WJC: 2021 Team Slovakia roster talk

Jabs102501

May 16, 2018
Looks like we're playing Canada today. Would be happy if we just held them to single digits.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Why would they sit them? I know Mesar is young but he played a decent amount in Slovakia's first game and Myklukha was supposed to be a top 6 player I thought
Probably resting for more important and less physical game vs Germany.

Reactions: wings5

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Why would they sit them? I know Mesar is young but he played a decent amount in Slovakia's first game and Myklukha was supposed to be a top 6 player I thought
Oleksij was shaken on a Swiss hit yesterday despite returning. Mesar sitting resting before the Germany game, I think I understand, Slovakia would have been pushing it I feel with three 16 year-olds and a 17 year-old against high powered Canada.

Reactions: wings5

DrPabloRamirez

Nov 23, 2010
Slovaks advanced to the playoffs for eight years in a row.

WJC has this format since 2014 (4 of 5 group teams promote to playoffs). 6 teams including Slovakia advanced each year:
2014 Slovakia - Sweden 0:6
2015 Slovakia - Czech rep. 3:0
2016 Slovakia - Sweden 0:6
2017 Slovakia - Sweden 3:8
2018 Slovakia - Sweden 2:3
2019 Slovakia - Russia 3:8
2020 Slovakia - Canada 1:6

Five other teams are: Russia (6W - 1L), Sweden (6W - 1L), Canada (5W - 2L), USA (4W - 3L) and Czech rep. (1W - 6L).

Finland has 6 appearances (4W - 2L), Switzerland 4 (1W - 3L), Denmark 3 (0W - 3L).

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Slovaks advanced to the playoffs for eight years in a row.

In 1999, Slovakia won their group and had a bye to the SF where they lost to Russia 3-2 and beat Sweden 5-4 in the bronze medal game. In 2009 they defeated USA 5-3 in the QF before losing to Sweden 5-3 in the SF and 5-2 to Russia in the bronze medal game. In 2015 they defeated the Czech Republic 3-0 in the QF before losing to Canada 5-1 in the SF. Slovakia defeated Sweden 4-2 in the bronze medal game. I was in attendance. Slovakia has 0W - 3L in SF, and 2W-1L in bronze medal games at the WJCU20.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Faterson

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Simon Nemec was a clear stand out in team Slovakia. With 4points also a leader in point production. Next year it's going to be his show.

Samuel Knazko. Depite having a banged up knee I expected more from him.

Oliver Turan. Was waiting when he would show up. He did when it mattered most. Not in a good way. Took a stupid penalty on PK in the QF to put his team 2 men down that resulted in a 3 goal lead for US. Good news is we don't have to see him ever again.

Juraj Elias. Impresed me with his defensive play. Has a strong engine and with his size could be a player for NT in the future.

Martin Chromiak. Had a laser against Canada. Similar to Knazko, expected more from him.

Juraj Slafkovsky. Scored no points. Started strong, later on the main challenge for him was the high tempo and endurance.

Coach Petrovicky. Definitely a better coach than Bokros however I expected more. Good motivator however lacks in game adjustments and how to mach-up lines. Should have double shifted Nemec and Knazko with 5min left 1 goal down in the QF.

Reactions: Jabs102501 and tobu

Jabs102501

May 16, 2018
Very good showing this year. I thought that there was a massive improvement compared to last year's performance. Competing with teams like Canada gives me hope that Slovakia can still be the team it once was, however the Finland game was very disappointing. I had to turn it off through the middle of the second period :laugh:. The 16 year olds Slafkovsky and Nemec were very impressive, and looked like some of our best players already, which is promising. Furthermore, most of the team from this year is coming back for next year's tournament, so we might be a much stronger team next year. Also, Germany won't have Stutzle next year so we should be able to beat them.

Reactions: hellwar9

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Very good showing this year. I thought that there was a massive improvement compared to last year's performance. Competing with teams like Canada gives me hope that Slovakia can still be the team it once was, however the Finland game was very disappointing. I had to turn it off through the middle of the second period :laugh:. The 16 year olds Slafkovsky and Nemec were very impressive, and looked like some of our best players already, which is promising. Furthermore, most of the team from this year is coming back for next year's tournament, so we might be a much stronger team next year. Also, Germany won't have Stutzle next year so we should be able to beat them.
After 2 very good performances against Switzerland and Canada, our boys looked very tired against Germany and Finland. After group stage, we had 2 days off and our players looked very solid again today. Seems like some of our players needs to work on condition. I agree, both 16 yo looked very good, especially Simon Nemec. I mean he is our most productive player with 4 pts, I don't know if its impressive or sad. Such a shame that Filip Mešár didn't play more often. I feel like we needed his forechecking in this game. Very talented, just needs to add few more pounds in offseason. We are not playing against Germany next year. Theoretically, only in playoffs. We are in group with Switzerland, Sweden, winner and 4th place. Tough group.

Reactions: degustator

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
After 2 very good performances against Switzerland and Canada, our boys looked very tired against Germany and Finland. After group stage, we had 2 days off and our players looked very solid again today. Seems like some of our players needs to work on condition. I agree, both 16 yo looked very good, especially Simon Nemec. I mean he is our most productive player with 4 pts, I don't know if its impressive or sad. Such a shame that Filip Mešár didn't play more often. I feel like we needed his forechecking in this game. Very talented, just needs to add few more pounds in offseason. We are not playing against Germany next year. Theoretically, only in playoffs. We are in group with Switzerland, Sweden, winner and 4th place. Tough group.

Teams like US, Canada or Finland practice and train in a high tempo style like it's a game. Slovakia was not able to match that kind of intensity when Finland or US put an extra gear. They should also focus on improving all kind of skills (puck management, edge work). It was clear when they wanted to play in the higher speed their passes were not acurate but bouncing off their sticks.

Reactions: degustator

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Just an observation.

Midway the 3rd period in QF and also SF team USA gets scored allowing Slovakia resp. Finland making it a 1 goal game.

What does the Finnish coach do at that moment? He shortens the bench and rotates only the top 2 lines, best D pairs to create the pressure to give his team a chance to tie the game.
USA feeling the pressure shots the puck over the glass, that's an automatic PP for Finland. Finland scores on PP, game is tied.
Slovak coach with 10 minutes left rolls the lines and D pairs as usual. With 5 minutes left he goes with D Turan Petrovicky. Turan gets out of his zone, loses the puck on the red line, luckily offside is called. Next D pair out is Mudrak Golian. USA shoots the puck to gain the zone, Mudrak gets it first, goes behind the crease, makes a turnover and the rest is history.
Coach Petrovicky never gave his team a proper chance to tie that QF game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Faterson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad