Topias Vilen
Michael Vukojevic
Reilly Walsh
Colton White
Yegor Zaitsev
Fabian Zetterlund

Barry Tallackson

Mar 4, 2014
Getting to the weird part.. funny that players that will get 4th line minutes this year are not getting any votes (Zetherlund, Studenic, Thompson) compared to players that may never sniff the NHL.

Reactions: Nocashstyle

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
add Bardakov. Pytlik is my number 13. That was hard to pull him out of top-12. I`m really intriguing about his skating progress.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Getting to the weird part.. funny that players that will get 4th line minutes this year are not getting any votes (Zetherlund, Studenic, Thompson) compared to players that may never sniff the NHL.

Thompson is being way underrated. He had a bad showing in the NHL for sure, but I wouldn't write him off based on that - some of the guys people are voting for might not even be decent AHLers.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm guessing it's a floor vs. ceiling issue. The prospects we don't know as well are perceived to have higher ceilings.

Beastdog75

C'mon Dougie, swat him he's a fly!
Dec 18, 2005
Brick, NJ
Voted for Thompson, add Studenic

(BTW, I could've sworn that Bardakov got the most add votes last poll)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Thompson is being way underrated. He had a bad showing in the NHL for sure, but I wouldn't write him off based on that - some of the guys people are voting for might not even be decent AHLers.

Someone said in the previous thread that Moynihan was being seriously underrated. Both he and Thompson played for Providence last year. Thompson played more games, but they produced at a pretty similar level. Obviously Thompson has more of a track record, but he's also 1.5 years older. Let's see if Moynihan can fill that role now that Thompson has moved up the ladder.

It's interesting. But I think I agree Thompson, Clarke, and Z should be the next guys up. Of that trio, the youngest guy, Clarke produced at the best rate for Bing last year(just inching past Z).

So I'll go Clarke.

Stud's is further down the list yet imo.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Moynihan was near ppg (2nd in p/g) in his D+2 season behind Thompson. I find he's getting horribly underrated.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Age and position plays a part and there is a mess of forwards here. Pytlik is still 19, he turns 20 in Sept, is a center with size and the improved skating helps against the knock that dropped him in the draft.

I don’t think all the prospects we don’t know well are getting that much of a break, Bardakov is the only other 2021 guy to get any love outside of the top three. (Not pushing them, just saying.) And Bardakov has a very a particular set of skills, is a mean boy in a man’s league and there’s some offense there too. Add him.

I’m a little worried Moynihan will go UFA, he may run the numbers and feel like RW prospects are crowded here. I hope not, I just always never fully count on college guys until they’re there signed. (What with all that book learning filling their heads with who knows what!)

I think Misyul is underrated but he isn’t getting here soon so who cares. There’s a real good chance Schnarr is going to grind his way to a 4th line NHL center and he might not make the list.

I’m impressed if anyone has strong feeling about the order at this point. Look at the voting %, Stillman at 8th was the last guy to get a majority of votes and before that it was Foote at 4th. It’s a free for all, every prospect was screwed by COVID to a certain extent, some a lot more than others.

One winner is, Studenic, who saw the team add two more Slovakians (Tartar and Jaros). I really him, I think he’s a smart player but I’m not sure there’s enough offense is there. Zetterlund has a great wrist shot, is a bull with good speed, but he just sort of skates around a lot, at least when I’ve seen him. I’m not completely sold on his hockey sense but he can definitely change my mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guadana

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I'm going to start doing what @Guadana is doing to keep track of my rankings up to this point so far. Very nice idea on his part and definitely helps compare personal rankings to that of the board's consensus.
  1. Luke Hughes
  2. Dawson Mercer
  3. Alex Holtz
  4. Shakir Mukhamadullin
  5. Nolan Foote
  6. Graeme Clarke
  7. Nikita Okhotiuk
  8. Kevin Bahl
  9. Chase Stillman
  10. Michael Vukojevic
  11. Akira Schmid
  12. Nico Daws
  13. Tyce Thompson

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I'm going to start doing what @Guadana is doing to keep track of my rankings up to this point so far. Very nice idea on his part and definitely helps compare personal rankings to that of the board's consensus.
  1. Luke Hughes
  2. Dawson Mercer
  3. Alex Holtz
  4. Shakir Mukhamadullin
  5. Nolan Foote
  6. Graeme Clarke
  7. Nikita Okhotiuk
  8. Kevin Bahl
  9. Chase Stillman
  10. Michael Vukojevic
  11. Akira Schmid
  12. Nico Daws
  13. Tyce Thompson
I don’t know if I want to give up any strategic advantages to @Guadana , I already know he’s never going to shut-up about his boy Edvinsson after he blossoms into a stud. I don’t want him to become completely insufferable.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I don’t know if I want to give up any strategic advantages to @Guadana , I already know he’s never going to shut-up about his boy Edvinsson after he blossoms into a stud. I don’t want him to become completely insufferable.
Did you know L Hughes is my number two) ? Anyway Edvinsson is RedWinger now and I hate them. So - fvck Edvinsson and good luck to be a bust.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Age and position plays a part and there is a mess of forwards here. Pytlik is still 19, he turns 20 in Sept, is a center with size and the improved skating helps against the knock that dropped him in the draft.

I don’t think all the prospects we don’t know well are getting that much of a break, Bardakov is the only other 2021 guy to get any love outside of the top three. (Not pushing them, just saying.) And Bardakov has a very a particular set of skills, is a mean boy in a man’s league and there’s some offense there too. Add him.

I’m a little worried Moynihan will go UFA, he may run the numbers and feel like RW prospects are crowded here. I hope not, I just always never fully count on college guys until they’re there signed. (What with all that book learning filling their heads with who knows what!)

I think Misyul is underrated but he isn’t getting here soon so who cares. There’s a real good chance Schnarr is going to grind his way to a 4th line NHL center and he might not make the list.

I’m impressed if anyone has strong feeling about the order at this point. Look at the voting %, Stillman at 8th was the last guy to get a majority of votes and before that it was Foote at 4th. It’s a free for all, every prospect was screwed by COVID to a certain extent, some a lot more than others.

One winner is, Studenic, who saw the team add two more Slovakians (Tartar and Jaros). I really him, I think he’s a smart player but I’m not sure there’s enough offense is there. Zetterlund has a great wrist shot, is a bull with good speed, but he just sort of skates around a lot, at least when I’ve seen him. I’m not completely sold on his hockey sense but he can definitely change my mind.

My guess is if Moynihan has a solid season that NJ offers to sign him at the end of this college season. That gives him a two year head start over playing all four years and then signing a contract. I think that is how NJ has gotten a number of guys to sign from college. Moynihan isn’t your garden variety bottom six RW prospect. He has some Hughes armor so he probably has a bit more confidence he will be given a full and fair opportunity to carve out a role.

Reactions: Guttersniped

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Thompson's NHLe after his 2nd NCAA season (1st after being drafted) was outstanding, one of the highest in his draft class IIRC. But his scoring dipped last season in the NCAA even before he went pro, and when he did go pro it was a pretty rude awakening.

He dropped out of my top-10 but IMO this is a bit too low. In terms of raw talent I think he's quite high, but he has a lot of development left to go. Bit of a wildcard but I think he's still a good prospect.

IMO he should not touch NHL ice at all this season. Give him consistent top-6 minutes in Utica all season.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Thompson's NHLe after his 2nd NCAA season (1st after being drafted) was outstanding, one of the highest in his draft class IIRC. But his scoring dipped last season in the NCAA even before he went pro, and when he did go pro it was a pretty rude awakening.

He dropped out of my top-10 but IMO this is a bit too low. In terms of raw talent I think he's quite high, but he has a lot of development left to go. Bit of a wildcard but I think he's still a good prospect.

IMO he should not touch NHL ice at all this season. Give him consistent top-6 minutes in Utica all season.

I don't think anyone will be given minutes at Utica at right wing and left defense. The prospects are stacked up at both positions. Thompson will have to battle with Clarke, Holtz, and maybe Zetterlund and/or Mercer. Someone or maybe someones is going to get it together at some point but it may be a bumpy ride next season.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I don't think anyone will be given minutes at Utica at right wing and left defense. The prospects are stacked up at both positions. Thompson will have to battle with Clarke, Holtz, and maybe Zetterlund and/or Mercer. Someone or maybe someones is going to get it together at some point but it may be a bumpy ride next season.
Maybe "given" top-6 minutes was a little strong. Obviously we brought in some pros like DeLeo and Flynn to bolster that lineup, and there's a ton of competition from the kids. But I hope he'll be given opportunities to succeed - some PP time, some shifts in the top-6. Obviously he has to earn it.

It's interesting because many of the players like Mercer, Tyce, Talvitie, possibly Boqvist, and I think a few others can play both C and W. We might see some very creative line combinations in Utica this year.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Maybe "given" top-6 minutes was a little strong. Obviously we brought in some pros like DeLeo and Flynn to bolster that lineup, and there's a ton of competition from the kids. But I hope he'll be given opportunities to succeed - some PP time, some shifts in the top-6. Obviously he has to earn it.

It's interesting because many of the players like Mercer, Tyce, Talvitie, possibly Boqvist, and I think a few others can play both C and W. We might see some very creative line combinations in Utica this year.

I'm happy that there is a relatively large crop of prospects percolating. I'm sure they will be up and down for much of the season but they are so young they should improve a fair amount and it won't surprise me if they have a run towards the end of the season similar to the one that Bingo ended on just before Covid hit.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I don't understand this philosophy of 'never call a player up'. Thompson is 22. He should absolutely be playing in the NHL if he has a good run in Utica and there's a spot open in New Jersey. And he could win a spot on the team with a great camp as well and never go to Utica. Even if he is overmatched in the NHL, the Devils will realize that shortly, and he will have things to work on next off-season.

Fitzgerald is very big on rewarding players for good AHL play with callups. I think it's a sensible philosophy. No one grows up dreaming of playing in the AHL.

Reactions: HBK27

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don't understand this philosophy of 'never call a player up'. Thompson is 22. He should absolutely be playing in the NHL if he has a good run in Utica and there's a spot open in New Jersey. And he could win a spot on the team with a great camp as well and never go to Utica. Even if he is overmatched in the NHL, the Devils will realize that shortly, and he will have things to work on next off-season.

Fitzgerald is very big on rewarding players for good AHL play with callups. I think it's a sensible philosophy. No one grows up dreaming of playing in the AHL.
At first but after a player has a season in the AHL like Quenneville did in 2016-17 they might change their tune.

Reactions: Triumph

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad