2021 NWHL Season Thread

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Paywall challenged, but the upshot of the CT Whale coach Colton Orr interview with the Boston Globe on Thursday was that his team had multiple COVID-positive test results in Lake Placid following no pre-arrival positives. He added that his players drove the decision to withdraw on Monday for health reasons, even after being given the option by the League to play the scheduled seeding match vs. Minnesota that night. The Whale team & staff were still in Lake Placid at the time of the interview, with “a fairly significant number” of positive cases and all following quarantine protocols.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Can explain what you mean by this?
It just seemed to me to be a surprising distortion of what I'd consider a normal reaction to the conditions & outcome that led the League to this point. All this effort to complete 2 games after the disaster that their initially hopeful Lake Placid "bubble hockey" season turned into looks like an even higher risk gamble to me. Maybe the unique (and possibly precarious) economic position of the NWHL makes picking up where they left off so they can declare a champion on national TV the best option for them, but it also carries the distinct possibility that their past mistakes will be greatly magnified. I hope the League's decision was driven more by thoughtful strategy for the hockey business than by emotional attachment to a hockey dream.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
It just seemed to me to be a surprising distortion of what I'd consider a normal reaction to the conditions & outcome that led the League to this point. All this effort to complete 2 games after the disaster that their initially hopeful Lake Placid "bubble hockey" season turned into looks like an even higher risk gamble to me. Maybe the unique (and possibly precarious) economic position of the NWHL makes picking up where they left off so they can declare a champion on national TV the best option for them, but it also carries the distinct possibility that their past mistakes will be greatly magnified. I hope the League's decision was driven more by thoughtful strategy for the hockey business than by emotional attachment to a hockey dream.

None of that really makes sense to me.

The NWHL suspended their playoffs, and now they'll be restarting and moving forward. The intent was to crown a champion. The NWHL admits they didn't enforce their protocols very well, and that they will be making changes to make sure those previous issues don't happen again.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

They're losing a PR battle to the PWHPA in a big way right now. Getting three games in and "crowning a champion" is the only way they can counteract the exposure that the PWHPA has been getting playing on TV in NHL buildings. It doesn't help that Tumminia has no idea what she's doing. She showed that with the slapdash plan to play in Lake Placid, the poor PR effort surrounding the Lake Placid bubble popping, and the messaging around the shutdown being all about her and her success. As long as she's involved, the league is in trouble.

Reactions: Roadhog

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
DANI RYLAN KEARNEY RESIGNS FROM NWHL, W HOCKEY PARTNERS
March 16, 2021
by NWHL MEDIA

March 16, 2021 (Brooklyn, N.Y.) – The National Women’s Hockey League in association with W Hockey Partners today announced the resignation of Dani Rylan Kearney from her position as NWHL advisor and President of W Hockey Partners, the entity that owns and operates the NWHL’s Buffalo Beauts, Connecticut Whale, Metropolitan Riveters, and Minnesota Whitecaps.

Rylan Kearney launched the NWHL in March 2015 and held the position of Commissioner until October 2020. ...

Read more at: Dani Rylan Kearney Resigns from NWHL, W Hockey Partners

SB Nation's Ice Garden blog puts a little more meat on these bones ... Dani Rylan Kearney resigns as NWHL advisor, president of W Hockey Partners

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
EXCITEMENT BUILDS AS ROSTERS SET FOR ISOBEL CUP PLAYOFFS

March 15, 2021
by NWHL Media

March 15, 2021 (Brooklyn, N.Y.) – The National Women’s Hockey League today announced the approval of team rosters for the 2021 Isobel Cup Playoffs, presented by Discover, taking place March 26-27 at Warrior Ice Arena in Brighton, Massachusetts.

Rosters for the top-seeded Toronto Six, number two Minnesota Whitecaps, third-ranked Connecticut Whale, and fourth-seeded Boston Pride include a maximum of 21 players who must have been contracted by the team for the entire season and eligible for competition earlier this year in Lake Placid. ...

Read more & See the Rosters at: Excitement Builds as Rosters Set for Isobel Cup Playoffs

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
AP sources: NWHL adding 7th team by expanding to Montreal

By JOHN WAWROW
2 hours ago (23 March 2021)

The National Women’s Hockey League is adding a seventh team by expanding into Montreal next season, two people with direct knowledge of the league’s board of governors’ approved plan told The Associated Press.

The NWHL was initially scheduled to announce it was establishing its second Canadian franchise in early February. That timeline was pushed back after the Isobel Cup playoffs were postponed following an outbreak of COVID-19, according to the two people who spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak for the NWHL. ...

The yet-to-be-named Montreal team would be run by the same BTM ownership group that owns the league’s Boston Pride and established the Toronto Six expansion franchise last year. The ownership group includes Cannon Capital managing partner Miles Arnone and Johanna Neilson Boynton, a two-time captain at Harvard. ...

Read more at: AP sources: NWHL adding 7th team by expanding to Montreal

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

This article is a joke.

"Even as the PWHPA has grown and furthered its reach by advocating for better opportunities for women’s athletes, and the NWHL has continued to succeed without star names, the spotlight has been on the divide that’s existed since the CWHL was active."

In the past year, what has the NWHL done that can be objectively said to be successful?

Then she goes on for another thousand words to say that maybe the leagues might work together but maybe they won't, but that they're both good for women's hockey just because they exist, because yay women's hockey.

Reactions: Roadhog

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Then she goes on for another thousand words to say that maybe the leagues might work together but maybe they won't, but that they're both good for women's hockey just because they exist, because yay women's hockey.
Just because you don't have a life-affirming personal cheerleader, Eddie, that doesn't mean others don't deserve one. :cheer:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad