Prospect Info: 2022-23 Oilers Prospects Thread

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Careful with those expectations. No way in hell Beryozkin is getting that kind of opportunity coming straight out of Russia.

Columbus had some issues early on with their guys threatening to go home before three of them started clicking. Edmonton has a very poor track record of onboarding prospects who are even willing to pay in the AHL. If there's any expectation of an immediate NHL role, which has been commonwith Russian prospects in the past, I have doubts about this player.
I just was a bit sarcastic. What I meant is that practice shows that it doesn't work like that with all those models and NHLe stuff and doesn't work in both good and bad way: high-scoring KHL guys can fail in the NHL, low-scoring guys can succeed, so in the end of the day that kind of approach doesn't make sense at all.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I just was a bit sarcastic. What I meant is that practice shows that it doesn't work like that with all those models and NHLe stuff and doesn't work in both good and bad way: high-scoring KHL guys can fail in the NHL, low-scoring guys can succeed, so in the end of the day that kind of approach doesn't make sense at all.
Your takes on our KHL prospects are very much appreciated. We have not had a lot of luck specifically with Russian players for quite a few years so I suspect that many of us are going to be very cautious with our expectations.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Plays on the first line, currently is the top playoff scorer of the Lokomotiv team with 4G+6A in 12 games (currently he is 9th in the league's playoff scoring list).
Thanks! How are the rest of the Oilers Russian prospects coming along?

Reactions: Caser

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Thanks! How are the rest of the Oilers Russian prospects coming along?
Not like there are much of them there, I guess only Yevseyev, he had sort of a conflict with the coach and got sent down to the VHL. Coach is fired now, so there are hopes that there will be something better next season.

Oh, there's also Denezhkin, but he struggled with injuries this season, so I can't even call him a KHL regular at this point.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not like there are much of them there, I guess only Yevseyev, he had sort of a conflict with the coach and got sent down to the VHL. Coach is fired now, so there are hopes that there will be something better next season.

Oh, there's also Denezhkin, but he struggled with injuries this season, so I can't even call him a KHL regular at this point.
Denezhkin at this point seems unlikely to amount to an NHL player it sounds like. Yevseyev is a guy that a number of people were high on here. How has he done in the VHL?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Is there a reasonable North American comparison for the VHL?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Denezhkin at this point seems unlikely to amount to an NHL player it sounds like. Yevseyev is a guy that a number of people were high on here. How has he done in the VHL?
To be fair, Denezhkin never seemed like he got the upside, just a hard-working kid, although on rare occasions those type of players end up being good too. Yevseyev looks legit in the VHL, plays top minutes there, drops the gloves from time to time, still in the playoffs there btw (3rd round too), while his KHL team is on vacation already for some time.
Is there a reasonable North American comparison for the VHL?
Purely by the talent level it would be ECHL, but the VHL is a much less scoring league - only couple of players reach the point-per-game level.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Looks like Matt Copponi could be with a different NCAA team next year. He entered the transfer portal the other day.

He's from just outside Boston. Would be cool if he joined Lachance at BU for a year.

Haven't seen any rumours of where he's leaning to go.

Reactions: McMozesmadness

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Looks like Matt Copponi could be with a different NCAA team next year. He entered the transfer portal the other day.

He's from just outside Boston. Would be cool if he joined Lachance at BU for a year.

Haven't seen any rumours of where he's leaning to go.
Makes sense. Many are leaving Merrimack this year. Thought that would encourage him to sign with the Oil. With the Oilers success of getting college players to sign on the dotted line I was hoping he would sign now.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Shouldn’t this thread be for our 23-24 Prospects or are ours so bad we are just ignoring them now?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Makes sense. Many are leaving Merrimack this year. Thought that would encourage him to sign with the Oil. With the Oilers success of getting college players to sign on the dotted line I was hoping he would sign now.
There's still a chance he goes pro. I saw a breakdown in an article that said 5% of the players that entered the transfer portal last year went pro, but that's compared to 74% of them transferring to a different program.

It sucks to say, but the obvious route for him is to transfer to a top program, hopefully knock it out of the park and then go UFA to choose wherever he wants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad