Speculation: 2022-2023 Winnipeg Jets Opening Day Lineup Wants/Speculation/Predictions

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The numbers are going to be difficult, as I outlined. A trade might free up enough for a middle six guy, but I'm not sure you'll see any splashy trades from Chevy. Maybe someone who gets moved for a later pick as a cap dump, like Stastny was, and Schmidt. The more you hear about this team being a tight group, I don't think there's a rush to break it up.

I apologize, I just like to temper the enthusiasm of a big offseason. I still remember one offseason where every other projection had the Jets breaking the bank for Pietrangelo, who didn't even sniff Winnipeg. Being farther away from the end game of going all the way probably doubles down on draft and develop in my opinion.

True enough, just having a bit of fun with my projections. Like @Mathil8 I think we move out one of our more expensive mid pairing dmen (Dillion, Schmidt, Pionk) and go with Samberg.

If the org does entertain moving Scheifele then that is when things could get really interesting and may have a domino effect in terms of subsequent moves.

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
When building lineups for future years I always start by looking at waivers and seeing who is newly eligible:

- Berdin
- Gawanke
- Gustafsson
- Kovacevic
- Vesalainen

Vesalainen went to Europe so we don't need to worry about losing him to waivers (savvy move by us)

Berdin has an NHL salary next year so maybe was a consideration if Comrie moves on but hasn't really shown it at the AHL level and his rights got traded in the KHL so I do wonder if there's a mutual termination of the contract coming?

Gawanke is a RHD that has yet to play an NHL game but has put up over 0.5PPG in the AHL. I wonder if we try to slide him through waivers but maybe should be open to trade talk to maybe use him as a sweetener?

Kov and Gus are going to be on the Jets this season.

Barron, Samberg, Heinola and Chisholm all can bypass waivers but I do think 2, maybe 3 of them deserve NHL spots.

From there a lot depends on what happens with 55 and PLD and if they're dealt what the return might look like.

Additional trades
- Potential guys I'd move out include Svech (doghouse but I like him as a top 6 option with PLD), Stanley/Dillon (LHD surpluss with rookies pushing for spots), Schmidt/Pionk/DeMelo (Kovacevic deserving a bottom 6 spot and RD eating up a lot of capspace for what they provide), Harkins/Toninato (cheap depth options)

My lineup without major trades:

KFC PLD Svech
Ehlers 55 Perfetti
Barron Lowry Wheels
Harkins Gus Apples
Toninato

JMo DeMelo
Samberg Pionk
Dillon Kovacevic
Stanley
(Heinola in the minors and Schmidt traded)

Helle
Comrie
Not bad but I swap 55 for Perfetti. Schiefele can simply fire a puck and has little interest in his own end so let him score goals . Also I like Heinola over Stanley depending on who coaches this team.

Vinther

Feb 28, 2016
Still so many questions that will depend on each other.
I would think that a 55 trade would depend on who we get as a coach. And so many options really will follow that decision. So at the moment I mainly have two things as priorities
1. Clear up the LH defense. To gain more cap or avoid the waste of prospects
2. No more expensive wingers. Both Connor and Ehlers on the same line seemed like a waste with only 1 puck, so let them be the main wingers and then use Wheels and complementary pieces as the rest. Getting RD Defense and centers (if 55 is traded even more) is more important

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If there's a move I'd like to see the Jets make this offseason, it would be to flip the 2nd we've earned in the Copp trade for Filip Chityl on the Rangers. I think the Rangers are going to have some tough decisions to make on their team in the offseason and Chityl's a guy they might deem expendable.

So far this playoff he's struck me as one of the best skaters, and with good ice here in Winnipeg, I hope that's an angle we improve on this offseason. I think he'd be a good fit on Lowry's line. For some secondary scoring.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
If there's a move I'd like to see the Jets make this offseason, it would be to flip the 2nd we've earned in the Copp trade for Filip Chityl on the Rangers. I think the Rangers are going to have some tough decisions to make on their team in the offseason and Chityl's a guy they might deem expendable.

So far this playoff he's struck me as one of the best skaters, and with good ice here in Winnipeg, I hope that's an angle we improve on this offseason. I think he'd be a good fit on Lowry's line. For some secondary scoring.
If that was the price it would be a no brainer IMO. He's had his struggles to this point IMO, but has been very good this playoffs.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
KFC-PLD-Svech
Ehlers-Scheif-Perfetti
Stastny-Wheeler-Appleton
Barron-Lowry-Deslauries

Morrisey-Demelo
Samberg-Pionk
Dillion-Schmidt
Stanley

Wheeler has shown in the passed be can play C and now that he's aging he's not capable of driving play like he used to especially not at first line caliber but in third line role maybe he can be effective while also pushing Lowry to his acceptable 4th line role. D-Lo brings lockeroom help as he's apparently really well liked and also physical element to the fourth line while not being a liability

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
KFC-PLD-Svech
Ehlers-Scheif-Perfetti
Stastny-Wheeler-Appleton
Barron-Lowry-Deslauries

Morrisey-Demelo
Samberg-Pionk
Dillion-Schmidt
Stanley

Wheeler has shown in the passed be can play C and now that he's aging he's not capable of driving play like he used to especially not at first line caliber but in third line role maybe he can be effective while also pushing Lowry to his acceptable 4th line role. D-Lo brings lockeroom help as he's apparently really well liked and also physical element to the fourth line while not being a liability
No tiny Heiny? otherwise known as Niku 2.0

• Haha
Reactions: macmaroon

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Man, if you think he's another Niku, you don't know shit from Heinola. :laugh:
Heinola hasn't proven anything aside from the fact that he couldn't crack a D lineup that featured a Pooman and a potato and even boo bad!

what I’ve seen of the defensive part of a D mans game from tiny Heiny hasn’t exactly been impressive!

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
KFC-PLD-Svech
Ehlers-Scheif-Perfetti
Stastny-Wheeler-Appleton
Barron-Lowry-Deslauries

Morrisey-Demelo
Samberg-Pionk
Dillion-Schmidt
Stanley

i was wondering about wheeler at C again.... in 19-20 he filled in admirably w/ Little's injury, & actually rated well defensively. he did play a lot with ehlers that season, however, just on my eye-test i don't think there was a glaring weakness/liability with wheeler as the 2c.

for your lineup though - if you have wheeler at C and Stastny at wing..... id just swap em at that point. i think stastny strengths are better suited at C (puck-distributor/plays well in the middle of the ice/FO/good 200 ft play) than on the wall and wheeler as a 3RW away from scheifele should still be a solid 3rd scoring line option. so a 3rd line of x-stastny-wheeler, with x being more of a shoot-first player would be a v strong 3rd line. probably a solid 2nd line on 2/3s of NHL teams.

what about evan rodrigues as a 3rd line winger? will be 29, 43 pts in 82 gp in 16 mins ATOI. ranked 18th in the league in 5v5 shot rates (SOG/60 mins). coming off a 1m contract not sure if he's exactly the type of guy to break the bank. has had a past history of decent 5v5 scoring rates :dunno:. then can run a 4th of Barron-Lowry-Appleton

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad