GDT: 2021 u18 wjc GDT - Frisco, Texas

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I feel like Czech will take some points away from either USA or RUS, but in order to do that they got to get rid of taking so many penalties.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I feel like Czech will take some points away from either USA or RUS, but in order to do that they got to get rid of taking so many penalties.
We play the US in 21 hours.lol I think this was our best chance at an upset.. because we had a 5-3 lead in third.

JohnWillow

May 27, 2015
But we need a tournament with just the big six nations in the junior championships, these underdog nations are having no chance against the big country national teams, because it's always a blowout, there is no point in that.

*sarcasm and making fun of those people who said that.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Once again great comeback and win in the end.
Koskenvuo in net gives me strong Veini Vehviläinen vibes sometimes and not a positive way.

Hard to see Koskenvuo ever making it in NHL / KHL
but perhaps he can become good liiga goalie after NCAA.

Tuomaala is playing himself 1st round pick and maybe Koivunen as well.
Despite of winning 2 games Finland still does too much mistakes
etc bad plays which will cost goals later into tournament like this.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
This is going to be long, excuse me.
The finns D´s and goaltending is horrible so far in this tournament. Koskenvuo is not stable at all, but the defense doesn't give him much to work with. Vilén is a big disappointment for me. He's not good defensively and he is not an offensive powerhouse by any means. Suomi does have some offensive upside but god damn, he looses the puck too often and is a big risk defensively, a bit nonchalant. Many of the D´s give me the impression of being insecure or nonchalant. If it's only because their individual level or a combination with bad coaching is difficult to say. But in both games the opponents created good chances or goals from basically nothing.
Heimosalmi has been a bit of a surprise offensively for me. I expect a lot more from Vilén and Suomi. Juusola does look a bit shaky as well. Even if Juusola is producing points in this tournament I can't see the same talent I saw in Niemelä and Heinola at same age. In all fairness, that's not surprising because they are special.
Overall, I don't see anyone besides Malinen to be near the same level as Vaakanainen, Jokiharju, Juolevi, Heinola, Niemelä and even late blooming Laaksonen when they were the same age.
I not sure what to think about Salminen, I´m not that convinced of his greatness, not yet. Tuomaala is a pure goalscorer and you can't criticize him too much because he's producing. It will be interesting to see if he can create anything against tougher opponents in 5 vs 5. I´m not so sure about that.
Lambert is on another level but I do expect a lot more form him. Puljujärvi dominated this tournament with Tolvanen and Lambert has the potential and skill to do the same. Even if that Finnish team back then was better than this and had Ahokas and company leading the team.
Kemell needs to get more productive and start creating and produce some points. His talent is obvious, good with the puck, skates well etc but he seems a bit... Toothless? Doesn't feel so dangerous and that is a bit worrying because he has so much skill. Well, his young and hopefully it will come.

Regarding their future potential if I would take a guess? Malinen seems to be the only D with clear NHL-potential right now. Suomi has talent and will probably become a good player in a couple of years, but he seems a bit weak and an easy target for bigger forwards. Therefor his offensive should be exceptional for him to make it (and it isn't), otherwise he better get a lot stronger.
Koivunen has good attitude, works hard combined with decent skill and IQ. I like him.
Salminen, not that convinced he's that special.
In all honesty? I´m overall quite disappointed with this years players. Väisänen is not strong enough yet to use his size. Bad balance, but I guess that will become because he's so lanky. Yliniemi, well don't wanna be too harsh against young players but the does not stand out what so ever. We can include Päivärinta, Järvelä, Ruusunen and named Väisänen to this list. Forgot Miettinen, he is a disappointment for me.
I thought a bit higher of this team before the tournament and I guess I was wrong. I thought Kapanen could be a good role player but afterwards I get the feeling he's one of the 5 best players in this 2003 group.

Even if I hope they'll play better I just don't see this group winning any medals. Perhaps bronze but the goaltending, the defensive system etc looks horrendous at times. US and Russia should be better and Canada will destroy Koskenvuo if we play against each other.

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
I'm rooting for both Belarus and Latvia (I was born in Minsk in 1971, and then moved to Riga in 1987, where I lived until 1990). So should I root for Latvia's regulation-time win against Belarus tonight? Provided Belarus, Latvia and Switzerland lose their remaining games to Sweden and Canada, they will all finish with 3 points, and then it's head-to-head... all three will have 3 points, but Switzerland's goal difference would be -4, while any win by Latvia will make theirs -1 or better, while Belarus is currently +6, and I kinda doubt Latvia would beat them by 10 goals or more. :)

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I know. But so far, Canada and Sweden do seem to be head and shoulders above other teams in this group.

sweden lost 12-1 to canada and the game was even beetween sweden and belarus. this swedish age groups is not better than latvia and switzerland.

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
sweden lost 12-1 to canada and the game was even beetween sweden and belarus. this swedish age groups is not better than latvia and switzerland.

Sweden beat Belarus quite comfortably. Hate to say it, but it's true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad