Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Incomplete data because the OHL didn't play. Seems consistency was an issue in his D-1 year, but there aren't many consistent 16/17 YO players. I like prospects with NHL size, I think he's worth a shot but not with the #6OA.

Good write up....
Scouting Report: Francesco Pinelli - Smaht Scouting

Edit: Ogee beat me to it but I'm gonna leave the link, lol.

I think Pinelli is one of those guys that falls into my favorites for #22. It's hard to gauge his ceiling but the tools to be a really good player are all there. He's probably my 4th favorite player for the #22 selection.

I've said it before but Lambos in particular is my favorite for that spot. I was listening to the NHL Draft Class podcast this morning and I think it was the May 27 episode where Greg Rajanen of NHL CSB was talking about how he believes that Lambos could be that complementary top pairing #2 guy next to a true number one. Not a huge point producer but a really good all around minute munching guy.

If we could somehow steal a potential top pair guy in the upper third of the 1st round along with a top line forward or top goalie at #6 then we just won the draft.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I've said it before but Lambos in particular is my favorite for that spot. I was listening to the NHL Draft Class podcast this morning and I think it was the May 27 episode where Greg Rajanen of NHL CSB was talking about how he believes that Lambos could be that complementary top pairing #2 guy next to a true number one. Not a huge point producer but a really good all around minute munching guy.

Health concerns are still present for this guy, but I view Lambos much in the same way that I view Jared McIsaac. I think he has a place in the league eventually, but it's not going to come with a lot of pop. I think they will play a physical brand of hockey in their own zone, not be entirely inept at moving the puck on breakouts. Probably be a middle to bottom pair guy, logs PK time, and will be a guy who coaches elevate to fill in for injuries up the lineup.

I mean this is coming from LWOS, so I caution the quality of analysis but look how similar the breakdowns of "defensive game" reads for both of these guys.

Hey bro, make sure you don't copy my homework word for word, we don't want to get caught plagiarizing each other's work. Result:

"McIsaac’s strong skating ability helps him to be an excellent two-way defender. He is very difficult to beat one-on-one. McIsaac can also play a physical game in the corners and in front of the net. However, in order to continue to play this type of game at the next level, McIsaac must get stronger. He is also a smart player, with a strong positional game and good anticipation. McIsaac cuts down passing lanes with an active stick. When a turnover is created, he transitions quickly to offence."

"Lambos is quick to retrieve dump ins and loose pucks and transition the puck up the ice. By limiting the amount of time he spends in the defensive end, he maximizes his defensive game. His strong skating allows him to maintain good gap control. He is tough to beat in one-on-one situations, forcing attackers to the outside and into poor shooting opportunities. If the attacker has his head down, Lambos can explode into a powerful body check. He sometimes needs to be a bit more disciplined at not getting out of position to throw those big hits, but this is a minor critique. Lambos is good positionally and keeps himself between his man and the front of the net. He uses his stick and his body to cut down passing and shooting lanes."

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Straight line speed aside, I'm not sure I see much in Jake Sanderson's game that I don't see in Carson Lambos. I'd like to see us aim a little higher, but I honestly think we could do much worse than Lambos at #6. Would be a great pick at #22, although I don't think he's available by then.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Straight line speed aside, I'm not sure I see much in Jake Sanderson's game that I don't see in Carson Lambos. I'd like to see us aim a little higher, but I honestly think we could do much worse than Lambos at #6. Would be a great pick at #22, although I don't think he's available by then.

Carson Lambos is likely not even an option at 6. He's a guy you watch and see if he falls; if he does, there's nothing wrong with adding a fairly projectable LHD in the 20s

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Carson Lambos is likely not even an option at 6. He's a guy you watch and see if he falls; if he does, there's nothing wrong with adding a fairly projectable LHD in the 20s

I didn't expect Moritz Seider to be an option at 6. I think we're projecting more certainty on this draft than is actually present. Lambos has dropped on many lists, but some folks are still pretty bullish on him as a top 10 talent, where he was mostly projected prior to the season.

I would of course rather draft Lambos at #22 than #6. But I think you could very easily argue for Lambos ahead of some of the names routinely projected to the Wings at #6.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Health concerns are still present for this guy, but I view Lambos much in the same way that I view Jared McIsaac. I think he has a place in the league eventually, but it's not going to come with a lot of pop. I think they will play a physical brand of hockey in their own zone, not be entirely inept at moving the puck on breakouts. Probably be a middle to bottom pair guy, logs PK time, and will be a guy who coaches elevate to fill in for injuries up the lineup.

I mean this is coming from LWOS, so I caution the quality of analysis but look how similar the breakdowns of "defensive game" reads for both of these guys.

Hey bro, make sure you don't copy my homework word for word, we don't want to get caught plagiarizing each other's work. Result:

"McIsaac’s strong skating ability helps him to be an excellent two-way defender. He is very difficult to beat one-on-one. McIsaac can also play a physical game in the corners and in front of the net. However, in order to continue to play this type of game at the next level, McIsaac must get stronger. He is also a smart player, with a strong positional game and good anticipation. McIsaac cuts down passing lanes with an active stick. When a turnover is created, he transitions quickly to offence."

"Lambos is quick to retrieve dump ins and loose pucks and transition the puck up the ice. By limiting the amount of time he spends in the defensive end, he maximizes his defensive game. His strong skating allows him to maintain good gap control. He is tough to beat in one-on-one situations, forcing attackers to the outside and into poor shooting opportunities. If the attacker has his head down, Lambos can explode into a powerful body check. He sometimes needs to be a bit more disciplined at not getting out of position to throw those big hits, but this is a minor critique. Lambos is good positionally and keeps himself between his man and the front of the net. He uses his stick and his body to cut down passing and shooting lanes."

I know Lambos is another prospect that sounds similar to someone we already have, but Lambos was thought of as a potential top 10 pick in 2020 and aside from a lower body injury that hasn't been disclosed yet he doesn't have a history of injuries.

The kid fell in rankings long before the injury for undisclosed reasons as well. I asked Steve Kournianos of the draft analyst as to why, and he had no idea why. It's not like he was leapfrogged by certain guys blowing away expectations.

McIsaac was thought of as a potential mid to late 1st who fell in his draft year for whatever reason. I don't remember if it had anything to do with injuries but the 2018 draft had some real curveballs like Berggren falling out of the first round, Hayton being a reach in the top 10, etc.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I know Lambos is another prospect that sounds similar to someone we already have, but Lambos was thought of as a potential top 10 pick in 2020 and aside from a lower body injury that hasn't been disclosed yet he doesn't have a history of injuries.

The kid fell in rankings long before the injury for undisclosed reasons as well. I asked Steve Kournianos of the draft analyst as to why, and he had no idea why. It's not like he was leapfrogged by certain guys blowing away expectations.

McIsaac was thought of as a potential mid to late 1st who fell in his draft year for whatever reason. I don't remember if it had anything to do with injuries but the 2018 draft had some real curveballs like Berggren falling out of the first round, Hayton being a reach in the top 10, etc.

Not to look too far into rankings because it's an annoying process after a certain point, but in preseason ranks McIsaac was ranked #12 by The Draft Analyst, #11 on Bob's list, and #6 by Craig Button. Comparatively, Lambos was ranked #3 by The Draft Analyst, #17 on Bob's list, and I can't find a preseason rank from Button, but he's around #12.

I won't pretend like they are absolute equivalents, but I tend to think the gap between them isn't as big as others would suggest. Point being, at the beginning of his draft cycle, McIsaac was viewed as a potential top half of the first round selection and fell to a late first grade by the end of the year and fell to the second round come draft day.

The profile is similar. Decent size, physical tendencies. Not remarkable offensively, seem to be reasonably efficient in their own end. These are the guys that always seem to fall because the upside isn't immense. For Lambos, you pair an unremarkable stint in Europe and an injury later in the season with a perceived limited upside...that's an easy draft day fall candidate. I would anticipate people fall in love with some higher upside, less certain prospects that causes a slip. Until a team steps up like the Rangers taking Braden Schneider. Otherwise you get a McIsaac fall to day 2, a Alex Vlasic fall to day 2. This is what I am expecting unless that team like the Rangers is the team who stops the slide.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I honestly can't think of a compelling argument that you could make. But feel free to try.
Was gonna try so I watched some shift by shift, and I'm more intrigued by his JYP U20 partner Ville Ottavainen. Definitely some defensive issues, especially cheating up ice and getting caught flat footed but listed at 6'4" 201lbs with good mobility, stick handling, and shooting. Played on the same OHL team as Sebrango, spent more games in Liiga than Lambos.

EP has him ranked #90 for EU skaters, I think he goes MUCH earlier than that. Would not hesitate to take him in the 3rd maybe even late 2nd. I'm sure the Wings scouts have watched him already when they scouted Sebrango.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
THINKING THAT THE OHL SLEEPERS THAT DIDNT PLAY MUCH THIS
SEASON MIGHT REALLY CHANGE THE PREDICTED ORDER OF DRAFT :

Last edited:

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I honestly can't think of a compelling argument that you could make. But feel free to try.

I've gotta head out for the night so I can't do like a deep dive on Lambos at the moment. But I think the argument for Lambos ahead of someone like, say, Kent Johnson, is in line with your small ball philosophy. If you don't really buy Johnson as a top line guy or a center, and you see Lambos as a pretty reliable bet to play second pairing minutes, I can see where you'd prefer the blueliner.

Mckenzie most recently had Lambos at #15, McTavish at #11, Wallstedt at #10, Clarke, Eklund, Johnson at 6/7/8 respectively. I don't see that as a ton of separation, especially considering players that a lot of the Canadian players haven't played a ton of hockey this year.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I've gotta head out for the night so I can't do like a deep dive on Lambos at the moment. But I think the argument for Lambos ahead of someone like, say, Kent Johnson, is in line with your small ball philosophy. If you don't really buy Johnson as a top line guy or a center, and you see Lambos as a pretty reliable bet to play second pairing minutes, I can see where you'd prefer the blueliner.

Mckenzie most recently had Lambos at #15, McTavish at #11, Wallstedt at #10, Clarke, Eklund, Johnson at 6/7/8 respectively. I don't see that as a ton of separation, especially considering players that a lot of the Canadian players haven't played a ton of hockey this year.
If you decide to watch Lambos (JYP U20 highlights) later this week, let me know what you think of his partner Ottavainen.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
lambos and pinelli are two guys i could see yzerman shocking the draft with at 6 . i love having extra pix in this sleeper draft .
ide like vrana to nucks for 9th to take one of these guys or the russian center to get upgraded at d or c

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
lambos and pinelli are two guys i could see yzerman shocking the draft with at 6 . i love having extra pix in this sleeper draft .
ide like vrana to nucks for 9th to take one of these guys or the russian center to get upgraded at d or c

Pinelli at 6? No chance this will happen. I have Pinelli at the end of the 1st round as a complementary player. With a 6th overall pick you want more than that.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

I'm all for trading Vrana if he doesn't fit in with the core, but I'd rather have an established LHD than some magic beans (9th overall pick).

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I'm all for trading Vrana if he doesn't fit in with the core, but I'd rather have an established LHD than some magic beans (9th overall pick).
its a gamble in attempt during this sleeper draft to aquire a star d or c that goes late because there wasnt enough games played for scouts to realize how good he is . mean while if u trade vrana 4 established player youve no chance atgetting a star

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Went through this yesterday and today. Got some valuable insights from it. I disagree with quite a few of their rankings, and I disagreed with some of their takeaways from the data they tracked.

Worth the 9 dollars I spent for a monthly membership, but definitely waiting for the Black Book next week lol.

(more info and more opinions is always a good thing)

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Went through this yesterday and today. Got some valuable insights from it. I disagree with quite a few of their rankings, and I disagreed with some of their takeaways from the data they tracked.

Worth the 9 dollars I spent for a monthly membership, but definitely waiting for the Black Book next week lol.

It was an interesting read for sure, and I think if you start cross referencing things like this with the Black Book, with the work of say Chris Peters or Steve Kournianos or The Athletic, I feel like we actually have a lot of varied opinions and perspectives that will cover a lot of bases.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
its a gamble in attempt during this sleeper draft to aquire a star d or c that goes late because there wasnt enough games played for scouts to realize how good he is . mean while if u trade vrana 4 established player youve no chance atgetting a star
I agree. I don't think this is a draft that you gamble away an established 20-30 goal scorer with speed for a chance you might hit on something in the next 3-4 years. Vrana gives us exactly what we need for the next few years and if he wants to leave before his next contract, or if he becomes a liability, than so be it.

We're better off taking big chances on potential players with our 2nd and 3rd round picks than moving up a couple spots with no greater guarantee of success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad