Prospect Info: 2021 Devils Draft Recap -- Day Two

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Devils Day Two Draft Recap

I was lucky enough to speak with John Paddock a few times back when he was working in the Philadelphia Flyers front office in the 2008-2010 range. I recall a conversation we had about what separates the teams which draft well from the teams which do not draft well. The theory was that good drafting teams draft as a team — with the scouting staff meeting often with the GM and AGM to develop a draft strategy and compare each others’ notes on all the prospects. The poorer drafting teams tend to draft with less cohesion — giving all of the scouts too much autonomy to pick “their guy” without the collective input of the rest of the scouting team. Another way poorer drafting teams fail is by harping too hard on a particular draft philosophy, like the Ottawa Senators did this year reaching on almost every pick on a physically huge player and passing on far greater talent with every single pick. This is precisely the opposite of the problem a team like Toronto has, where they do not even consider physicality or intangibles as relevant when drafting their players, instead involving too heavy of a statistical approach.

Without the ability to speculate on how it happened, I felt in the 2020 draft the Devils dropped the ball with their final three picks. Edwards, Baumgartner and Shlaine were three straight “throw a dart” type picks in my opinion, though I generally have disdain for that type of cynicism in my own analyses. Yet, one year later there has been nothing to prove me wrong. Edwards was not close to the best defender as a 19 year old on his USHL team, while Baumgartner regressed in the Swiss league and Shlaine was utterly overmatched in the NCAA. I hoped for better in the second Devils draft with Tom Fitzgerald at the helm in 2021.

The good news is that the Devils first round was outstanding, as the Devils picked up the best offensive defenseman they’ve had since Scott Niedermeyer in Luke Hughes, and potentially a player who combines several elements of Claude Lemieux and Randy McKay at RW in Chase Stillman. As for Day Two? Well, these are strictly my observations…

3rd Round (#68 overall) C/LW Samu Salminen, Jokerit FIN Jr.
First, the good: Salminen is a deadly shooter, who is willing to go to the net and the dirty areas to score. His shot is an absolute weapon, we can argue that it was top 10 in the 2021 draft class. He is one of the top handful of face-off whizzes in the draft as well, maybe in the discussion for the best. These reasons alone make him a worthwhile pick in the 3rd round. When we factor in that Salminen is also a high-compete player with a highly intelligent game, the pick looks even better.

Though his IQ leads to a terrific ability to anticipate the puck and find soft spots on the ice to load up his terrific shot, it does not extend to his passing or vision. This leads us to the bad: there are certain elements which will inhibit his ability to stay at C, and threaten his ability to be a middle-six NHLer despite his excellent scoring talent. A top-9 center in the NHL must be able to be a playmaker, and Salminen is not this player. He’s fine as a straight-line passer, but does not anticipate seams, much less create them, so I’d say he’s a pure shooter and not a dual threat. His other qualm is that he is not a particularly good skater — and this is the key element he simply must improve to become anything more than a heady grinder with some scoring pop at the NHL level.

There are reasons to believe that Salminen has the character and compete level to improve his areas of weakness. I’d say his upside is a goal-scoring 2nd line LW or 3rd line C at the NHL level, which is fine for the 68th overall pick in a so-so draft year. Therefore, I would certainly give this pick a good grade. However, I can’t help but think the Devils passed on a couple of even higher-upside, lower-risk forwards taken soon after such as Simon Robertsson or Ayrton Martino. And this is to say nothing of some of the terrific D passed up by the Devils picked later in the 3rd round, such as Svozil, Olsson, Kuzmin and Kirsanov. So, although I like Salminen and think he’s generally a good pick, I give the pick a B instead of an A.

4th Round (#100 overall) G Jakub Malek, VHK Vsetin Czech Jr.
I am not a goalie expert, and I get the desire of the Devils to draft a goalie every year, in case one works out — after all, it is the most difficult position to scout and project. I will also agree that Malek looks good at first look — offering nice size at 6’4 and very athletic for that size, despite an extremely thin frame.

However, if the Devils are going to annually throw a dart at a goalie, can’t they wait until a later round? Two picks later, Vegas selected the best Czech forward in the draft with C Jakub Brabenec. Two picks after that, Chicago tabbed a 6’4-215 physical D who can absolutely fly in Ethan Del Mastro. Later in the same round, two high-upside offensive wingers were taken in Jackson Blake and Connor Roulette. The kicker was Red Savage going to Detroit later in the 4th round — the prototypical third-line C the Devils desperately need in the system, and a teammate and friend of Luke Hughes.

I cannot say whether Jakub Malek will pan out, none of us can. I am not criticizing him as a player, not even one single bit. But I feel this pick was downright awful considering what the Devils need and who was still available. I give the pick a D-.

5th Round (#129 overall) LD Topias Vilen, Pelicans FIN Jr.
Anyone who has read my draft writing over the past two decades knows I love the defensive, stay-at-home defenseman perhaps more than anyone else who calls themselves a draft writer. Vilen is exactly this. He plays a simple, chip the puck out of trouble and take care of your position game with some physicality, and he does it well. Vilen adds to this a very hard slap-shot, though his lack of offensive instincts of any kind certainly temper his ability to blast the puck.

His problems are quite simply, he does not think the game at anything more than a reactionary level, and he has heavy feet — I’d say his skating is below average.

Though I generally like this kind of player, I am forced to ask: don’t the Devils have enough defensive minded left defensemen in the system? Vilen enters the Devils prospect pool as #7 on the Devils LD depth chart; well behind Hughes, Mukhamadullin, Okhotyuk, Bahl, Vukojevic and Misyul and just ahead of Zaitsev and Edwards. The next pick at #130 was a high-upside LW in Sean Tschigerl, while a far more polished and higher upside RD (which the Devils are desperate for) in Jack Bar was taken later in the same round by Dallas. In the middle of the round, Winnipeg — who had another outstanding draft — took RW Dmitry Rashevsky, a devastating shooter and puck handler.

Again, this is no knock on Vilen. I feel, if he improves his skating, he has a reasonable chance to be the stay-at-home half on an NHL third pairing. Just not in New Jersey — there’s just no way he eclipses all the far more talented names ahead of him on that list.

6th Round (#164 overall) RD Viktor Hurtig, Vasteras Sweden Jr.
Finally — finally! — the Devils took a RD. Though he is an over-ager and a project, Hurtig combines a few valuable traits which give him upside. He is between 6’5 and 6’6 providing enormous wingspan, while he’s also a better-than-average skater who shoots the puck well and sees the ice pretty well, especially for a big man. His defense needs work, but it’s better than average, although we must take that with caution since he was a 6’6 19 year old playing in a junior league against entirely smaller and younger players.

Since we’re now in the 6th round, it’s almost self-defeating to decry who else was left on the draft board. My pick here would have been RW Matvey Petrov, but I’m not crying a river. I felt Hurtig was a far superior pick to the two players who were drafted before him, because his combination of size, skating and skill certainly give him much more upside than the average 6th round pick.

7th Round (#203 overall) C/LW Zakhar Bardakov, Vityaz Podolsk KHL
This was — by far — my favorite Devils pick of Day Two. Another over-ager, Bardakov is a physical, in-your-face two-way center with high probability of making an NHL bottom 6. He just missed my Top 96 list, and I would have been happy had the Devils taken him as early as the 4th round.

Bardakov is one of the more physical forwards in the entire draft, and at 6’2-200 he is extremely strong for his size. He is mean, mean, mean — I’d call him one of the top five or six hitting forwards in the draft, and he often crosses the line. He is downright intimidating for opposing defensemen to line up against. Bardakov crashed creases and plays with extreme prejudice.

I feel Bardakov must improve his skating to be a true impact bottom-sixer, and again — though this kid has some scoring ability, we’re not discussing a top-six scorer by any stretch of the imagination. But if he can improve his speed and explosiveness enough to stay at center, I feel he or Pytlik can be internal options for long-term fits as the Devils 3C. In the 7th round, I absolutely love a pick like this, and Zakhar Bardakov was certainly the Devils best value in Day Two of the 2021 draft.

How Steven Ives Day Two Would Have Looked:
Finally, I’d like to add this — so we can compare the results of the Devils draft team and my own opinions a decade down the line. I’m personally rooting for the Devils here, since I want a cup more than I want to be right.

#68: LW Simon Robertsson
#100: C Red Savage
#129: RD Jack Bar
#164: RW Matvey Petrov
#203: RD Jake Martin

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Day 2 was certainly disappointing on paper. We often took a guy when there were what is perceived to be better players available.

I often eschew what's on paper, but your point is certainly valid. Personally, I take a lot of draft rankings with a grain of salt. I feel "on paper" comes into play when Ottawa is taking Tyler Boucher at #10 or Arizona is taking Ilya Fedotov at #43 -- when either of these players could likely have been taken 20 picks later (Boucher) or 120 picks later (Fedotov), it's a bad value any way you look at it. Not surprisingly, Ottawa and Arizona were my two big draft day losers (along with Montreal and Chicago).

But I do feel that the Devils struck out a bit, missing on valuable high ceiling guys like Robertsson and Petrov or high floor guys like Savage or Martin in order to... well, I can't say I know what goes on in the NJ scouting department. I just fear there's a bit of disjunction going on because, quite simply, I can't see a room full of scouts getting excited over a Malek pick or Vilen pick the way they could have getting Savage or Roulette or Duke or Del Mastro or whomever. More like: "ok we got a goalie" or "ok such-and-such scout got his guy".

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I often eschew what's on paper, but your point is certainly valid. Personally, I take a lot of draft rankings with a grain of salt. I feel "on paper" comes into play when Ottawa is taking Tyler Boucher at #10 or Arizona is taking Ilya Fedotov at #43 -- when either of these players could likely have been taken 20 picks later (Boucher) or 120 picks later (Fedotov), it's a bad value any way you look at it. Not surprisingly, Ottawa and Arizona were my two big draft day losers (along with Montreal and Chicago).

But I do feel that the Devils struck out a bit, missing on valuable high ceiling guys like Robertsson and Petrov or high floor guys like Savage or Martin in order to... well, I can't say I know what goes on in the NJ scouting department. I just fear there's a bit of disjunction going on because, quite simply, I can't see a room full of scouts getting excited over a Malek pick or Vilen pick the way they could have getting Savage or Roulette or Duke or Del Mastro or whomever. More like: "ok we got a goalie" or "ok such-and-such scout got his guy".

What’s odd to me is this is the same group that found Bratt and Talvitie and Shara and Maltsev etc. They had a good feel for the draft. The last two years - Fitz’s tenure - it does seem like the philosophy is being changed on some level. It’s not awful by any means and I like a number of picks they’ve made but maybe they are skewing in a different direction. Maybe more emphasis on compete and a bit less on upside?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks STI. Love the addition of who you would’ve picked so we can praise or roast you later :laugh:

Hang onto all these rankings. In 10 years, you might be like: "I can't believe we ever listened to this guy!" Meanwhile, I'll be drunk in an alleyway, clutching a bottle of rotgut whiskey in one hand and a rubber chicken named after Audrey Hepburn in the other, still crying that I once ranked Valeri Nichushkin over Bo Horvat.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
What’s odd to me is this is the same group that found Bratt and Talvitie and Shara and Maltsev etc. They had a good feel for the draft. The last two years - Fitz’s tenure - it does seem like the philosophy is being changed on some level. It’s not awful by any means and I like a number of picks they’ve made but maybe they are skewing in a different direction. Maybe more emphasis on compete and a bit less on upside?

I feel Shero had a more cohesive draft strategy -- all the scouts chiming in on all the players -- while Fitzgerald (perhaps due to the pandemic keeping people out of physical meetings) has less conjunction among the scouts. That's my suspicion, but again it's my subjective opinion and maybe I'm wrong.

I just cannot fathom a dozen guys putting their heads together and coming to the conclusion that: "yeah, Shlaine's the guy we need!" or "Edwards is definitely the best prospect among a group including Farrell, Berard, Vierling, Tullio and Miettinen!" or whatever.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Incidentally, I think if the Devils had their 2nd round pick (Vegas used it on Chayka) my pick would have been RD Aleksi Heimosalmi -- I just love that kid's two-way game. I would have been very tempted to take Chibrikov, Pinelli or Stankoven as well.

I would love to know why Bar was so low on their list when he would be similar to lefties they have picked and are seeing solid development from?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I feel Shero had a more cohesive draft strategy -- all the scouts chiming in on all the players -- while Fitzgerald (perhaps due to the pandemic keeping people out of physical meetings) has less conjunction among the scouts. That's my suspicion, but again it's my subjective opinion and maybe I'm wrong.

I just cannot fathom a dozen guys putting their heads together and coming to the conclusion that: "yeah, Shlaine's the guy we need!" or "Edwards is definitely the best prospect among a group including Farrell, Berard, Vierling, Tullio and Miettinen!" or whatever.

I think the pandemic has made scouting a gigantic pain in the ass and a bit of a crap shoot, and the strategy might just be to go with your gut and take a kid you feel like you know a lot about and feel good about.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I would love to know why Bar was so low on their list when he would be similar to lefties they have picked and are seeing solid development from?

I fail to see why a 6'2-200 RD with very good skates and above-average puck skills would fall below the Devils radar considering their needs. Maybe there was something the scouts specifically soured on? It couldn't be the interview -- everything I heard has this kid as extremely bright and very likable. I'm stumped, to be honest.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
Hang onto all these rankings. In 10 years, you might be like: "I can't believe we ever listened to this guy!" Meanwhile, I'll be drunk in an alleyway, clutching a bottle of rotgut whiskey in one hand and a rubber chicken named after Audrey Hepburn in the other, still crying that I once ranked Valeri Nichushkin over Bo Horvat.
I was sitting there in the arena, watching him slide down to #9, and blam! Gary comes out to a smattering of "Boos" and says, "I think you're gonna like this". I didn't, though I did like Cory, and certainly in hindsight, it was a good "now" trade, until Kovy decided to leave town, and of course the delay of a necessary rebuild. The way Conte was picking, he probably would have picked Shinkaruk, who was a complete bust. Word is that they weren't considering Horvat or Domi.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I was sitting there in the arena, watching him slide down to #9, and blam! Gary comes out to a smattering of "Boos" and says, "I think you're gonna like this". I didn't, though I did like Cory, and certainly in hindsight, it was a good "now" trade, until Kovy decided to leave town, and of course the delay of a necessary rebuild. The way Conte was picking, he probably would have picked Shinkaruk, who was a complete bust. Word is that they weren't considering Horvat or Domi.

I was really hoping Darnell Nurse would slip to us. I love that kid's game. But, prior to the trade I was hoping for Nichushkin, hence the rotgut whiskey and Audrey The Rubber Chicken.

Reactions: nugg

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
Incidentally, I think if the Devils had their 2nd round pick (Vegas used it on Chayka) my pick would have been RD Aleksi Heimosalmi -- I just love that kid's two-way game. I would have been very tempted to take Chibrikov, Pinelli or Stankoven as well.

giphy.gif

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
How Steven Ives Day Two Would Have Looked:
Finally, I’d like to add this — so we can compare the results of the Devils draft team and my own opinions a decade down the line. I’m personally rooting for the Devils here, since I want a cup more than I want to be right.

#68: LW Simon Robertsson
#100: C Red Savage
#129: RD Jack Bar
#164: RW Matvey Petrov
#203: RD Jake Martin
that's with the knowledge of where those players were actually drafted. i am pretty sure you would have drafted jack bar at #68, if you were calling the picks. do the same exercise with your draft board and name the players you would have taken at each spot without the hindsight. this would be more interesting imo.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
that's with the knowledge of where those players were actually drafted. i am pretty sure you would have drafted jack bar at #68, if you were calling the picks. do the same exercise with your draft board and name the players you would have taken at each spot without the hindsight. this would be more interesting imo.

That's a good point.

I actually don't know exactly who I would have drafted at most of these spots, because I'm usually throwing out a bunch of names who I would want all of, haha. It's interesting for me to think what I would do in the heat of the moment if faced with these types of tough decisions.

Bar certainly would be near the top of my list at #68. But I believe my highest ranked undrafted guy at that point was Robertsson. But at 100? I'm pretty sure Bar was my highest ranked remaining player, so yes we can say I probably would have pulled the trigger on him at #100 over Savage.

Until the Devils actually hire me, I don't have to worry about the actual pressure of an actual draft. But we can do another list where I just pick out my highest ranked remaining player at each spot.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
That's a good point.

I actually don't know exactly who I would have drafted at most of these spots, because I'm usually throwing out a bunch of names who I would want all of, haha. It's interesting for me to think what I would do in the heat of the moment if faced with these types of tough decisions.

Bar certainly would be near the top of my list at #68. But I believe my highest ranked undrafted guy at that point was Robertsson. But at 100? I'm pretty sure Bar was my highest ranked remaining player, so yes we can say I probably would have pulled the trigger on him at #100 over Savage.

Until the Devils actually hire me, I don't have to worry about the actual pressure of an actual draft. But we can do another list where I just pick out my highest ranked remaining player at each spot.
you just answered your own doubts and questions.

take the bunch of names you like at each pick, order them in tiers, consider the needs in the devils farm system and the availability of positions and player types in trades, then you will get your picks.

re #68
Prospect Info: - Ives 2021 Draft Final Rankings, Top 96 (3 Rounds)
you had robertsson at #26 and bar at #28. not sure, if they are in different tiers for you. but need and positional value would favor bar. projectability maybe robertsson.

hey, it's not my time. :thumbu:

Last edited:
Reactions: StevenToddIves

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino