OT: 2021 MLB Regular Season Discussion Thread

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
This postseason sucks. Not interested in watching a bunch of recent winners and Atlanta in the CS lol couldn't go worse so far IMO

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
LOL at the Red Sox trolling everyone, three days ago people were saying it'd be a sweep after they got disposed of in Game 1

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
This postseason sucks. Not interested in watching a bunch of recent winners and Atlanta in the CS lol couldn't go worse so far IMO

It sucks that one of LA/SF won’t make it past the DS and the friggin Braves are on the verge of b2b CS’ while barely surviving the NLE.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
It sucks that one of LA/SF won’t make it past the DS and the friggin Braves are on the verge of b2b CS’ while barely surviving the NLE.

I would like to see the MLB expand the playoffs. Especially if they're only going to make the divisional round best of 5 games and have them play every day. It's way too fast with too few teams.

Dinosaur baseball purists will hate that idea, but they can shove it lol

Reactions: Clam Jensen

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Don’t expand the playoffs, tweak it. Make the wild card best of two (ie lower seed has to win twice, higher seed just once), the division series best of seven and reseed after the wild card round, everyone’s problems with this years playoffs is addressed.

Baseball probably will expand the playoffs, but if you want to add a third wild card and have them play the worst division winner in another best of two I can’t complain. Anything else is just silly (going to seven teams, making a division winner play a best of one, giving the top seeds a full bye week plus with a best of three wild card/first round, the gimmicky pick your opponent stuff). They will wind up picking one of the silly options for money though.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Don’t expand the playoffs, tweak it. Make the wild card best of two (ie lower seed has to win twice, higher seed just once), the division series best of seven and reseed after the wild card round, everyone’s problems with this years playoffs is addressed.

Baseball probably will expand the playoffs, but if you want to add a third wild card and have them play the worst division winner in another best of two I can’t complain. Anything else is just silly (going to seven teams, making a division winner play a best of one, giving the top seeds a full bye week plus with a best of three wild card/first round, the gimmicky pick your opponent stuff). They will wind up picking one of the silly options for money though.
Have the Wildcard go three games. A teem having a great season should not just be knocked out by a team having a subpar season and just making it into the Wildcard. Everybody has a bad day. One game should not decide it. I'm not sure it would have done the Yankees any good since the inconsistency was their whole season.

Reactions: Saugus

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Boston down now I want the NL to knock off the Houston Asshowes I would consider the season a success.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Have the Wildcard go three games. A teem having a great season should not just be knocked out by a team having a subpar season and just making it into the Wildcard. Everybody has a bad day. One game should not decide it. I'm not sure it would have done the Yankees any good since the inconsistency was their whole season.

For a sport like baseball where small sample sizes are so unrepresentative, it seems unfair for the season to come down to one game. The wild card rounds absolutely should be 3 games at a minimum.

Reactions: StvBroDan

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i'm not a baseball type guy but i follow it enough. any diehards on here can tell me what they think of batters being able to steal first? I think its a tremendous idea but i saw mlb scrapped it in the single a level

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
i'm not a baseball type guy but i follow it enough. any diehards on here can tell me what they think of batters being able to steal first? I think its a tremendous idea but i saw mlb scrapped it in the single a level

If they can steal from 1st then they should be able to steal from the on deck circle… now that might make me start to watch some games again.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
If they can steal from 1st then they should be able to steal from the on deck circle… now that might make me start to watch some games again.

thats what i meant. stealing first if there is a passed ball by the catcher they could take off for first base. it kinda makes sense and surprised that wasn't in the rules from the start. why can you just take off for first if theres a passed ball on a swinging strike?

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
For a sport like baseball where small sample sizes are so unrepresentative, it seems unfair for the season to come down to one game. The wild card rounds absolutely should be 3 games at a minimum.
Referring back to this comment from last month, but while I'd normally agree with you I think the one game Wild Card knockout actually serves a good purpose: it's a penalty for the WC teams, since the answer to "this is unfair!" is "then you should've won your division." Then there's the logistical reason why they keep it to one game: if there's a day or two where they need to play tiebreaker games, then play best of 3s, at some point you're pushing the World Series deeper into November, which really shouldn't be the goal given how inhospitable a lot of markets are for baseball as it gets colder outside.

In the end, baseball isn't like hockey or basketball; 162 games is too long a regular season to end up with nearly half the league making the postseason, at least in my opinion (hell, the NBA shouldn't have as many teams in the playoffs as they do; at least the parity in the NHL makes every series interesting from round one). That said, if they expand the league to more like 36 teams I'd be ok with adding to the postseason, but it'd feel wrong before then.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad