Prospect Info: 2022-23 Oilers Prospects Thread

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
What's your sense of how he compares with some other young Russian prospects that are currently playing in the NHL? I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts on this.
And here is where it becomes sort of complicated, because to be honest I don't see a good comparable and I actually think his style might be the biggest burden for him to properly make it to the NHL, as he is a big yet not too physical winger, slightly clumsy with his greatest assets being playmaking, hands and shot... I can't really think of a proper comparable even from the non-Russian NHL players.

Giggleplex

May 18, 2015
And here is where it becomes sort of complicated, because to be honest I don't see a good comparable and I actually think his style might be the biggest burden for him to properly make it to the NHL, as he is a big yet not too physical winger, slightly clumsy with his greatest assets being playmaking, hands and shot... I can't really think of a proper comparable even from the non-Russian NHL players.
Patrik Laine, kind of?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Thanks! This is much appreciated. I was just curious about reasonable expectations for him.

Reactions: Caser

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Not exactly I'd say, as stylistically Laine I think always has been known as a natural goalscorer and shot generator, Beryozkin is a playmaking-first guy, who can finish, but more frequently will be looking to make a pass.
Poor mans Joe Thornton? Style wise..

Big, not overly physical, passer…huge homeless man beard. Classic.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not exactly I'd say, as stylistically Laine I think always has been known as a natural goalscorer and shot generator, Beryozkin is a playmaking-first guy, who can finish, but more frequently will be looking to make a pass.
Teddy Purcell?

• Haha
Reactions: McWeber

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Shane Lachance makes a big boy play and collects the second assist on this PPG. He had his own PPG called back on an offside earlier in the frame.

Boston University plays Boston College tomorrow for the Hockey East championship.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
2A for Maxim Beryozkin today

Game still active. Heading into the 3rd. Lokomotiv down 3-2 in the game. Up 3-2 in the series

Beryozkin is now top 10 in KHL playoff scoring. He has all the tools, the production is coming

Byron Bader's model likes him

I think there are four names that could be considered our top prospect. Beryozkin is one of those four

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I've always liked his combination of size and skill. That said, until he comes over and we see how he does with the North American game I am guarded in my optimism much like junior players turning pro.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
2A for Maxim Beryozkin today

Game still active. Heading into the 3rd. Lokomotiv down 3-2 in the game. Up 3-2 in the series

Beryozkin is now top 10 in KHL playoff scoring. He has all the tools, the production is coming

Byron Bader's model likes him

I think there are four names that could be considered our top prospect. Beryozkin is one of those four

I don't know what to think about Beryozkin just because the KHL is so watered down right now.

That's why Bader's model is so high on him. It's based on NHLe and the KHL's NHLe is completely out of whack the past couple of years because the talent level of the league dropped off a cliff with most non-Russians leaving the league.

The model says Beryozkin's 21 year old season where he was 7th on his team with 26 points in 52 games was significantly better than Owen Tippett's 21 year old season where he led his AHL team in points with 40 points in 46 games. That's how out of whack Bader's model is in regards to the KHL right now.

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I don't know what to think about Beryozkin just because the KHL is so watered down right now.

That's why Bader's model is so high on him. It's based on NHLe and the KHL's NHLe is completely out of whack the past couple of years because the talent level of the league dropped off a cliff with most non-Russians leaving the league.

The model says Beryozkin's 21 year old season where he was 7th on his team with 26 points in 52 games was significantly better than Owen Tippett's 21 year old season where he led his AHL team in points with 40 points in 46 games. That's how out of whack Bader's model is in regards to the KHL right now.
Yeah, look at Voronkov playing for the CBJ: in the KHL he had scored pretty solid 18 goals, but after moving to the NHL his numbers dropped to just 17 goals.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yeah, look at Voronkov playing for the CBJ: in the KHL he had scored pretty solid 18 goals, but after moving to the NHL his numbers dropped to just 17 goals.
Careful with those expectations. No way in hell Beryozkin is getting that kind of opportunity coming straight out of Russia.

Columbus had some issues early on with their guys threatening to go home before three of them started clicking. Edmonton has a very poor track record of onboarding prospects who are even willing to pay the toll in the AHL. If there's any expectation of an immediate NHL role, which has been common with Russian prospects in the past, I have doubts about this player.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad