WC: 2021 Switzerland roster talk

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Suddenly looks bleak when it comes to NHL-ers. Nashville could easily end up in the PO, even Sharks are not completely out of the picture...

Hopp Suisse !!!

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
It's not that bad, Haas, Weber, Niederreiter, Fiala in, Hischier, Siegenthaler, Kukan out. Meier likely out, and if Josi makes it that frees Suter and Kurashev. Plus Dallas looks in a good position to take the 4th playoff spot.

Anyway, the good news is, after two years this thread is finally here! And the first roster should announced tomorrow. Some good players already available, especially on defense:

Berra, Schlegel, van Pottelberghe, Conz

Müller, Loeffel, Jung, Kreis, Moser, Rathgeb, Fora, Glauser

Fazzini, Bertaggia, Herren, Mottet, Ambühl, Corvi, Herzog, Nussbaumer, C\/nti, Brunner, Fuchs, Müller

and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Not bad for a first roster.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
As stv11 said the NLA player base looks stronger than usual this year. Malgin could make his come back if he is healthy and Andrighettos impact has not been far of the NHL players in past tournaments. Then you have up and coming players like Moser and Nussbaumer and a few of the veteran players like Corvi and Ambühl are having career years. Even in goal there are a handful of players who had strong seasons and could share the workload with Genoni.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Siegenthaler and Suter are out of contract, so we'll see if they risk it like Fiala two years ago.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Siegenthaler might want to show what he can do after how washington treated him. Suter may not come though, he's in a good position to cash in.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
We'll see that pretty soon I guess. I read that he'll probably be protected for the Expansion draft so the Devils will likely keep him.
On the other hand, the last Swiss player I can remember had an injury which forced him to end the tournament was Sven Bärtschi, cannot remember the year though.

Anyway, best time of the year, World Championship roster selection. :)
Looking forward to the first roster which should come out today.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
It was 2014, Bärtschi just played a few shifts in the opening game against Russia. But of the top on my head there was Kukan in 2015, and Weber and Moser in 2019, though these were less serious.

The semifinals will be over on May 5, so we might have players from 10 teams for the game against Italy already.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
So no announcement today. Not surprising considering two teams got eliminated just two days ago, but the least they could have done was to let people know, that would have saved a few F5.

And two more teams out, a few interesting available: Frick, Genazzi, Untersander, Malgin, Bertschy, Praplan, Moser, Scherwey

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
First roster with 24 players.

Simon Moser is opting out because of the birth of his second child in the coming weeks. Denis Malgin is yet to recieve permission from the Maple Leafs but good to hear that he'd join if the permission arrives.
André Heim had strong playoffs, he's probably the surprise in the roster. Genazzi is missing, the rest I'd probably expected.

Torhüter (3): Reto Berra (Fribourg-Gottéron), Niklas Schlegel (HC Lugano), Joren van Pottelberghe (EHC Biel-Bienne)

Verteidiger (8): Michael Fora (HC Ambrì-Piotta), Lukas Frick (Lausanne HC), Andrea Glauser (SCL Tigers), Fabian Heldner (Lausanne HC), Samuel Kreis (EHC Biel-Bienne), Romain Loeffel (HC Lugano), Janis Jérôme Moser (EHC Biel-Bienne), Ramon Untersander (SC Bern).

Stürmer (13): Andres Ambühl (HC Davos), Alessio Bertaggia (HC Lugano), Christoph Bertschy (Lausanne HC), Enzo Corvi (HC Davos), Luca Fazzini (HC Lugano), Jason Fuchs (EHC Biel-Bienne), André Heim (SC Bern), Fabrice Herzog (HC Davos), Killian Mottet (Fribourg-Gottéron), Inti Pestoni (SC Bern), Vincent Praplan (SC Bern), Tristan Scherwey (SC Bern), Samuel Walser (Fribourg-Gottéron).

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Any news about Mirco Müller? He's the big name missing with Moser and Malgin.

Apart from those 3, Genazzi and Rathgeb are the two I didn't expect to see left out. I guess Fischer wanted 3 of Moser, Untersander, Loeffel and them, which would make sense with Diaz, Alatalo and Josi as potential additions.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
This happend 12 days ago:

I guess Rathgeb had his chances the last two years and he didn't deliver. And with a possible addition of Josi/Kukan and Siegenthaler (I'd hope at least one of those is joining) and names like Geering, Berni, Marti, Karrer, Egli, Diaz, Alatalo and Geisser still around he'd have no chance anyway.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I didn't know that, no idea why it wasn't reported, all our hockey portals gave Leksand's results but it seems like they couldn't be bothered to look past the boxscore.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Definitely, he just had his best season. I would say that him, Diaz, Moser, Fora and Frick are the NL defensemen most likely to make it, but you have guys like Loeffel or Untersander who have already played at the WC and could convince the coach with a good training camp, plus young guys like Karrer or Geisser who could surprise.

And obviously there's the matter of how many NHL defensemen are available.

Reactions: Lartsaman

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
There is a good possibility that we will have we will have two new dual-nationals in the final roster with Alatalo and Moy

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Not sure about Moy, there's a lot of offensive depth. From the current roster I think he's behind the three Davos players, Bertschy and Scherwey. Add Hofmann, Martschini, Vermin, Rod, Andrighetto, Schäppi and Hollenstein from the teams still in the playoffs plus a few NHL players. And then you still have a chance that someone has a surprisingly good training camp like Bertaggia in 2019, plus some guys who had a breakout season like Simion, Zehnder or Lehmann.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Egli is looking a bit like Ryan Ellis..Little but lighter but he has some real skill with the puck on his stick.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
They're teams are out and they are not on the roster, so no, no chance for them.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I dont think they are fit for that level of play anymore.

Both hadn't had an above average WC since 2013 and :eek::eek::eek::eek:i has very limited international experience for his age anyway.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Lehmann should get some consideration IHMO. His speed is a real asset. And the rest of his game also stepped up nicely this season.

Reactions: BlizzardSloth

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I'm sure he will, he's been pretty impressive in the playoffs. Rapperswil players might get a look next week against Italy already if Zug manages to end the series today.

Last edited:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Well, who would have thought that Rapperswil would last longer than ZSC? I guess that even if they are eliminated on Saturday it would be a bit too late to have Lehmann play against Italy.

On the other hand, I hope Prassl and Berni get a look. Andrighetto and Schäppi are known commodities, so they can probably enjoy some rest. Not sure about Hollenstein and Geering, will Fischer have a good look at them or does he know them well enough already?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Great game by Rapperswil today, really impressive.

Andrighetto is a lock, not sure about Schäppi though, he hasn't played internationally the last two years. And he wasn't impressive at all.
Berni should get a look altough I expected a little bit more from him, Prassl is interesting but probably not ready. Geering is rock solid. Depending on which NHL-defender are joining and if there are injuries he could get a spot. For Hollenstein I see no room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad