Speculation: 2021 Offseason

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Looking forward, some major decisions, and likely changes, will have to be made in the Summer of 2021. Here's a sneak peak at our expiring contracts for this year.

Contract Expires After 2020-2021 Season:

UFA:
Brendan Gallagher
Phillip Danault
Tomas Tatar
Jeff Petry
Joel Armia
Jordan Weal
Mike Reilly

RFA:
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Cale Fleury
Arturri Lehkonen
Ryan Poehling

Obviously there will be some changes made before then so it is kind of pointless to stress this early, but I hope MB (or whoever is GM) gets deals done early for some of our UFAs, notably Gallagher and Petry. It would be tough to lose them for nothing.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Gally is a no brainer to resign. Petry and Danault, it will depend of the progression of our young player. I would trade Tatar this summer and I would resign Armia. For the RFA, I think they will all have a bridge contract that won’t cost alote

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Looking forward, some major decisions, and likely changes, will have to be made in the Summer of 2021. Here's a sneak peak at our expiring contracts for this year.

Contract Expires After 2020-2021 Season:

UFA:
Brendan Gallagher
Phillip Danault
Tomas Tatar
Jeff Petry
Joel Armia
Jordan Weal
Mike Reilly

RFA:
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Cale Fleury
Arturri Lehkonen
Ryan Poehling

Obviously there will be some changes made before then so it is kind of pointless to stress this early, but I hope MB (or whoever is GM) gets deals done early for some of our UFAs, notably Gallagher and Petry. It would be tough to lose them for nothing.

That is also the Seattle expansion draft year. So, if player and Management know they will both want a deal to be made, likely a contract will only be signed after the expansion draft, allowing us to protect an extra player.

Age should be a factor in signing any player. Ideally you sign a player until they're 32 and then go year to year after that. If the player doesn't like that philosophy, move them for assets/younger players. Nothing personal. It's just in the new NHL players decline earlier. If there are other GM's out there willing to hand out big contracts to old players, and thus the player can get bigger money elsewhere, so be it. We don't need a Ladd, Eriksson, Bobby Ryan type contract on our books - or the risk of one when we can trade such a player for good assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad