Reilly Walsh
Colton White
Yegor Zaitsev
Fabian Zetterlund

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Grits, add Bardakov. (I said Studs before but Caser’s cat convinced me of the error of my ways.)

Reactions: Guadana

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Went with Tyce again but looks like third time isn't the charm.

In fairness, playing with KalPa should be good for Jaromir Pitlyk; club has been good developing young players (though to this point it's mostly been those coming up through the junior program).

Add Zaitsev.

pkbrux

Jul 19, 2006
NJ
I will keep voting Daws until he is selected. I wanted to vote for him at number 9 before he was even added to the poll.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Vote for Arseniy, add Bardakov. Bardakov is my number 12. He is my nubmer 12a, Pytlik is my nuber 12b, Hope both will go up in the raitings next year. I really like both.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
@Guadana

To the other conversation from the team thread:

If this was our prospect pool today what would you think of it? All I did was remove any pick higher than we had from 1997 to 2014 (excluding Larsson) - All of a sudden the pool doesn't look so sexy does it? Two of the top 3 aren't even our picks...Did the drafting get better? Or did having higher picks improve the pool? Higher picks come at a cost you know? And that isn't better drafting.

1. Nolan Foote 2019 Round 1 #27 overall* not our pick traded for
2. Shakir Mukhamadullin 2020 round 1 #20 overall
3. Kevin Bahl 2018 round 2 #55 overall * not our pick traded for
4. Graeme Clarke 2019 round 3 #80 overall
5. Chase Stillman 2021 round 1 #29 overall
6. Nikita Okhotiuk 2019 round 2 #61 overall
7. Samu Salminen 2021 round 3 #68 overall
8. Michael Vukojevic 2019 round 3 #82 overall

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
@Guadana

If this was our prospect pool today what would you think of it? All I did was remove any pick higher than we had from 1997 to 2014 (excluding Larsson) - All of a sudden the pool doesn't look so sexy does it? Two of the top 3 aren't even our picks...Did the drafting get better? Or did having higher picks improve the pool? Higher picks come at a cost you know? And that isn't better drafting.

As part of our other conversation, we should delete Nico and Jack from the conversation. They are the first picks. Although we can remember, some scold the choice of Hishier. But then there was no choice between him and Makar\Heiskanen. Either Hishier or Patrick. In any case, the conversation is not about them.
I am not a fan of the picks of Holtz, Luke Hughes, MacLeod and Stillman(at least if I were a manager , I would do it differently, even if I really wanted him). Similarly with Mukhamadullin - I understand the choice, but as an analysis of the work of management - I would like to see a downward movement in such cases.

As for the closest reserve -it's still your choice of ten. I would not put Bahl so high, despite the fact that he played in the NHL. Mukha - I really like his potential, but he is raw. Give me a couple of his games to watch and understand how he did work with his weaknesses. But this is a another dispute. And, importantly, some of yesterday's prospects have become players.
Out of the first round - Fayne, Wood, Coleman, Severson, Henrique, Merril from 15 years of drafting. Bratt and Sharangovich can beat Adam and Coleman together. They may not bypass it - we'll see. But we can not say that they are worse. At least they started earlier. And then there was Blackwood. And there is still someone to develop ahead. 6 players from 15 years against 3 players from 6 years. And there is definitely an unfair selection here - Clarke, Salminen and our defensemen have everything ahead of them.
And in general, I would say that the set is very good. Especially considering Mercer and Gritsyuk.

At the same time, I don't think it makes sense to continue scolding Lou for drafts. This was one of his weaknesses. Signing any weak agents at the end of management is probably not his choice, but his boss. But the ability to organize culture, order and 30 years of results is a great achievement.
Lou is rightly criticized for drafts. And I like Сastron`s drafts. Not all. But i see work with personalities. But for me personally, this is the only merit of Shero. Palmieri, Hall, working on drafts. That`s all. That was his decision to trade back and draft Mcleod. The rest is not the result of merit, but of failures. Hughes? Hishier? Great he did dfaft them over Kakko and Nolan, but that`s all, because we svck with Hall in the roster.
I just don't see the point in arguing too much about it, about Lou, because Lou led the team for a huge period of time. Lou's departure is the result of the long-term success and exhaustion of the organization due to bad drafts. I`m absolutely agree that drafting 20+ pics isn`t the same thing, and I don't compare them, I don't give credit to the new management for top-20 pics. But Lou had to draw conclusions in 2007\8\9 and change everything in the scout department.
Shero was fired 5 years later after the complete failure of his plan to build around the Hall, regardless of the quality of the drafts. It's the same now - we should judge Fitz not by drafts only, but by how he manages resources and how he builds a team. No metter what did Conte said - that was his management decision to draft L Hughes over Edvinsson, Clarke, Eklund and Guenther. Salminen? Conte`s department work. Bratt, Sharangovich, Bardakov, Gritsyuk - scouts decisions and I really like it.

Sorry for the wall. I don't know how to express a thought succinctly in English. Especially considering how much you guys like to cling to each other over some detail)

Last edited:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
@Guadana

you know, lou could’ve had some 1OA picks if he had the balls to objectively look at the state of the franchise and do what was necessary. instead he seemed content with middling (followed by dwindling) regular season success at the expense of long term growth. we would also be much further along in the rebuild.

shero did what lou was too senile and stubborn to do, and that’s the only reason fitzgerald walked into such a good situation. a plethora of good draft picks, no awful contracts that needed to be bought out. must be nice

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Are you assuming people here have scouted every pick and/or the gift of second sight or something?

Jesper Bratt’s ranking on 2016 list was #17. Yeah, lower picks have lower profiles, expectations etc

“Or did having higher picks improve the pool?”
Wow, I’m glad I was busy and I missed this kind of contrarian debate club high-end discussion. Wow, 1st round picks are valued more. Shocking truths exposed.

I didn’t read the other thread, I assume it’s a blast as you inexplicably decide these time periods are two vastly different drafting universes that are at war inside your brain.

I would point out that Lou and the gang actually had a good flow of extra picks in 1996-2005 because not only were there 9 rounds until 2004, there were compensatory picks for Group III Free Agents who left (if you didn’t sign a UFA of equal value). It’s why you have ~35 2nd picks in some of these drafts, there’s up to ~20 extra picks strewn around in them. (Our 2nd in 2003 was #68! WTF)

Here’s the rules for them if you have some free time and want stop caring about life (I kid, they are just complicated and boring):

LetsGoPens.com - NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement

So we did get picks for UFAs who walked and teams were compensated for unsigned 1st rd picks (I believe that ended in 2015). It’s why we have a bunch of extra random picks in that era. (Teams were limited to two a year, so it couldn’t get too crazy.)

FYI, #40 is the highest any FA gets (1997 Gretzky/Blues, 1998 Messier/Rangers and 1999 Brett Hull/Blues-Preds-Panther Expansion Draft thing). Unsigned 1st rounders result w/ a pick in the same position in 2nd round (ex. the 15th pick is the 15th pick in the 2nd rd).

1996 #101 4th rd: Josh MacNevin
(FA Bruce Driver)
Hey, we got Colin White in the 2nd round! (With our 4th 2nd round pick). Note: We had SEVEN “top 100” picks, I know you put a lot of emphasis on that. This is a pretty crappy draft but a ton of picks too. (Lou turned the #28 pick into two 2nds.)

1997 #58 3rd rd: traded to Senators in pick trade
(FA Phil Housley)
Well, Clemmer, did things and I :heart:Bisek

1998 #37 2nd rd: Christian Berglund
(Unsigned 1996 1st Lance Ward)
1998 #143 5th rd: Ryan Flynn
(FA Dave Ellett… everyone’s favorite thrown in from the Gilmour trade.) This draft is blast, the trade-ups for Gomez and Gionta, involve all sorts of stuff and there are a bunch of other random trades (Dagenais cannot escape us!). So much stuff, got to love it. (Imaginary Note to Fitz: throw me a bone next draft buddy, make a trade, anything.)

1999 #42 2nd rd: Mike Commodore
(FA Doug Gilmore)
1999 #100 4th rd: Teemu Kesu
(FA Steve Thomas)
Commodore, thanks Dougie, is a good pick but the rest are… yeah

2000 #56 2nd rd: Aleksander Suglobov
(Unsigned 1998 1st Mike Van Ryn)
#135 5th rd: Mike Danton
(FA Dave Andreychuk, valued like a true Hall of Famer forward lol)

And I when I talk about having a lot of 2nds, Paul Martin is pretty sweet pick at #62 but he’s our FOURTH 2nd pick in the 2000 draft. (We had extra ones from dumping Sharifijanov in Vancouver and one was a piece in the Lemieux-Rolston trade.) And only one of the three other guys played 18 games in the NHL, and 14 of them were for the Leafs. SEVEN “top 100” picks again.

#67 3rd rd: Robin Leblanc
(FA Claude Lemieux)
#81 3rd Devils: Ottawa pick trade
(FA Vladimir Malakhov)
God, this f***ing draft. There was Foster, the legendary prodigy who dominated midget hockey until Sidney Crosby threw him into a volcano. Jason Voorhees, also, is here, I believe he briefly was on the Rangers. This was the good old days, when an “overage” European could be a random 27 yo forward (Salomonsson, who I kind of liked in an underdog way but I’m a softie).

Again, we have three 2nds, if you’re into playing “coulda drafted shoulda drafted”, you can certainly do it here, Mike Cammalleri (#49) was drafted right after Pihlman (#48)! And Pominville (#55) is right there, we could have drafted him, instead of Igor Pohanka (#44). Good players right after we drafted worse players! Heavens to Betsy! Booo! SIX “top 100” picks for naught! (I’m I doing this right?) Anyway, I hate this draft.

#51 2nd Devils: Anton Kadeykin
(FA Alexander Mogilny)
Well, objectively speaking, we got better at drafting Russian defensemen because holy shit this kid sucked something fierce.
#218 7th Devils: Ilkka Pikkarainen
(FA Ken Sutton) Yes, Sutton somehow was worth something. This draft only has two 2nds and FIVE “top 100” picks and we now mostly get to wonder how Cam Janssen played 336 games. Krisjanis Redlihs is still playing at 40 and not only did the Devils org fail him, we as a society failed him, and I didn’t get to wear a Devils jersey with a cool Latvian player on it.

#42 2nd: Petr Vrana
(FA Bobby Holik)
Uh oh, fans of “shoulda coulda”, this could get ugly. Like Patrice Bergeron (#45), which was a compensatory pick for Bill Guerin, and Shea Weber (#49) ugly.

On a lighter note, we only got Parise because we had the ability to swap our #30 with the Blues #22, and then use our 2nd (uh, #68) to jump to #17, as the last kiss of the Stevens tampering punishment. A segment Blues fans still grouse about it, which is always fun.

#216 7th rd: Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond
(FA Jim McKenzie)
Well, that something I guess. We traded for Travis, so yay but annoying teams have annoying wins this draft. Sharks help the Bruins trade up for Krejci and the Coyotes failed trade up nets the Rangers (Dubinsky).

And the Sharks traded for Messier in order to get the compensatory pick and the Rangers draft Ryan Callahan (#127) with San Jose’s 4th. The 3rd Mess gets from the NHL, #91, snags Alex Edler… for Vancouver, who traded for the pick, Wilson wasn’t killing it. The Pens gave the Canucks Johan Hedberg as rental, 21 games (plus 2 PO games) and got them Alex Goligoski (#61).
Bleh.

The draft is cut to seven rounds. It’s a weirdo 1-3 ball lottery after the lockout and the NHL can eat a bag a dicks for handing the Pens Crosby. I do get a chuckle when I see that it’s a snake draft, like Fantasy Hockey.

I’m running out of energy pretending to care about the debate part, but I did want to point out why we were a little more flush with picks. The last FA compensatory pick:
#230 7th Predators: Patric Hornqvist
(FA Wade Flaherty) It ends with a bang.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad