2022-2023 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Do you think Walman is the best defensive dman in the NHL?
Of course not. I also haven't seen any actual advanced stats that suggest he is. The tweet is the opinion that one specific website has reached from looking at their own proprietary algorithm that is not publicly available.

If you dig into the player card they made for Walman, you will see that he was in the 98th percentile for "Defense." This score appears to derive from his performance in the following categories: Defensive Impact (97th percentile), Denials (55th percentile), Recoveries (unscored), Role Difficulty (98th percentile), Penalties Taken (11th percentile), and Penalty Kill (52nd percentile). Each of these categories are defined in their glossary and utilizes advanced stats, but the way they plug the stats into their formula is hidden.

In other words, they take raw stats and plug them into their own (private) formula to determine how the player did in each category. They then put the results from those (private) formulas into another (private) formula to get a single total score. They then put the results onto easily digestible graphics they call player cards and hide everything except what they choose to tweet behind a paywall.

Their rankings are miles away from representing 'advanced stats' as a concept/tool.

I will note that the two areas he scored highly in happen to be the two areas they score that don't include any individual stats. The other 3 include individual stats (as well as on-ice stats) and see him drop way below those high-90th percentile scores.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Just goes to show how worthless advanced stats are. I'm sure they have some value in specific situations but people rely on them way too much.

I was told 100 + 100 = 7. But when I bought 2 $100 items on Amazon, they wanted $200. Just goes to show how worthless basic math is.

I had a hamburger once that was burnt beyond all recognition and they topped it with moldy cheese. It was gross. Just goes to show how bad cheeseburgers are. Who would ever want one of those?

Just because someone has a terrible statistical model that yields terrible statements, it does not mean all stats are bad. That one particular model is bad. Nobody is arguing with that. But saying it has any bearing on all of statistics is a straw-man argument, and a really, really bad one at that.

Last edited by a moderator:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
This does seem random, but with the trend of teams going with former players in the front office, Steen always seemed like someone that would be good in a role like that, so I would be curious if over the next handful of years, he's brought in and groomed for the future of the front office. I seem to recall during his retirement that Army mentioned that he'd be good in the future in a coaching or front office position.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
This does seem random, but with the trend of teams going with former players in the front office, Steen always seemed like someone that would be good in a role like that, so I would be curious if over the next handful of years, he's brought in and groomed for the future of the front office. I seem to recall during his retirement that Army mentioned that he'd be good in the future in a coaching or front office position.

Before we hired the Mike’s, I was quietly curious as to if he would get hired as one of the assistants. Iirc, something got mentioned about him coaching in the future during the Berglund interview on Cam & Strick.

Reactions: mk80 and Drubilly

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I’d love to have Steen in any role. Just seems like the type of guy that “gets it.” He knows and understands everything about the game of hockey, is highly respected and hugely important to an organization’s culture.

I’d rather him be active with the players over him being in a regular front office role like the other retired Blues have taken on. I feel like he was such an influential player in the room that it’d be really good for the young guys.

Plus Petro is gone so he can’t divide the locker room again :sarcasm::sarcasm:

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I’d love to have Steen in any role. Just seems like the type of guy that “gets it.” He knows and understands everything about the game of hockey, is highly respected and hugely important to an organization’s culture.
I think he's getting his coaching experience now with a team in Sweden. I see that as an essential step before he gets a call from DA.

Reactions: eibyyz

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Are coaches considered builders? I'm just trying to figure out if his builder category outweighed his coaching category or if they're one in the same?
"As of 2009, new members can be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame as players, builders or on-ice officials. The builders' category includes coaches, general managers, commentators, team owners and others who have helped build the game." -- this comes from Wikipedia that links to a now dead link on the HHOF site. "Builders" category seems to be a nebulous catchall for non-playing career induction, basically.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015

He’s probably got a nose for this sort of stuff :sarcasm:

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
The funny thing about Binnington's antics last year was there was that interview (I believe with JR?) he did where he was all about being present and not letting his emotions run wild. Then he immediately went back to melting down.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I’d really like to hang on to Snuggs, Bolduc, Dean and Neighbors. I’d much rather move 25 and 29 if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad