Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jack Perbix

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I'm fairly confident to say I watch more Gulls games than most people... surprised to see Groulx this early tbh. He's solid but still surprising... good for him.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Went with LaCombe. He always had high upside, but the initial flaw in his game was that it was all done against high schoolers. Here's a refresher on his scouting report by The Hockey Writers: link. He was always a long term project with high dividends if developed. In his draft year, he made Big-10 all rookie team. The following year, he made the Big-10 team. Each year, LaCombe has shown that he can produce at a higher level, which is the NCAA level. While Jackson did have one set back, which was the WJC tourney, he rebounded exponentially from that experience.

JacksonLaCombeNCAA2020-21
.GamesGAPtsPPG Rate
Before WJC60220.33
After WJC21415190.90
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I think he was overwhelmed at the WJC Russia game and couldn't rebound fast enough. Kinda like the term "quicksand" from the movie The Replacements with Keanu Reaves playing QB. Yet, he did show some flash at the WJC that made the coaches keep putting him into the lineup.

So many people are enamored with Zellweger, but he's two years behind where both LaCombe and Thrun are. We know what we have with both in LaCombe and Thrun. It's a bit of a headscratcher to have Zellweger above both LaCombe and Thrun today.

I think if Thrun hadn't lost his NCAA year to COVID, then he might be ahead of LaCombe, but because LaCombe did have an NCAA season and went bonkers after the WJC's, that's why LaCombe has the edge over Thrun. LaCombe still revealing how high his potential is.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
My case for voting Pastujov over Thrun and LaCombe really comes down to the fact that the leading USNTDP scorer for the last 8 years has almost always become a top 6 presence
From 12-13 to 19-20 the list goes
Kelleher
Eichel
Matthews
Keller
Norris
Wahlstrom
Hughes
Bordeleau
I don’t think Pastujov will be as good as the top names on this list but there was only one bust on the whole list so his odds should be pretty good to succeed

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Sasha gonna light it up now that he switched from NCAA to junior.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
My case for voting Pastujov over Thrun and LaCombe really comes down to the fact that the leading USNTDP scorer for the last 8 years has almost always become a top 6 presence
From 12-13 to 19-20 the list goes
Kelleher
Eichel
Matthews
Keller
Norris
Wahlstrom
Hughes
Bordeleau
I don’t think Pastujov will be as good as the top names on this list but there was only one bust on the whole list so his odds should be pretty good to succeed
Yup. Its crazy how he fell to the 3rd round, another slow skating Sniper in Kaliyev only fell to the 2nd round of 2019.
One big difference is that Pastujov has a great work ethic and great personality while Kaliyev has some kind of work ethic or character issue that was mentioned somewhere around the 2019 draft.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Sasha gonna light it up now that he switched from NCAA to junior.

Guelph will be an interesting team to follow. They could potentially have two of the league's better players in Chayka and Pastujov, though don't seem to have much else pending strong development of their younger players. Maybe they try to buy some better talent to put around them, maybe they use them as trade bait to help set up their next wave.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Changed my vote to Thrun. 2nd pair Dman > 3C (so easy to just sign a stop gap Nate Thompson type of 3C)

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Would be interesting to see how people value those aspects of development in terms of value. Projection, upside, draft position, NHL readiness, low ceiling with high probability vs high ceiling with low probability, etc.
We kind of are seeing it here, right? I think there is also some shiny new toy syndrome too. This a pretty interesting study in perceived value actually.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
I'm fairly confident to say I watch more Gulls games than most people... surprised to see Groulx this early tbh. He's solid but still surprising... good for him.

I believe in the offense enough to where I think he's a middle-sixer for a long time in the league.

Can't begrudge anyone who voted for Thrun though. I don't know what his ultimate upside is, but he's absolutely going to play in the league for many years.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Thrun is one of my favorite prospects. I think his absolute ceiling is Jacob Slavin.

I don’t know if his skating will ever be as good as Slavin’s but I see the same hockey IQ both offensively and defensively and they’re about the same size.

I think Thrun will absolutely be a top-4 defender in this league with an outside shot of being an all-situation top-pairing guy who puts up 30-40 points a season.

Reactions: Static

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I am a Thrun fan. One of those defensemen that just stays in the league for 10 years, never top pairing, but someone that makes your team better.

Think of Carney, Dollas, Beauch. (although some of those may have played top pairing)

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I am a Thrun fan. One of those defensemen that just stays in the league for 10 years, never top pairing, but someone that makes your team better.

Think of Carney, Dollas, Beauch. (although some of those may have played top pairing)
Lydman is another one like that.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Went with Thrun, but Groulx is a solid pick here as well, I think.
Both are defensive-minded and maybe less flashy, but potential good and reliable middle-of-the-lineup players.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Any chance Thrun becomes a top pair D like Manson was? Where he is solid and doesn't look out of place, but is just a good enough compliment guy for the other d-man (Drysdale in this case) and not a true top pairing guy on his own.

Edit: I should say is there a decent chance, there's always a chance someone breaks out and becomes higher than projected.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Any chance Thrun becomes a top pair D like Manson was? Where he is solid and doesn't look out of place, but is just a good enough compliment guy for the other d-man (Drysdale in this case) and not a true top pairing guy on his own.

Edit: I should say is there a decent chance, there's always a chance someone breaks out and becomes higher than projected.

Could definitely see a Thrun-Drysdale pairing at some point, especially if Lindholm leaves.

Reactions: lwvs84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad