Who is going to be chosen by Seattle?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
From the link

Henrik Lundqvist is determined to return to the NHL ice, the biggest question is will it be with the Washington Capitals? On Friday, the Caps only undefeated net minder in franchise history published a photo on his Instagram with his daughter with an update on his health in the caption.

We need Lundy back, he's undefeated.

I don't know who this Michael Marzzacco is, but I'd like to introduce him to Corey Hirsch.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Haven't been shy about the fact that I'm not high on Vitek's ceiling but it still sucks from a cap perspective. I wonder if there's a side deal on the table to take one of Schultz or Dillon after the draft. From Seattle's perspective that would be Schultz/Dillon + Vanecek + sweetener instead of just taking Schultz or Dillon.

Seems clear that Seattle is taking the guys with low cap hits and keeping enough space open so that they can eat additional contracts later on if they're paid to do so.

Frankly, looking through Seattle's potential defensive lineup, I don't think they have any need for Dillon or Schultz.

I have no idea what Caps should do now. Buyout Schultz? Leaves us short a RD and involves BMac eating a whole lot of humble pie. Buyout Hagelin, maybe.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Frankly, looking through Seattle's potential defensive lineup, I don't think they have any need for Dillon or Schultz.

I have no idea what Caps should do now. Buyout Schultz? Leaves us short a RD and involves BMac eating a whole lot of humble pie. Buyout Hagelin, maybe.

As things stand, if we include Fehevary on the NHL roster, we have 4 LD and 4 RD. Buying out Schultz wouldn’t leave us short in roster terms (though some might argue a downgrade), it would just make it a recklessly stupid signing.

GMBM might get the benefit of the doubt in terms of Panik/Jensen/Hagelin contracts because no one saw COVID and the indefinitely frozen salary cap coming (though it hasn’t exactly been shooting up in recent years), but he knew the world we were in when he signed Schultz and Dillon.

As things stand, we have $9,735,407 free with no goaltenders, no Ovi, no Fever and no 13th F. I’ll be livid if they end up paying more than a 3rd rounder to move a contract they should never have signed.

Reactions: Hivemind

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
As things stand, if we include Fehevary on the NHL roster, we have 4 LD and 4 RD. Buying out Schultz wouldn’t leave us short in roster terms (though some might argue a downgrade), it would just make it a recklessly stupid signing.

GMBM might get the benefit of the doubt in terms of Panik/Jensen/Hagelin contracts because no one saw COVID and the indefinitely frozen salary cap coming (though it hasn’t exactly been shooting up in recent years), but he knew the world we were in when he signed Schultz and Dillon.

As things stand, we have $9,735,407 free with no goaltenders, no Ovi, no Fever and no 13th F. I’ll be livid if they end up paying more than a 3rd rounder to move a contract they should never have signed.
Kuzy needs to go for a mix of picks and prospects. That is the only way out of this mess.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012

I completely forgot about TVR. Much like Laviolette did when Caps were having their ass handed to them by Boston.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
There's a clear Dougie Hamilton sized hole in Seattle's D group. We'll see. Assuming Giordano & Dunn stay there's not much there to move on the back-end. Fleury & Lauzon are okay. Nothing special. They've maintained maximum cap flexibility over any sort of hoarding of assets. We'll see what sort of side deals were reached. For now they're set up for a round of getting paid for their choice of cap dumps (along with DET, BUF & NJD).

I could see them perhaps having some interest in Schultz if Hamilton & Barrie go elsewhere. Anyone interested in Barrie could have interest in Schultz. Of the three Caps D I think Jensen is most movable, mostly due to lower cap hit. Even if they've had trouble moving him that's a manageable number for a third pair D. Then Dillon then Schultz I think.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
There's a clear Dougie Hamilton sized hole in Seattle's D group. We'll see. Assuming Giordano & Dunn stay there's not much there to move on the back-end. Fleury & Lauzon are okay. Nothing special. They've maintained maximum cap flexibility over any sort of hoarding of assets. We'll see what sort of side deals were reached. For now they're set up for a round of getting paid for their choice of cap dumps (along with DET, BUF & NJD).

I could see them perhaps having some interest in Schultz if Hamilton & Barrie go elsewhere. Anyone interested in Barrie could have interest in Schultz. Of the three Caps D I think Jensen is most movable, mostly due to lower cap hit. Even if they've had trouble moving him that's a manageable number for a third pair D. Then Dillon then Schultz I think.
Given Jensens contact I would rather keep him.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
There's still plenty of minutes for TvR if they trade Schultz, and they get the side effects of more cap space cleared and having a better defense corps.
Minutes, sure, but there's a lot more overlap between the two in terms of style.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Good. Let them handle the heavy lifting in terms of matching up against the opposing top six, and free up Carlson to pursue the offensive zone starts and soft minutes.
It could work. I doubt they'd want to subtract Schultz only to be adding Fehervary offensively and to largely rely on him to offset that loss offensively. I think Laviolette would want a little more skill than that.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It could work. I doubt they'd want to subtract Schultz only to be adding Fehervary offensively and to largely rely on him to offset that loss offensively. I think Laviolette would want a little more skill than that.
I'm not too worried about that. The Capitals produced plenty of shots and shot attempts while TvR was on the ice. While he didn't have great individual point totals, he does a good job at sustaining offensive possessions and transitioning the puck up the ice. I don't think he was nearly the drain on offense that his detractors claimed him to be.

Reactions: twabby

Jun 15, 2007
Seems like a horrendous overpay for Oleksiak. Like, literally double what I expected him to make. I thought something like 3x3m.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Well, I see Jensen traded now.

Fever-Carlson
Orlov-Schultz then Orlov-AA next season.
Dillon-TVR

They can still sign some guy to eat nachos while AA and Nardella play in Hershey (and wait for call up)

As much as Jensen progressed.. I dont trust him to win Stanley Cup for Caps. Him and TVR are basically the same player with 3x difference in salary. Schultz has his advantages and will be gone sooner.

Reactions: Calicaps

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
Well, I see Jensen traded now.

Fever-Carlson
Orlov-Schultz then Orlov-AA next season.
Dillon-TVR

They can still sign some guy to eat nachos while AA and Nardella play in Hershey (and wait for call up)

As much as Jensen progressed.. I dont trust him to win Stanley Cup for Caps. Him and TVR are basically the same player with 3x difference in salary. Schultz has his advantages and will be gone sooner.
All about cap space and defensive ability. Jensen can skate and has a great contract. Schultz to me is the odd man out.

Reactions: Hivemind

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Seattle is my chosen 2nd team now and it's going to be a painful process watching them get to competition level. I have my doubts about the franchise even though the T birds have a big following. When I lived there, hardly any NHL stuff was popular. I'm hoping they can help the Caps out like they did with Pittsburgh, but wow the bloodletting will be strong a few years for that team, especially for a young Kraken fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad