Series Talk: 2021 Round 2, West Division Final vs Avalanche

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Game 1 is Sunday in Denver, 5pm. NBC.

All games nationally broadcast on NBC stations.
If we score more goals than the avs and win 4 games this series I like our chances. But from what I have seen of post season VGK, my confidence is not high. But who knows.

Reactions: CupInSIX

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
If we do play like Game 7 we can easily win. We do match up much better against the Avs style-wise. We're one of the few teams that can match their speed and they don't turtle like the Wild. We'll get lots of 2 on 1's, need to score on them.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
If we do play like Game 7 we can easily win. We do match up much better against the Avs style-wise. We're one of the few teams that can match their speed and they don't turtle like the Wild. We'll get lots of 2 on 1's, need to score on them.

I don't know if I agree with much of this. Maybe the style fits a little better, but talent difference between the Wild and Avs is huge at every position. Speed wasn't really causing the Blues to get beat, they just were outplayed by a better team and then gave up a bunch of odd man rushes pinching trying to get back into games. Avs have speed no doubt, but they don't use it as their main weapon. Most of their goals when the games are close are coming from just their talent being relentless and getting chances once they get into the zone.

I think the Knights need to win on the forecheck, really as simple as that. They need to get goals like the fifth one last night, cause a turnover behind the net and quickly get a pass to someone out front before the D and goalie are set up. Grubauer is at a different level than Talbot, he's rarely giving up weak goals right now so trying to beat him with point shots and odd-man rushes probably won't yield much. Going to the net and scoring rebound goals will be crucial, Avs defenders aren't physical clear out guys like the Wild are. We haven't seen much of that from the Knights, but surely they must realize it has to be a key strategy.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I don't know if I agree with much of this. Maybe the style fits a little better, but talent difference between the Wild and Avs is huge at every position. Speed wasn't really causing the Blues to get beat, they just were outplayed by a better team and then gave up a bunch of odd man rushes pinching trying to get back into games. Avs have speed no doubt, but they don't use it as their main weapon. Most of their goals when the games are close are coming from just their talent being relentless and getting chances once they get into the zone.

I think the Knights need to win on the forecheck, really as simple as that. They need to get goals like the fifth one last night, cause a turnover behind the net and quickly get a pass to someone out front before the D and goalie are set up. Grubauer is at a different level than Talbot, he's rarely giving up weak goals right now so trying to beat him with point shots and odd-man rushes probably won't yield much. Going to the net and scoring rebound goals will be crucial, Avs defenders aren't physical clear out guys like the Wild are. We haven't seen much of that from the Knights, but surely they must realize it has to be a key strategy.

Guys like Tuch, Stephenson, Karlsson need to be on MacKinnon like a teen on their 1st date. Tuch did a really good job of coming back to almost match his speed during the season series.
#MackonMackinnon

Reaves simply cannot play this series, and I really hope speedy Nosek comes back this week as well.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
This series key for us has to be special teams. We kept even with Colorado this year through eight games by having 16.7% on our power play and limiting them to 4.8%.

If we don't do about as well in this series, I think there's little opportunity for us to win. That is a high bar to keep and even if we do the series will probably still be close.

I think that's why we are the underdogs, they can afford to lose the special teams battle and still win the series. We can not.

Last edited:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Guys like Tuch, Stephenson, Karlsson need to be on MacKinnon like a teen on their 1st date. Tuch did a really good job of coming back to almost match his speed during the season series.
#MackonMackinnon

Reaves simply cannot play this series, and I really hope speedy Nosek comes back this week as well.

I think most of us agree Reaves shouldn't play, but knowing this team he will at some point. Maybe if he got in trouble for the hit on Suter it would have forced the hand of PDB, but no such luck.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019

We did very well containing their top line all season, and especially their power play. Fleury is much better than Binnington, and part of the problem with the Blues was that there was just no way the Blues were going to score much on the Avs, we should have much more firepower that can keep them honest, and the Blues have below average speed, we don't. We also are better than the Blues at puck possession and being relentless. I imagine Reaves will play, just don't get him trapped in our zone.

I understand why they are the favorite, but we have more than a punchers' chance, the Blues didn't.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
FWIW, round 3 will be West winner vs North winner.

Canadian federal government has come to agreement so that teams can cross border without quarantine for playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad