WC: 2021 Sweden Roster Talk

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
They just said on the SVT broadcast (Russia - Denmark) that Lundqvist will miss the rest of the tournament. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhh! He's been our best player so far

iu

2020-2021 just keeps delivering. Lundkvist was the single most interesting player on the entire Swedish team. So young, yet so dominant in his game already. He was the guy that made things happen offensively even when the rest of the team sucked. And when the rest of the team joined in on the effort, his points poured in (1+3) vs Switzerland. NYR will have a gem, but right now I just wanted to see more of him. OF COURSE he had to get injured against a very grumpy Swiss team.

I would say he has been the best player on the entire roster after 3 games. While I still think the team can play well, this is devastating news.

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Imagine if the Swedish hockey federation they will have to take their leadership as serious as the implementation of how hard the peewee and junior players must practice to become elite. How about elite coaches? No program for that, huh?

Swedish coach: -Uhm, uhm, I think we didn't come up to our standards.
Activist (also called journalists): - Did you pick the right team?
Coach: - Uhm, I think so (he didn't).

But, I'm willing to write it off as just being 2021. An even shittier, worse crappy manure year than 2020. Of course they can't even reach the QF. When Lundkvist went down, everything was lost. Garpenlöv's manure defense just fell apart, as expected. The selection... holy hell. Now I'm back to whining mode.

Of course he - hopefully - can't stay if Sweden gets eliminated before the QFs. But then the problem persists? Which one is the next inadequate idiot to get the job?

Last edited:
Reactions: mjlee

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
Denmark wins over Belarus might still have slightly chance to go to QF but I skeptical, Sweden might lose againts UK after todays match.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Denmark wins over Belarus might still have slightly chance to go to QF.
Seriously, who cares? This team? What the hell can they do? The blueline is utter shit now. At least we had some hope in Lundqvist.

A Swedish team being unreliant on its defenseman can do nothing, they're so important and has been a remaining quality in Swedish hockey for such a long time. If you have Lööv as a minute eating player, you will lose. When Tömmernes is your "best" D-man, you know it's not good enough. "He's a star in the Swiss league." Yeah, the Swiss league, such a big accomplishment. Well, in the international standards, they're not even close to good enough.

If they reach the QF they will lose that QF, hands down. It's over anyway.

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
Seriously, who cares? This team? What the hell can they do? The blueline is utter shit now. At least we had some hope in Lundqvist.

A Swedish team being unreliant on its defenseman can do nothing, they're so important and has been a remaining quality in Swedish hockey for such a long time. If you have Lööv as a minute eating player, you will lose. When Tömmernes is your "best" D-man, you know it's not good enough. "He's a star in the Swiss league." Yeah, the Swiss league, such a big accomplishment. Well, in the international standards, they're not even close to good enough.

If they reach the QF they will lose that QF, hands down. It's over anyway.

Yeah I'm a big fan of Tre Kronor, but this year somehow I'm not that excited. Well well well.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
My prediction:

- Sweden will comfortably beat Great Britain
- A narrow victory against Slovakia, perhaps after the shootout so we don't get the full 3pts
- We go in to the game against Russia with a chance if we win and some other results go our way. SVT has a 3h pre-game show speculating on all the different scenarios in which Sweden can qualify for the QF. Game begins 3-0 Russia after the first period and the tournament is over

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Yeah I'm a big fan of Tre Kronor, but this year somehow I'm not that excited. Well well well.
Yes, this is a bum year. Normally the team can play some really beautiful hockey, sometimes it almost looks like art. But when you realize the names who are supposed to regularly do the right thing, that hope of looking at art on ice quickly diminishes when you look at this trainwreck and the chosen names on the back. This of course starts with the organization who has gotten away with really shitty coaching selections for a long, long time. All shit starts in Stockholm.

Quality wise, the Swedish game should still be there competing better than this, but that gets really hampered when a whiskey buddy to some friend gets the job. The coaching has always been somewhat mediocre, I might even give Garpenlöv a star in that regard compared to some older dinosaurs in ties. They usually just look like deer caught in the headlights when things don't go their way, when they can't win by just doing nothing but make dumb decisions.

But when it comes to player selection? I have no idea what he thought was a good idea. Just as the guys before him? Baffling selections every time - and they never work out. Most of the time they get enough quality in the lineup to ignore their dumb decisions. Not this time. When they have to actually perform they just can't. The last 20 years, Grönborg and Rönnberg have been of NHL coaching quality. The rest have been jokes. That's where the problems start.

With quality coaching, Sweden would've won alot more tournaments over the years, because the player quality available has been solid. The leadership and coaching has overall been an utter joke.

Last edited:

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
But when it comes to player selection? I have no idea what he thought was a good idea. Just as the guys before him? Baffling selections every time - and they never work out. Most of the time they get enough quality in the lineup to ignore their dumb decisions. Not this time. When they have to actually perform they just can't. The last 20 years, Grönborg and Rönnberg have been of NHL coaching quality. The rest have been jokes. That's where the problems start.

It is not a coincidence that the only time we managed to win the WJC, despite many good teams, was with Rönnberg at the helm. That year wasn't even our strongest team over the period of "winning all round robin games"

Reactions: Dala

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
- We go in to the game against Russia with a chance if we win and some other results go our way. SVT has a 3h pre-game show speculating on all the different scenarios in which Sweden can qualify for the QF. Game begins 3-0 Russia after the first period and the tournament is over

:laugh:

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
We have to face reality. UK is our new rivalry.
Iceland is still bad at hockey, so Sweden is at least not worst of the Nordic countries.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
we should have brought guys like holtz and raymond. im sure they would do better than many of the guys currently on the roster

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Yes, we should've brought more young guys when we couldn't get that top NHL talent. This team is missing talent and the best way to get it is players who are a year or two away of establishing themselves there instead of players who never made it. Lundkvist was on of Garpens few good selections. Too bad Eklund got injured, he would've been great on this team.

Lindholm, Lindberg and Friberg are allright selections as long as they are the fourth line, but playing with Rakell?. It feels like the entire team is made up of grinders/defensive forwards: Ramsussen, Lindholm, Lindberg, Friberg, Wingerli, Mario Kempe, Sörensen, Lundeström. They can't all be on the 4th line!

Lundström and Sörensen were poor selections to the team. They are bottom-6 forwards and not much better than the guys who were already on the team. I think Berggren would've been better than Sörsensen. Lias Andersson probably would've managed an offensive role better than Lundström

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Just a few little tweaks and the team would've looks way more interesting:

Berggren stays
Lias Andersson, Rasmus Asplund, Erik Brännström and Tobias Björnfot actually invited
Jonathan Dahlén added
Marcus Sörensen and Isac Lundström not invited
Lööv, Pudas, Rasmussen, Mario Kempe cut

Adam Reideborn
Viktor Fasth
Samuel Ersson

Brännström - Tömmernes
Lundqvist - Dahlbeck
Björnfot - Nygren
Extras: Sellgren, Pilut, Johansson

A. Kempe - Lias Andersson - Rakell
Hållander - Asplund - Olofsson