2022/23 Roster Thread I: I Don't Know How Much Time I Have Left So I'm Going To Get Real Weird With It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I’ve never understood the JOB high ceiling, high risk profile that gets ascribed to him. From the minute he was drafted, I thought he had a mid tier ceiling, as in 45-55 point middle 6 type. If anything, I thought his skill set was high floor (high motor, multi-positional, versatile hands). Competition level is a real risk, but he was never this boom or bust player. I think the lesson, if anything, is a prospect must have an identifiable exceptional skill to grab onto if they’re playing down a level.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I’ve never understood the JOB high ceiling, high risk profile that gets ascribed to him. From the minute he was drafted, I thought he had a mid tier ceiling, as in 45-55 point middle 6 type. If anything, I thought his skill set was high floor (high motor, multi-positional, versatile hands). Competition level is a real risk, but he was never this boom or bust player. I think the lesson, if anything, is a prospect must have an identifiable exceptional skill to grab onto if they’re playing down a level.
The Hockey Writers seemed to be spot on with you.

NHL Potential

O’Brien has the tools to carve out a role in the middle six at the next level. He’s a bit of a longer-term project given that he’s just finishing up high school. With proper development, he could become one of the best early day-two picks.

Risk-Reward Analysis

Risk – 3.5/5, Reward – 3.5/5

They ranked him #44

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
From what I saw of JOB this season, there is something there with him. Best player on a good team. His problem was starting off at the wrong school. Then the transfer to BU was suspended for a season because of NCAA rules so he spent a year at a level that really wasn’t suited for development. I’d try to sign him rather than taking the comp pick.
O’Brien was a swing for the fences pick. Rubtsov was the one that hurt. So many injuries but he looked like a player coming out of Jr and they needed him to be at least a 3C.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Might be the best time to try and pulll a prov for nylander deal this summer. Toronto might need to make some moves to change it up. Would love horvat tho

Reactions: TheKingPin

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Hi, blues fan here. The blues will most likely be looking for a top 4 LHD this summer and there were rumors that they could be interested in Provorov. What do you guys need in terms of trade assets? Could the blues be a fit?

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Hi, blues fan here. The blues will most likely be looking for a top 4 LHD this summer and there were rumors that they could be interested in Provorov. What do you guys need in terms of trade assets? Could the blues be a fit?
Picks. Nothing but picks

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Might be the best time to try and pulll a prov for nylander deal this summer. Toronto might need to make some moves to change it up. Would love horvat tho
If the leafs are looking to make moves and change things up, I wonder if they would look to move Marner since he has that massive contract? Marner would give the Flyers a legit star forward to build around. Obviously it would cost Provorov + TK or Farabee and maybe another add but I’d rather part with the extra assets for a legit star than a plain 1 for 1 Provorov for Nylander deal. Nylander is a RW where we have depth and he honestly isn’t much better than TK or Farabee if at all. At least Marner would give the team a legit top line forward that they are desperately missing with G gone. Definitely a pipe dream though.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I was thinking the same thing. Even it’s futile to try and compete, this is a move that increases value. Nylander is a beast.
If Provorov goes for a young forward who can make plays and score, then another Flyer forward is probably going the be moved for a defenseman to take his place. Then Sanheim has to be extended as well. That’s too many parts for this FO to successfully pull off.
They have several LD that just bump up. If Ellis is healthy and they draft a RHD they may not think they have to add another RHD of value. This is the best case scenario. Trade Provy for picks or top talent and then just draft and don’t do much else.

Reactions: renberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Picks are overrated unless they're in the top 10, and even then there's serious risk.
I'll take a top 6/top 4 cost controlled player under 25 over picks almost any time, unless Ottawa wants to trade a 1st without conditions.

Once you get past the top 20 picks, risk of a flop or bottom six type increases substantially, again in the 2nd rd.
By the 3rd rd, most players are better bets.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
I'd trade Provorov for Thomas every day, every night.

I know you'd refuse this.
Yeah Thomas is a no go for us, but thanks for the response! We would probably want to do a futures deal around a first plus neighbors or bolduc and maybe something else.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If a rental D-man like Savard or Chariot will get you a 1st plus, Provorov, a cost controlled 26 year old D-man who can play 25 minutes a night should garner a lot more than a 1st in the 20s and a 2nd tier prospect. You got to pay to play..

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018

I would like Robert Thomas in a 1-for-1 for Provorov.

***I know this isn’t realistic. But a boy can dream.***

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Just take him. We dont care.

Provorov’s apparently that co-worker who has no issue calling someone out when they make a mistake but has a response like this when he makes a mistake, “What are you talking about? That’s bullshit.”

***Per Charlie O-Connor on a recent BSH Radio***

He also likes to blame others in the media when he gets asked about specific mistakes he made.
- I’d be surprised if his teammates really, really don’t like him.

Defenseman who need a very specific partner type to play well themselves are not valuable commodities.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
This Provorov thing isn't pretty. If the reports in the media about his touchy attitude are true, he needs to go. If they are false, someone needs to shut the **** up. His play certainly has become an enigma. To go from so promising of a young player to basically a guy whose performance merits the third pair is unimaginable. Something is off here. Perhaps it's been an injury or maybe he doesn't fit with Kevin and his pets but it's not a good situation.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The guy is extremely hard on himself and has been for years. He cried on the bench after messing up a play against the Penguins when he could barely lift his arm that lead to them getting eliminated. He cares too much.

People who have that type of point of view about themselves pay attention much more to what people say about them. It is very hard to ignore.

Does that absolve him of his shitty play? No but the guy has been playing on a rudderless shitty hockey team for years now where his play has suffered as a result. It’s not a good recipe for his mental makeup from what we can tell. I don’t fault him for it as I’d be absolutely miserably myself playing in this situation.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Provorov has looked solid with a number of partners, the ones he struggled with were Braun this season (Braun isn't close to top 4 quality at this point in his career) and Sanheim. But he looked better with York and Attard. So I don't think he needs a very specific partner to play well, just that he's not a universal fit.

But the same can be said for Sanheim.

Given Sanheim, York, Zamula and Andrae in a couple years, Provorov is potential trade bait, but there should be no urgency to move him. He's a high value commodity with a cost controlled contract at 26 years old, and the kind of player teams gamble they can bring out more from him in a better situation. The cost should be a 1st tier prospect/young player plus.

This Provorov thing isn't pretty. If the reports in the media about his touchy attitude are true, he needs to go. If they are false, someone needs to shut the **** up. His play certainly has become an enigma. To go from so promising of a young player to basically a guy whose performance merits the third pair is unimaginable. Something is off here. Perhaps it's been an injury or maybe he doesn't fit with Kevin and his pets but it's not a good situation.
What third pair performance? Just because a player doesn't live up to expectations doesn't mean he's awful.
And no fault of Braun, but he wasn't exactly the ideal partner this past season.
Provorov finished the season far stronger than Sanheim, even though he was paired with two rookies.

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
At this point, we would be lucky if he can salvage any NHL career

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Provy looked good when Hakstol was here. Hak used a system that didn't overly expose his defensemen. Since then Provorov's play has been in a decline. Gordon played pond hockey which always makes defensemen look bad. Then came AV and his "system" again didn't help defensemen with the forwards not back checking and constantly cherry picking for the quick outlet pass. Yeo calmed some of that stuff and Provorov's play the last thirty games began to look good again.
The first order of business this off season is an extension for Sanheim. If that gets done, then moving Provorov becomes a possibility. If he does get traded, it has to be for top shelf return. Again, I don't trust the current GM to pull this off.

Provorov has looked solid with a number of partners, the ones he struggled with were Braun this season (Braun isn't close to top 4 quality at this point in his career) and Sanheim. But he looked better with York and Attard. So I don't think he needs a very specific partner to play well, just that he's not a universal fit.

But the same can be said for Sanheim.

Given Sanheim, York, Zamula and Andrae in a couple years, Provorov is potential trade bait, but there should be no urgency to move him. He's a high value commodity with a cost controlled contract at 26 years old, and the kind of player teams gamble they can bring out more from him in a better situation. The cost should be a 1st tier prospect/young player plus.

What third pair performance? Just because a player doesn't live up to expectations doesn't mean he's awful.
And no fault of Braun, but he wasn't exactly the ideal partner this past season.
Provorov finished the season far stronger than Sanheim, even though he was paired with two rookies.
The last thirty or so games, Provorov played decent hockey most nights. What about the other fifty or so games? He performed at the level of a third pair player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad