits in-a-row now, Seider-Raymond-Edvinsson, I'm more than confident he'll pick a good center for us. A guy like Larkin at least, who just pans out.

This draft will be a bit mess, and I'm quite sure the talents won't go anyway in right order. This is the draft many will look later on in the past - why did these things happened. Why was somebody so stupid and somebody so smart. Eye-test comes in the play, more than heavy, before data-driven ranks.

And I couldn't think smarter guy making decisions - based on his scouts - than Yzerman, when it comes to eye-test.

Draper can f*** up the lower picks, but Yzerman won't f*** the highest picks.
Every team has their misses in the draft. I just trust Yzerman is a smart guy who will hire other smart people and make picks that give them the best chance of building a successful team. He'll miss on some, but that's where his A+ free agent negotiating and trading comes in.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Mesar looks like a better skating Hudler.
He’s been really good in pretty much every game this season. It’s a shame he’s playing with grinders who have zero hockey iq or he would have at least 6-7 more points. He’s easily the best skater from the 2004 Slovaks, he just needs to work on strength and add some weight. It will be interesting to see what the team who selects him chooses to do for next season. I’m not sure he’s physically ready for AHL yet (although that is like 10ish months away). Perhaps to the OHL with Kingston.

Reactions: Frk It

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
He’s been really good in pretty much every game this season. It’s a shame he’s playing with grinders who have zero hockey iq or he would have at least 6-7 more points. He’s easily the best skater from the 2004 Slovaks, he just needs to work on strength and add some weight. It will be interesting to see what the team who selects him chooses to do for next season. I’m not sure he’s physically ready for AHL yet (although that is like 10ish months away). Perhaps to the OHL with Kingston.
OHL would be a good move for him. Having him be one of the top guns on a team, see how he can drive a line. I'm not gonna pretend I know how the team he's on in Slovakia runs things, but seeing how Slovakian hockey has been recently with corruption and what not, I'd rather have him come over, get used to the small ice, and be in a situation where he can focus on his development.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Care to elaborate? I'm iffy on Jiricek and I'd like to hear what you think

I'm not that sold on the defenseman in this draft, and it's not our most pressing need.

I would personally take all of Wright, Savoie, Yurov, Slafkovsky, Cooley, Geekie, Lambert, Kemell, Mirosnichenko before I would take Jiricek. And then I like Mesar and Nazar a lot too.

Last edited:

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
My top 6 is pretty set in stone now, not sure if we will have a chance to get any of these guys
  1. Cooley
  2. Savoie
  3. Jiricek
  4. Wright
  5. Nemec
  6. Nazar

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
This was posted over on the prospects board and I felt like sharing it here because I've enjoyed reading through it. I thought the guy did a pretty good job on his write ups and it definitely seems like it should be a solid top 15 picks or so. Mid-Season 2022 NHL Draft Rankings — Scrimmage and Stats

I got a chuckle when reading Kasper's profile and there was a typo with Mesar's name put in the sentence rather than Kasper since it seems like a lot of the guys on this board (myself included) like both of them around the range the wings are picking.

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Kasper is IMO a high floor, low ceiling guy. A good 3rd liner. I kinda want a more upside pick instead of a "safe" pick

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Kasper is IMO a high floor, no ceiling guy. A good 3rd liner. I kinda want a more upside pick instead of a "safe" pick

No ceiling? I call BS on that. He’s a very smart player with a good all around skill set, a great shot and an elite work ethic. He’s at minimum a 3rd liner, sure, but I can see him in a top 6.

He plays a very mature game and wants to be a strong 2 way player. Like I said before, go back and look at Erickson-ekk in his draft year. Or Svechkov or Lundell. They all played very mature 2 way games for their age group but that does not equate to limited upside.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
No ceiling? I call BS on that. He’s a very smart player with a good all around skill set, a great shot and an elite work ethic. He’s at minimum a 3rd liner, sure, but I can see him in a top 6.

He plays a very mature game and wants to be a strong 2 way player. Like I said before, go back and look at Erickson-ekk in his draft year. Or Svechkov or Lundell. They all played very mature 2 way games for their age group but that does not equate to limited upside.

Sorry, was a typo, should be low ceiling. Still agree with my thesis that I dont see much more than a 3rd liner

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Pepperidge Farm remembers the hot takes on Larkin at the end of last season and before this one.
Say it with a meme or it doesn;t count.

3830b5928cb0ef40d1c9bb704cea2d7c.jpeg

Reactions: golffuul
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad