Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Entry Draft

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
Just a note that Jets had Chaz Lucious listed at 13 on their internal list. In the 1st round media availability, Chevy told Murat Ates that the picks were much *tighter* than he had expected relative to their own lists. He leaked that there was only a variation of four names when it came their turn to pick. Jets got the 17th player in the draft, a variation of four names implies they had Chaz Lucious listed at 13.

My personal guess on who the Jets had Chaz Lucius HIGHER than (yet were picked ahead of him): Boucher (10th), Rosen (14th) Othmann (15th), and Bolduc (16th).

Regarding Chibrikov, reading the tea leaves from Chevy's Day 2 press conference, he alluded to *one name staring us straight in the face surrounded by a sea of crossed out names*. Of course, they called a time-out to think it through. My guess is that Chibrikov was a player they had likely listed between 18-25 on their lists. They probably never gave him much consideration because:

a) Their pick was (17th) player - so no need to concern yourself too much with your 18-30 rankings
b) Never in their wildest dreams could they assume a player they had ranked so high could possibly be available at 50
c) Considering their last *big* picks were Perfetti and Lucius, they probably really wanted to find a value Defenceman with their 50th pick

He alludes to the time-out as a moment where 'we went around the table and said are we really taking this guy?'. Almost like a *too good to be true* moment, yet they've never really *wasted* a high pick on a top end Russian prospect.

Deep down, they probably wanted a D with their 2nd pick, but Chibrikov was just so much higher ranked than anyone else on their list, they couldn't pass him up. That's probably why the time-out. Internally, it's like, do we want our 45th ranked player that plays D, or our 18th ranked player who's a winger???

I wonder if they had a crystal ball and could have predicted Chibrikov would be available to them at 50, would they have taken Lambos / Ceulemans / Zellweger / Morrow at 18th overall?

In all scenarios, the Jets made the right choices... but I feel like that time-out is telling of the internal tension they felt about going Perfetti, Lucius, Chibrikov with their most valuable picks ..

In all scenarios, I feel the Jets made the right choice. Always draft best player available.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Just a note that Jets had Chaz Lucious listed at 13 on their internal list. In the 1st round media availability, Chevy told Murat Ates that the picks were much *tighter* than he had expected relative to their own lists. He leaked that there was only a variation of four names when it came their turn to pick. Jets got the 17th player in the draft, a variation of four names implies they had Chaz Lucious listed at 13.

My personal guess on who the Jets had Chaz Lucius HIGHER than (yet were picked ahead of him): Boucher (10th), Rosen (14th) Othmann (15th), and Bolduc (16th).

Regarding Chibrikov, reading the tea leaves from Chevy's Day 2 press conference, he alluded to *one name staring us straight in the face surrounded by a sea of crossed out names*. Of course, they called a time-out to think it through. My guess is that Chibrikov was a player they had likely listed between 18-25 on their lists. They probably never gave him much consideration because:

a) Their pick was (17th) player - so no need to concern yourself too much with your 18-30 rankings
b) Never in their wildest dreams could they assume a player they had ranked so high could possibly be available at 50
c) Considering their last *big* picks were Perfetti and Lucius, they probably really wanted to find a value Defenceman with their 50th pick

He alludes to the time-out as where they went around the table and said 'are we really taking this guy?'. Almost like a *too good to be true* moment, yet they've never really *wasted* a high pick on a top end Russian prospect. Deep down, they probably wanted a D with their 2nd pick, but Chibrikov was just so much higher ranked than anyone else on their list, they couldn't pass him up. That's probably why the time-out. Internally, it's like, do we want our 45th ranked player that plays D, or our 18th ranked player who's a winger???

I wonder if they had a crystal ball and could have predicted Chibrikov would have been available to them at 50, would they have taken Lambos / Ceulemans / Zellweger / Morrow at 18th overall?

In all scenarios, the Jets made the right choices... but I feel like that time-out is telling of the internal tension they felt about going Perfetti, Lucius, Chibrikov with their most valuable picks ..

Exactly how I see it too. I don't know how Chibrikov lasted so long. He's signed with SKA until 2023 so that likely factored into the situation. As the earliest a team can get him over here is 23/24 season and that's if he comes at all. But it's just to hard to pass up on a kid like this. He's very Ehlers like in his approach to offence. Could end up being the steal of the draft if he pans out.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

He alludes to the time-out as a moment where 'we went around the table and said are we really taking this guy?'. Almost like a *too good to be true* moment, yet they've never really *wasted* a high pick on a top end Russian prospect.

Deep down, they probably wanted a D with their 2nd pick, but Chibrikov was just so much higher ranked than anyone else on their list, they couldn't pass him up. That's probably why the time-out. Internally, it's like, do we want our 45th ranked player that plays D, or our 18th ranked player who's a winger???

I wonder if they had a crystal ball and could have predicted Chibrikov would be available to them at 50, would they have taken Lambos / Ceulemans / Zellweger / Morrow at 18th overall?

In all scenarios, I feel the Jets made the right choice. Always draft best player available.
Given the Dillon trade yesterday… I kinda wonder if they were trying to do the trade with Washington with their 2021-22 2nd round picks. I could be wrong…just guessing on my part. That was the first thought that came to mind when I heard about the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad