Prospect Info: 2022-2023 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 06.04.2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Will Cuylle and Adam Edstrom have a shot at a bottom six role, I'd think. Gustav Rydahl, I think they signed him hoping/expecting he could grab a spot at some point. Lauri Pajuniemi has an outside shot, depending on what the roster looks like.

Defensively, in terms of debuts, Matthew Robertson is the only one who has a chance who hasn't already played (like Jones or Lundkvist).

Dylan Garand, I suppose it's possible, but it would probably take like at least 2-3 other guys getting injured simultaneously for that to happen.

Othmann is the big wild card in all of this. He can't play in Hartford, but he's also too good for the OHL. If the Rangers think he's even close to ready they'll likely keep him around, even if they do send him back eventually.
In today's NHL, when thinking about the likelihood of a prospect making it, in this case Cuylle, I hate reading that their issue is skating.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Out of the prospects, the kid I'm most excited for is Brett Berard. If Tyler Motte's inclusion in the big club's lineup taught us anything, it's that this team needs more high motor players to balance the lineup.

The team has plenty of good skaters and decent size, but the organization has a need for more of these high motor guys. They're so important because they can play up and down the lineup. The smarter they are, the more impactful they become over time.

I think Berard is one of the only prospects i see in the system that has that high octane, never stop, motor. Paju seems to understand this style, but he's lacking a step at this size right now. I hope he gets there.

Back to Berard, he's in that Fast/Hagelin/Callahan mold. I'm hopeful he'll be closer to Marchand than Motte. But same thing -- high motor. As long as he's built up enough strength, I can see him working his way into the NHL quickly because I think he'll end up fitting in a lot of different spots. He should become our swiss army knife. And I think he may have the easiest adjustment to the pros due to his style of play.

As for all of our other prospects, many of which I quite like, I really hope they continue to work on their skating. Guys like Cuylle and Othmann and many of the lesser talented forwards behind them are all in same boat of needing to re-invent their games for middle-bottom 6 roles while also working on their skating/first step.

Cuylle is a great example. He was very much a Baby-Barron when he was with the AHL squad. And frankly, that puts him on the cusp of the league. He needs to find that next gear - some combo of skating and IQ. He's not slow by any stretch. He's likely above average at the Junior level and he was average at the AHL level. But he's going to have to transition to more of a high-motor style to play bottom 6 in the NHL.

Not every bottom 6 player needs to be Tyler Motte -- see Goodrow and Brian Boyle. But those guys need to be paired with speedier guys. Taking away time/ice is such a huge component to a successful bottom 6 line. Simply put, speed creates possession. When our 4th line was Goodrow, Hunt and Reaves or similar -- it's just not good enough. That line ends up chasing the play. The better 4th lines possess/forecheck/cause turnovers. More Mottes please!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Out of the prospects, the kid I'm most excited for is Brett Berard. If Tyler Motte's inclusion in the big club's lineup taught us anything, it's that this team needs more high motor players to balance the lineup.

The team has plenty of good skaters and decent size, but the organization has a need for more of these high motor guys. They're so important because they can play up and down the lineup. The smarter they are, the more impactful they become over time.

I think Berard is one of the only prospects i see in the system that has that high octane, never stop, motor. Paju seems to understand this style, but he's lacking a step at this size right now. I hope he gets there.

Back to Berard, he's in that Fast/Hagelin/Callahan mold. I'm hopeful he'll be closer to Marchand than Motte. But same thing -- high motor. As long as he's built up enough strength, I can see him working his way into the NHL quickly because I think he'll end up fitting in a lot of different spots. He should become our swiss army knife. And I think he may have the easiest adjustment to the pros due to his style of play.

As for all of our other prospects, many of which I quite like, I really hope they continue to work on their skating. Guys like Cuylle and Othmann and many of the lesser talented forwards behind them are all in same boat of needing to re-invent their games for middle-bottom 6 roles while also working on their skating/first step.

Cuylle is a great example. He was very much a Baby-Barron when he was with the AHL squad. And frankly, that puts him on the cusp of the league. He needs to find that next gear - some combo of skating and IQ. He's not slow by any stretch. He's likely above average at the Junior level and he was average at the AHL level. But he's going to have to transition to more of a high-motor style to play bottom 6 in the NHL.

Not every bottom 6 player needs to be Tyler Motte -- see Goodrow and Brian Boyle. But those guys need to be paired with speedier guys. Taking away time/ice is such a huge component to a successful bottom 6 line. Simply put, speed creates possession. When our 4th line was Goodrow, Hunt and Reaves or similar -- it's just not good enough. That line ends up chasing the play. The better 4th lines possess/forecheck/cause turnovers. More Mottes please!

All three of Othmann, Cuylle and Berard have enough of an all around game where they should be able to break into the league on the bottom 6. As you said Berard does have a motor. Skating is an area that both Will and Brennan can improve on but I don't think their skating issues are enough to keep them out of the league and Cuylle is pretty much a north-south player--someone who doesn't complicate things. They all have really good hands and puck skills and all three have a bit of edge to their game. They're very competitive do what it takes types and it bodes well for all of them. Othmann has the best chance IMO of being a top 6 player. I see Cuylle kind of as a Goodrow comparable with better finishing skills. Berard maybe more chance of being a middle 6 when he figures everything out.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
we see posts all the time, about how guys can go to Europe and make a career of it

Andrew Yogan is now 30, and has been damn productive in lesser tier leagues in Austria and Slovak

1657131408218.png

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
we see posts all the time, about how guys can go to Europe and make a career of it

Andrew Yogan is now 30, and has been damn productive in lesser tier leagues in Austria and Slovak

View attachment 565058

Hmm, how are his faceoffs?

• Haha
Reactions: djzbad

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

View attachment 565058

For sure. I know a few guys who had very long (5+ year) careers both in Germany and Switzerland.

The pay isn't outstanding for something that you can only do until you're in your late 30's (Probably half again more than what the average MBA makes) , but the travel isn't nearly as brutal as in the AHL.

TJ Trevelyan loves it. Zeiler's back started to go when he hit 30 so he called it quits early.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Really hope they get some extra talent for the Pack this year. Take out the 2 cancelled covid seasons, they've made the playoffs 1 time in the last 8 seasons. It's a bad look. As if they're a complete after thought. Obviously trading away all those picks for so long plays a big part. Seems like a while now it's pretty much just been take a bunch of fringe and mid tier prospects and hope something sticks. When Brodz got called up this past year there may have been 1 legitimate top 6 talent down there. That's kind of crazy. Even if you make a good find who are they supposed to play with? Don't get me wrong, bring in a bunch of UDFAs.. try to find as many players as possible, but they've kind of just been taking these guys throwing them together and hanging them out to dry. It'd just be nice to have an extra AHL talent or 2.

We're getting longer and longer away from the days of grabbing a PA, Zucc, Marchessault, Girardi, etc... Pionk was a phenomenal find. Been almost an entire decade going back to the Buch/Duc/Graves draft that we've actually drafted a legitimate NHL forward later in the draft. Barron has a chance. Berard looks good. Edstrom and Pajuniemi are solid picks. That was something they were actually doing with some frequency, Callahan, Hags, Fast, etc.. they gotta start hitting late again. I love what the Hurricanes do, they had 13 picks last year. Who cares if they're late picks, the odds are slim but just gives you more ammo to hit on

426ers

Jun 21, 2020
Can someone explain to me why I see a lot of these types of comments, with reference to prospects " He is a good prospect, but he needs to work on his skating" Are we talking about technical issues with skating? Is it something specific about their skating, such as edge work, acceleration, etc. Shouldn't these issues be worked on from their coaches when they were younger, versus age 17/18/19.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
It's the nature of all players to lean into their strengths and hope it masks their weaknesses. As the level of competition ratchets up, that's often not enough anymore. Addressing and working on a weakness is a lot harder than honing a skill you're already pretty good at.

A classic example is Gauthier. The guy was a 40 goal scorer in juniors, nearly a 30 goal scorer in the AHL, but in the NHL, he can't score to save his life. Sure, he's a big, strong, fast kid, but he doesn't get the time and space to pick corners like he did in lower levels. He's had to simplify his game and become just a guy that uses his straight line speed and size to drive the net for a low percentage shot. If he had better vision, maybe he's able to dish it more effectively. If he's more nimble or has better hands, maybe he can make the move to the center of the ice for a higher quality shot. But those parts of his game never developed, either through lack of working on them, or a natural ceiling he has.

Reactions: Daves a mess

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Can someone explain to me why I see a lot of these types of comments, with reference to prospects " He is a good prospect, but he needs to work on his skating" Are we talking about technical issues with skating? Is it something specific about their skating, such as edge work, acceleration, etc. Shouldn't these issues be worked on from their coaches when they were younger, versus age 17/18/19.

It depends on the prospect. For instance, Othmann in his draft year had some serious skating mechanics issues:
"With Brennan, it starts with his ankles which lack proper flexion, specifically dorsiflexion. Due to his restrictive ankles, it significantly reduces his ability to transfer his power through his push-offs.

He also features a hunched over posture, rigid shoulder rotation within his upper half when he’s attempting to gain speed, short and sloppy crossovers, and an inconsistency within his inability to counterbalance his weight out of turns. Basically, it looks like he’s fighting through every inch of himself when attempting to push off and propel forward." (HP Black Book, 2021 pg 302)

And they probably are being worked on, but sometimes the breakthrough comes later on. Othmann's skating mechanically did improve this year from what I've heard. And look at a guy like Brian Boyle, who was an awful skater until Barb Underhill (i think, lol) got her hands on him

Reactions: NYSPORTS

426ers

Jun 21, 2020
It depends on the prospect. For instance, Othmann in his draft year had some serious skating mechanics issues:
"With Brennan, it starts with his ankles which lack proper flexion, specifically dorsiflexion. Due to his restrictive ankles, it significantly reduces his ability to transfer his power through his push-offs.

He also features a hunched over posture, rigid shoulder rotation within his upper half when he’s attempting to gain speed, short and sloppy crossovers, and an inconsistency within his inability to counterbalance his weight out of turns. Basically, it looks like he’s fighting through every inch of himself when attempting to push off and propel forward." (HP Black Book, 2021 pg 302)

And they probably are being worked on, but sometimes the breakthrough comes later on. Othmann's skating mechanically did improve this year from what I've heard. And look at a guy like Brian Boyle, who was an awful skater until Barb Underhill (i think, lol) got her hands on him
Thank you and that's my point. If he is Rangers property, can't they get someone to work with him privately? Also, maybe some PT on his ankles, could help with his issues and help to improve his skating.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Thank you and that's my point. If he is Rangers property, can't they get someone to work with him privately? Also, maybe some PT on his ankles, could help with his issues and help to improve his skating.

They can try, but it depends how fixable they think the player's issues are. Sometimes it's just not fixable

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

great stuff. Too bad it’s kinda negative/realistic

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
great stuff. Too bad it’s kinda negative/realistic

"If there’s a drawback to Othmann, it’s in terms of his skating. We won’t attempt to sugar coat it; Brennan has the worst skating mechanics out of any of the top end players featured in this class."
"Othmann is one of the rarest player types, with a difficult deficiency to overcome. We don’t think all the mechanics within his skating are correctable, his ankles have the mobility of iron rods, and there’s a level of fluidity which he simply lacks, but we also don’t think it’s going to stop him due to the amount of power he’s already generating at his age, and given how raw he is in his physical development. The stride won’t look great but we think his pace and overall competitiveness will help him compensate much in the same way that we believe it will still allow Bobby Brink to make it."

If you follow the draft at all, the Black Book is 100% worth it

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I'll be posting brief snippets on guys we draft this year from the BB, assuming there's something worth posting lol

Reactions: Ranger Ric

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
"If there’s a drawback to Othmann, it’s in terms of his skating. We won’t attempt to sugar coat it; Brennan has the worst skating mechanics out of any of the top end players featured in this class."
"Othmann is one of the rarest player types, with a difficult deficiency to overcome. We don’t think all the mechanics within his skating are correctable, his ankles have the mobility of iron rods, and there’s a level of fluidity which he simply lacks, but we also don’t think it’s going to stop him due to the amount of power he’s already generating at his age, and given how raw he is in his physical development. The stride won’t look great but we think his pace and overall competitiveness will help him compensate much in the same way that we believe it will still allow Bobby Brink to make it."

If you follow the draft at all, the Black Book is 100% worth it

supposedly Othmann will be at the Rangers draft table and rumor is he will be interviewed. Watch him get traded while at the draft table lol

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
NCAA hockey will be fun to watch next year, for Rangers fans.

Hockey East: Berard and Chmelar (Providence), Hughes (Northeastern), Ollas (Merrimack)
Big Ten: Ciccolini (Michigan), Lamb (Minnesota)
ECAC: Karpa (Harvard), Kempf (Cornell)
NCHC: Laba (Colorado College), Mancini (Omaha)
CCHA: Kjellberg (Northern Michigan)

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
NCAA hockey will be fun to watch next year, for Rangers fans.

Hockey East: Berard and Chmelar (Providence), Hughes (Northeastern), Ollas (Merrimack)
Big Ten: Ciccolini (Michigan), Lamb (Minnesota)
ECAC: Karpa (Harvard), Kempf (Cornell)
NCHC: Laba (Colorado College), Mancini (Omaha)
CCHA: Kjellberg (Northern Michigan)
I think Laba is going to Colgate not colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad