NHL 2022-2023 Standings Watch - Updated 4/11

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
1680450430254.png

101 year old franchise and you've just set the mark for most wins and most points.

Scroll down, ignoring the fart sounds being made by the 2014 entry, and see the '72 world killers and smile.

Scroll down.

Scroll.

Scroll.

Out of the top 20 Bruins regular seasons, the next Cup winner is the 2011 guys, the 18th best regular season in their 101 year history.

This is the Bruins experience in a nutshell.

I think we should sacrifice an animal on or around the 17th.

Reactions: sooshii

LavioletteScores

Nov 20, 2011
View attachment 680413

101 year old franchise and you've just set the mark for most wins and most points.

Scroll down, ignoring the fart sounds being made by the 2014 entry, and see the '72 world killers and smile.

Scroll down.

Scroll.

Scroll.

Out of the top 20 Bruins regular seasons, the next Cup winner is the 2011 guys, the 18th best regular season in their 101 year history.

This is the Bruins experience in a nutshell.

I think we should sacrifice an animal on or around the 17th.

I'll sacrifice my pet rock to the sea.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Looking more and more like the B's will either play Florida or the Fishsticks in Round 1 with the Pens also in the mix.

Given a choice I would prefer the Islanders simply because of travel.

1680683378358.png

The West? :popcorn:

Calgary losing at home to Chicago in regulation is a disaster for the Flames not only for this season but trying to get a new arena built. The Saddledome is in rough shape and the city is lukewarm on how much they want to pay. @Aussie Bruin you saw firsthand the difference between what Edmonton built and what Calgary has currently.

Could the Flames owners decide to relocate?

The biggest issue with the Saddledome is it has very few seats in the lower bowl.

1680684159421.png

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Looking more and more like the B's will either play Florida or the Fishsticks in Round 1 with the Pens also in the mix.

Given a choice I would prefer the Islanders simply because of travel.

View attachment 682013

The West? :popcorn:

Calgary losing at home to Chicago in regulation is a disaster for the Flames not only for this season but trying to get a new arena built. The Saddledome is in rough shape and the city is lukewarm on how much they want to pay. @Aussie Bruin you saw firsthand the difference between what Edmonton built and what Calgary has currently.

Could the Flames owners decide to relocate?

The biggest issue with the Saddledome is it has very few seats in the lower bowl.

View attachment 682014

I hope they can sort something out in Calgary. As I said when we were there, there were actually things I liked about the Saddledome, but absolutely it's in need of some serious work. Huge amount of passion for hockey there, so it seems inconceivable to me that they could lose their team. That would be a disaster, even more so when there are numerous other cities boasting NHL teams that are not remotely as invested in the sport as the people of Alberta. So they need to find a solution.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Oh, please, please, please let the Penguins miss the playoffs!
Indeed! I want nothing nice for that organization. Don't care that they might an easy opponent for the Bs. They have a history of injuring Bruins and the media and refs will make me want to pull my hair out while they ballwash Crosby incessantly.

I actually don't mind the Islanders, so playing them would be fine and the Bs would not have any problem beating them in round 1.

I completely overrated FLA last season. Their coach crapped the bed in the playoffs with horrid decisions. They have less talent this season and although they have a new coach he's a dumbass too. Bs win that series without much problem.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I hope they can sort something out in Calgary. As I said when we were there, there were actually things I liked about the Saddledome, but absolutely it's in need of some serious work. Huge amount of passion for hockey there, so it seems inconceivable to me that they could lose their team. That would be a disaster, even more so when there are numerous other cities boasting NHL teams that are not remotely as invested in the sport as the people of Alberta. So they need to find a solution.

I wonder if there is there anything in the CBA that would prevent the league and/or players association from providing some sort of low interest loan in order to renovate/improve an arena?

I understand the slippery slope concern, but aside from Calgary, how many other teams have arenas in need of upgrading?
Arizona, obviously.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Saturday's matchups of the 3 potential opponents

Islanders vs. Philly
Pittsburgh vs. Detroit
Florida vs. Washington

Ty Anderson just said on 98.5 that Game 1 is Marathon Monday

Reactions: sooshii

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Well let's see.

Pittsburgh has Detroit, Chicago, Columbus.

Florida has Washington, Toronto, Carolina

*me thinking what's the stupid 3rd team*
Oh ya.

Islanders have Philly, Washington, Montreal.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Any real preference in round 1 for you guys?

I feel like boston matches up well vs anyone. On paper Penguins seem like the weakest of the 3 possible choices.

Islanders are my hometown team/ 3rd favorite team behind boston and anaheim, so id prefer that series to be later on in the playoffs rather than round 1. I also think they play the underdog in playoff role pretty good.... that being said UBS isnt Nassau Coliseum which i thought was 1 of the hardest stadiums to go into and win.

I think Florida has been coming on hot lately, and prob the best built for the playoffs of the 3.

Reactions: Tbaybruin

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013

I feel like boston matches up well vs anyone. On paper Penguins seem like the weakest of the 3 possible choices.

Islanders are my hometown team/ 3rd favorite team behind boston and anaheim, so id prefer that series to be later on in the playoffs rather than round 1. I also think they play the underdog in playoff role pretty good.... that being said UBS isnt Nassau Coliseum which i thought was 1 of the hardest stadiums to go into and win.

I think Florida has been coming on hot lately, and prob the best built for the playoffs of the 3.
Florida's roster has some great players, some of whom can give the Bruins fits. Not ideal, but their goalies are excrement.

The Islanders are decidedly mediocre, but they hold on and can finish games strong. Easily the best goalie of the three. If they didn't have a propensity for injuring Bruins in the playoffs, I'd almost prefer them, as a team should really get the hot goalie out of the way early.

Lot of history the the Bs and the Pens. Mostly short, bad series, if my memory isn't failing me. Their goalies usually cannot stay healthy. Sid's whining is obnoxious. Letang is hit or miss when he plays the Bruins. I'd probably prefer these guys, but I'm not sure it'd jump start the Bruins for a long run in the end.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

I think Pitt is probably the best matchup for them. Sure there's still the Crosby factor, but that team has a lot of flaws and would be hard pressed to win 4 times against really any team in the playoffs, but especially Bruins, who just match up well with them.

Islanders scare me because while they don't do anything great, they are good in every aspect of the game, and Sorokin is legit. We've seen time and time again that a goalie can win a tight series.

FLorida certainly has the offense, but defensively they are a mess, and really is Bobrovsky going to win multiple games he shouldn't? I don't see it.

Probably Pitt, FLA, NYI for me.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Well let's see.

Pittsburgh has Detroit, Chicago, Columbus.

Florida has Washington, Toronto, Carolina

*me thinking what's the stupid 3rd team*
Oh ya.

Islanders have Philly, Washington, Montreal.
All 3 play physical teams (Columbus and Washington) and there is no way they can rest their top guys. Bears watching and obviously you hope no one gets injured

Reactions: caz16

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Out of the three, I would love for Pittsburgh to miss the playoffs. I don't wish for certain match ups, much too superstitious but for them to miss for the first time in 17 years would be satisfying. Who knows though, Florida is on a 5 game winning streak but has to play two playoff teams in the last three games. The Carolina game may matter to them to stay ahead of New Jersey and avoid the Rags.

Reactions: missingchicklet

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

I foresee much Pepto in my future no matter who we play, so no, no preference lol

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
Ranking Bruins’ potential first-round opponents from easiest to hardest

Easiest: Pittsburgh Penguins

The Penguins aren’t just the easiest opponent of the three, but this was also the easiest spot to rank. The Panthers and Islanders both offer at least some reason for concern for the Bruins. It’s hard to find one with the Pens.

Yes, Sidney Crosby (88 points) and Evgeni Malkin (81) are still playing at a high level into the twilight of their careers. It’s an indictment of general manager Ron Hextall that he’s put a team around them that not only isn’t a Cup contender, but may not even be a playoff team.

Medium: Florida Panthers

It’s close between the Panthers and Islanders. The debate is basically which worries you more: The high-end talent and offensive firepower of the Panthers, or the elite goaltending of Ilya Sorokin for the Islanders.

After a slow start to the season, the Panthers since the All-Star break have looked a little more like the team that won the Presidents’ Trophy last season. Over the last two months, they rank second in the NHL in scoring (3.78 goals per game) and first in 5-on-5 scoring (3.34 goals per game).

Hardest: New York Islanders

The Islanders edge out the Panthers for toughest matchup for one reason and one reason only: Ilya Sorokin.

Sorokin is the only goalie who conceivably has a case to steal some Vezina votes from Linus Ullmark. While making 11 more starts and facing 300 more shots than Ullmark, Sorokin ranks third in save percentage (.924) and fifth in goals-against average (2.38).

The Islanders are admittedly not very scary outside of Sorokin. They do have a big, mobile defense led by the likes of Adam Pelech, Ryan Pulock, Scott Mayfield and Noah Dobson that can present some problems, and has in postseasons past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad