• Tyson Hinds

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It's time for our annual Ducks prospect rankings. Each poll will run for 48 hours except in the case of a clear landslide. I will go to the top 25 and include a final poll where you can pick 5 honorable mentions. Please tell me who you want me to add in the replies. In the fifth poll, I am voting for Jacob Perreault.

As always the list will define prospects as hockeysfuture does: NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future.

2021 Ducks Prospect Rankings
1. C - Trevor Zegras (no change)
2. D - Jamie Drysdale (no change)
3. C - Mason McTavish (1st year)
4. G - Lukas Dostal (-1)

Our notable graduates and departures are:

Max Comtois
Isac Lundestrom
Antoine Morand
Jack Kopacka​

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Get the sense Perreault will take this one easily and then it’ll get pretty interesting. Honestly have no idea who I’d vote for 6 as of now

Reactions: Getz2noone

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I think so far the tiers are:

z/d

dostal
Perreault

Groulx(he’s real close to earning himself a rookie role for a full season imo)

then it’s wide open

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Can we make it so that unless the poll is super close it’s 24 hours rather than 48?

GunnarStahl

Oct 13, 2020
I went Perreault, high upside and has performed well against men, the only thing I wanted to see was a bit more shot volume but that’s more of a luxury at this stage of his development rather than a necessity. Oh also a WJC invite but that to is a luxury, and a oddly non present one at that.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
In what is regarded as the best or 2nd best farm system in the NHL, no way should a guy who's potential is just bottom 6 center be a top 5 prospect.
I'll take Perreault, Zellweger, Pastujov, LaCombe, Thrun before Groulx.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I'm taking Zellweger here.

Perreault produced more than I thought he would but I would still like to see more. Which is weird that I' picking Zellwefger :laugh: But the reports and tape about him seems outstanding, plus I would trust our team to develop defenseman much more than a goal scoring winger :laugh:

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I'm taking Zellweger here.

Perreault produced more than I thought he would but I would still like to see more. Which is weird that I' picking Zellwefger :laugh: But the reports and tape about him seems outstanding, plus I would trust our team to develop defenseman much more than a goal scoring winger :laugh:
Agreed. Perreault and Zellweger are close for me but Zell being a defenseman (which we're better at drafting) with sky high upside puts him over the top.

Reactions: Kalv and Swedenheim

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
My personal rankings:

1. Zegras (Matt Barzal type IMPACT)
  2. Drysdale

3. McTavish (solid 2C or goal scoring winger)

4. Perreault (worse version of Kessel)
  5. Zellweger (Girard-ish with some Spurgeon mixed in)
  6. Pastujov (if he improves skating better version of Terry)
  7. Dostal (hard to predict goalies)
  8. Groulx (Bonino-ish but a little more physical)
  9. LaCombe (waiting to see him at AHL level) (boom or bust)
  10. Thrun (3rd pairing)
  11. Tracey (boom or bust)
  12. Colangelo (power forward boom or bust)
  13. Tschigerl (worse version of Blake Coleman, I think he will be a 3rd liner, great pick)
  14. McLaughlin (sleeper)
  15. Nickl
  16. Hinds
Cluster I have between 4-7 & 9-14 are super close.​

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Perreault for me... really love his skillset... excited about his potential.

Zell would be my other choice... but i dont know nearly as much about him at this point.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
This is almost the boring part of this list. Perreault is running away with it. I think it'll get more interesting and fun at #6.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
This is almost the boring part of this list. Perreault is running away with it. I think it'll get more interesting and fun at #6.
At 7 i think. Zellweger looks like he'll run away with it at #6 and then at 7 you have the top line winger upside of Pastujov vs more reliable chance Groulx becomes a good 3C/4C.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Jeez. I really think people are reaching with Zellweger. The kid needs to bulk up and get bigger. I am not sure that pick will pan out for us.
Draft picks like Zellweger show that the Ducks are now trying to hit home runs than a safe base hit. Less Steel/Tracey safe picks, more high upside Perreault/Zellwegers that got something elite in their skill set whether it be an elite shot or elite skating.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Draft picks like Zellweger show that the Ducks are now trying to hit home runs than a safe base hit. Less Steel/Tracey safe picks, more high upside Perreault/Zellwegers that got something elite in their skill set whether it be an elite shot or elite skating.
Well, I think the idea makes sense. We often get touted as being "very" successful drafting team, but we don't have many perennial all stars to show for it. Maybe management is noticing that and trying to adapt.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

GunnarStahl

Oct 13, 2020
Jeez. I really think people are reaching with Zellweger. The kid needs to bulk up and get bigger. I am not sure that pick will pan out for us.
Complaining about a draft prospect needing to bulk is one of the weakest complaints to have for a prospect, heck it could even be seen as an asset, when I was 17 I didn’t even weigh 150 pounds, zellweger weighs 175, probably more considering he has probably bulked more since his weight was last reported. Every prospect bulks. Even McTavish will bulk up more. List of Ducks draft prospects that bulked up since draft. Perry, Getzlaf, Lindholm, Manson, Comtois, Fowler, Kariya, Rakell, Palmieri, Karlsson, and basically all the others. Some guys like Perry were string beans at the draft compared to what they became. Remember that this is a seventeen year old and very few seventeen year olds have come even close to growing fully into their body. Size and brute force may never be a pillar of Zellwegers game but plenty of players don’t have a particularly size based play style and get by just fine. Size can be an asset for some players like McTavish but so can something like nimbleness for Zellweger.

Last edited:
Reactions: duxfan1101

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Well, I think the idea makes sense. We often get touted as being "very" successful drafting team, but we don't have many perennial all stars to show for it. Maybe management is noticing that and trying to adapt.
Pretty much.
Seems like every team the Ducks face there is at least one or two guys with an elite shot or a team with a lot of fast skilled guys who make the Ducks look slow.

In the past Murray tried to make the Ducks faster by acquiring bottom 6 speedsters (Hagelin & Gibbons) instead of going after a legit Top6 forward that is fast & skilled.
When he tried to add an elite shot he traded for a guy who has a very flawed game when not shooting (Sprong).

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Complaining about a draft prospect needing to bulk is one of the weakest complaints to have for a prospect, heck it could even be seen as an asset, when I was 17 I didn’t even weigh 150 pounds, zellweger weighs 175, probably more considering he has probably bulked more since his weight was last reported. Every prospect bulks. Even McTavish will bulk up more. List of Ducks draft prospects that bulked up since draft. Perry, Getzlaf, Lindholm, Manson, Comtois, Fowler, Kariya, Rakell, Palmieri, Karlsson, and basically all the others. Some guys like Perry were string beans at the draft compared to what they became. Remember that this is a seventeen year old and very few seventeen year olds have come even close to growing fully into their body. Size and brute force may never be a pillar of Zellwegers game but plenty of players don’t have a particularly size based play style and get by just fine. Size can be an asset for some players like McTavish but so can something like nimbleness for Zellweger.

unless he can prove me wrong, then sure. But lack of size can only get you so far in the NHL. You’re basically having someone the size of Dan Sexton out there

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
unless he can prove me wrong, then sure. But lack of size can only get you so far in the NHL. You’re basically having someone the size of Dan Sexton out there

There are countless examples of small players who found success at the NHL level, even hall of famers. No reason to write him off for being too small.

Zellweger isn't even that light for his height and age. Assuming he adds a normal amount of weight over his late teens/early 20s, he'll end up over 190 lbs, which is close enough to average. He has the elite skating to make up for it, but if he also had good size he simply would not have been available for us to take.

There's a reason Sexton was an undrafted FA and Zellweger was an early 2nd round pick - talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad