WC: 2021 Russia Roster Talk

Cherepanov7

Sep 23, 2020
Of the top 15 Russian point producers in the KHL, 4 made Bragin's team. And Okulov only played 2 games with injury, so it's basically 3. Granted Shipachyov was injured too.

Just saying'

Okay, but let us look at these 15 point producers (regular season / and play-off).

1. Shipachyov - invited, then injured
2. Zhafyarov - I think he flew to NA for contract negotiations. Also he is rather small. We already have Tolchinsky. But okay he was not even invited.
3. Okulov - invited, then injured.
4. Kagarlitsky - Not invited, as injured during play-offs
5. Tolchinsky - almost not invited (Avangard hater-ism from SKA/CSKA?)
6. Makeyev - Not invited. Maybe they think he is just the result of Datsyuks play.
7. Shmelyov - Not invited.
8. Plotnikov - Not invited.
9. Shirokov - Not invited.
10. Zernov - Invited, but didn't make the cut.
11. Petunin - Not invited.
12. Kraskovsky - Invited, but didn't make the cut.
13. Tkachev - Invited, but didn't make the cut.
14. Burdasov - Invited.
15. Kuzmenko - Invited, then injured.

If you do the same exercise with the top 15 Russian point producers from the KHL play-off:

1. Okulov - invited, then injured
2. Tolchinsky - invited
3. Shalunov - invited
4. Mamin - invited, then injured
5. Podkolzin - invited, but didn't make the cut.
6. Slepyshev - invited
7. Voronkov - invited
8. Galimov - invited
9. Mozyakin - not invited
10. Sergeyev - injured
11. Petrov - not invited
12. Goldobin - not invited.
13. Kostin - not invited
14. Galiev - not invited
15. Kovalchuk - not invited

I am not saying that Timkin and Shvets-Rogovoi should be in the team (Rotenberg system), but it is not like we have a lot of hidden gems in the KHL not being selected for the national team. I just think the KHL lost a lot of "midlevel" players to the NHL. There they don't get playing time and then they are selected or not avaiable for the national team (Gusev, Dadonov, Barabanov, Grigorenko).

Then again, I agree with you the roster selection is far from optimal. Also, there was a lot of bad luck in form of injuries this year. On both sides of the ocean.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad