GDT: 2021 NHL Entry Draft July 23rd 630PM MST- Oil hold pick #19

Status
Not open for further replies.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
If the argument is that the Oilers shouldn't have picked a goalie because we need help in the next 3-4 years, than the Oilers should have traded the pick outright. It's pretty rare a guy in the late 1st round truly contributes that quickly whether a forward or otherwise.

Broberg is entering draft+3 and looks to be a year away from making the roster. Bouchard is draft+4 and is only now projecting to crack the lineup full time. And these were top 10 picks.

Jack Campbell was more highly regarded in his draft year than either of these two goaltenders and if he's turned out at all as a starter, it was this year. 11 years after his draft.

Goalies often pan out around the same age forwards leave their prime. If at all. Just because they did not want to take a goaltender, does not mean they shouldn't have liked a forward.

Reactions: Oilhawks

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
That's an invitation to get Bettman's army of refs against you....

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
kmmcakx.png

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
If the argument is that the Oilers shouldn't have picked a goalie because we need help in the next 3-4 years, than the Oilers should have traded the pick outright. It's pretty rare a guy in the late 1st round truly contributes that quickly whether a forward or otherwise.

Broberg is entering draft+3 and looks to be a year away from making the roster. Bouchard is draft+4 and is only now projecting to crack the lineup full time. And these were top 10 picks.
Agreed, and it’s not like it’s a Dman/goalie only thing either.

Yamamoto was our last forward pick outside the top 5 that’s made the NHL, and it took him just as long.

Once you get outside the top 10, everything as far as timing goes is a crap shoot, and passing up on the bpa, especially when it fills the biggest need in the system is questionable.

hopefully it works out, but if we passed on a guy who turns into a number 1 goalie in 5 years so we could draft a tweener forward slightly sooner, that would suck.

Reactions: 780il

North

Jun 25, 2009
This place is so trash tonight as well. So many people are so emotionally invested that they need to lash out like that. Gross.

People get too invested in prospects. The team is going to pick who they’re going to pick. Getting attached to a specific prospect is a recipe for disappointment.

Reactions: Leo360 and Drai Fi

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I actually feel better about our pick knowing we didn't take a sexual predator whom also asked to not be picked. LOL f***ING HABS.

Also eat a bag of shit, blackhawks. Trying to repair your image.

Reactions: DarksideGhost

Drai Fi

Sep 17, 2019
This place is so trash tonight as well. So many people are so emotionally invested that they need to lash out like that. Gross.
Weirdly enough, in my years of reading this board, this has probably been one of the more negative years I’ve seen. Maybe I have a selective memory but even viewing the decent regular season in a vacuum, ignoring the not so decent playoff run, everyone seemed on edge. Everyone was screaming to fire Tippett and Holland, jettison Koskinen, then with how the playoffs went and the aftermath of that, this place is pretty miserable. I guess that’s what happens when the stakes are higher.

Reactions: oilers'72 and nabob

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
People get too invested in prospects. The team is going to pick who they’re going to pick. Getting attached to a specific prospect is a recipe for disappointment.

Just a little self-awareness from a group of posters who are usually wrong about this shit would be nice.

Some of ya'll were shitting up the Draisaitl draft thread too. I remember you.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
"Don't pick me" but how do we know this wasn't planned with a team all along?
If he truly didn't want to be drafted, he wouldn't report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad