WJC: 2021 Austria Roster Talk

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Can't believe Austria doesn't even have their own thread yet - they play tomorrow!

G:
Jakob Brandner, Sebastian Wraneschitz, Leonhard Sommer.

D:
Jacob Pfeffer, Jonas Kutzer, Luis Lindner, Lukas Necesany, Timo Pallierer, Bernhard Posch, Niklas Wetzl, Philipp Wimmer.

F:
Mathias Böhm, Tim Harnisch, Marco Rossi, Senna Peeters, Fabian Hochegger, Marco Kasper, Clemens Krainz, Julian Pauschenwein, Lucas Thaler, Maximilian Theirich, Finn van Ee, Dominik Unterweger, Marlon Tschofen, Leon Wallner.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Where is Kabidjan when he is required? I need someone explaining the potential of this team lol

Reactions: Ginger Papa

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Where is Kabidjan when he is required? I need someone explaining the potential of this team lol
I guess there's not that much hope haha.

Our best two defensemen by far are out due to covid. Thimo Nickl and Kilian Zundel, they probably would have played 25 minutes each or even more if they'd been in. And honestly, they probably should be in, I wish there was a way to quarantine isolated from the bubble and then rejoin. They're both back to training again with their teams.

Lindner and Pfeffer are probably the top defensemen now. Lindner is basically a winger who stands at the blue line. Pfeffer is very sturdy...I expect them to get scored on a lot. Some young American or Russian prospects will really get to fill their highlight reels. Bernhard Posch and Philipp Wimmer is an old pairing from U18. Wimmer has always been talented, he has good tools but he hasn't put it together. Posch is fast and bigger.

Of the forwards, the first line is where it's at. Besides that, I mean, obviously Marco Kasper. I think Mathias Bohm has some talent, could be a good power forward. Wallner could become a solid player as well. Julian Pauschenwein is surprisingly good for someone who came from a club with no development haha. This is a really weak squad even by Austrian standards and covid did not help. That said, like I'm really happy for the players. I know how big an experience this is for them, and how exciting it is for them. Like Senna, what a great call for him. First tournament ever, qualifies for the WJCs, second ever is the WJCs. And Marco Rossi, this may be his last time representing Austria for a while, since NHL availability is super unreliable. So the storylines are good. But this may be one of the weaker teams in the tournament in recent memory, good thing we've already secured a spot next year too haha.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Marco Kasper looks like a really promising young player to me. Has got a great vision already in the age of 16, can read the game extremely well. Plus, smooth hands and the availability to control the puck while being pressured by his opponents. I expect him to have some bright future ahead. No special words needed about Marco Rossi, he has been one of my favourite prospects of the recent time. So strong with the puck and with terrific passing abililites. Fantastic playmaker, upcoming top star in the NHL. Overall, I would say this team Austria looks better than Kazakhstan the last couple of years. Kazakhstan might have a bit more of stickhandling skill, but those Austrians definitely look better consolidated and better fit to play a physical game. They most likely won't make it to the QF, but I expect them to compete with serious grit and enthusiasm.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
FE4D6A91-0B27-4216-B78B-7CF26B85AFC4.jpeg
Merry Christmas

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Thoughts after game 1...

Insofar as there can be standouts in as big of a blowout as that...I mean I thought Wimmer did some nice things. He has good hands, he made some good stick moves in his own end to escape dangerous situations. Some good checks, closeouts. Of course, he's only going to be remembered for the exceptionally dirty and illegal hit that he laid at the very end of the game. He has always been talented, he's a big kid, long and strong, has good hands, has never been able to put it together. He also had a turnover for one goal, but if felt like a good night for him again outside of that brutal last hit which is I think a bad habit that he's picked up recently, in the process of becoming more physical and generally better defensively he's also become dirtier at times. Salzburg has big hopes for him, but he has to prove that he's more than potential.

I thought Posch had a good game. I thought he was super solid defensively and great on the clears. He could carry it out at times too, he just handled himself very well. He reminds me a bit of Patrick Peter. Just a super simple, basic get the job done defenseman.

I thought Bohm had a pretty good game, he came in crashing on the forecheck a couple times, came in hot and created some very harmless but nevertheless existent chances.

Kasper had a 0 +/-, which in this game was a real achievement. He obviously was very upset and frustrated towards the end of it. But I thought his line at least took care of business a little.

Wraneschitz, I mean great play on his part. Hopefully he's not injured. I think this is a good experience for him. For all of them really, because I think they get away with a lot of cute crap in their league that they need to learn doesn't fly in real high-level hockey. And this kind of baptism by fire helps them figure out what parts of their games to work on and which parts to kinda let go of. And for Wraneschitz

I really don't know why we decided not to do what Germany did. Nickl and Zundel are healthy again, I'd rather face the US with 23 dressed skaters and then go the later games with objectively better players, at least give ourselves a chance. But you gotta trust the doctors.

Let's be real. This is going to be a long tournament. But I think, you know, chance in a lifetime for a lot of these players. I think in the moment when the score is rough I'm sure they're not happy, they're upset, but I think they'll look back on this experience, and even many of them in the now, and realize that it's really cool what they have a chance to do.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I really don't know why we decided not to do what Germany did. Nickl and Zundel are healthy again, I'd rather face the US with 23 dressed skaters and then go the later games with objectively better players, at least give ourselves a chance. But you gotta trust the doctors.

Germany didn't decide to play with 14 players so their best players could be available later. Their situation only arose because guys entered the bubble and then tested positive. They could stay in the bubble and once recovered rejoin the team. Like Austria lost Nickl and others Germany lost Reichel, Kinder, and their best goalie who's name I can't spell from memory. Those won't be among the reinforcements they get in a couple days.

There wasn't a choice to bring good covid positive players with them, play short for a couple games and then get good reinforcements, they brought their 25 best non covid positive players and then found out 9 of them were covid positive after they entered the bubble. Those are the 9 that might come back. The same could have happened to Austria in theory but not with Nickl and others it would have involved guys already there that you played with today. Nickl, like Reichel(GER), Kinder(GER), Beecher(USA), M.Robertson(CAN), Eklund(SWE) among others were no longer options once their positives came back. Which is an entirely different scenario than the 9 Germans currently quarantining in the bubble from post bubble entry positive tests.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Thoughts after game 1...

Insofar as there can be standouts in as big of a blowout as that...I mean I thought Wimmer did some nice things. He has good hands, he made some good stick moves in his own end to escape dangerous situations. Some good checks, closeouts. Of course, he's only going to be remembered for the exceptionally dirty and illegal hit that he laid at the very end of the game. He has always been talented, he's a big kid, long and strong, has good hands, has never been able to put it together. He also had a turnover for one goal, but if felt like a good night for him again outside of that brutal last hit which is I think a bad habit that he's picked up recently, in the process of becoming more physical and generally better defensively he's also become dirtier at times. Salzburg has big hopes for him, but he has to prove that he's more than potential.

I thought Posch had a good game. I thought he was super solid defensively and great on the clears. He could carry it out at times too, he just handled himself very well. He reminds me a bit of Patrick Peter. Just a super simple, basic get the job done defenseman.

I thought Bohm had a pretty good game, he came in crashing on the forecheck a couple times, came in hot and created some very harmless but nevertheless existent chances.

Kasper had a 0 +/-, which in this game was a real achievement. He obviously was very upset and frustrated towards the end of it. But I thought his line at least took care of business a little.

Wraneschitz, I mean great play on his part. Hopefully he's not injured. I think this is a good experience for him. For all of them really, because I think they get away with a lot of cute crap in their league that they need to learn doesn't fly in real high-level hockey. And this kind of baptism by fire helps them figure out what parts of their games to work on and which parts to kinda let go of. And for Wraneschitz

Let's be real. This is going to be a long tournament. But I think, you know, chance in a lifetime for a lot of these players. I think in the moment when the score is rough I'm sure they're not happy, they're upset, but I think they'll look back on this experience, and even many of them in the now, and realize that it's really cool what they have a chance to do.
I am in agreement - Wimmer was my player of the game overall. They need to go glass and lob into the NZ more but overall i thought he did some nice things.

You can see my thoughts on the coaching in the game thread.. I am confident i would be better at the helm of Austria and that is no joke..

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Game two

I thought Thaler has done some nifty moves with his hands in both games, a bit more in this one. I'm talking like...maybe 3-4 total. But I noticed nonetheless.

Lindner was good with the stick on defense. He still has a lot of holes in his game, I think looking past those is unhelpful, but he does have a neat stick.

Marco Rossi actually stood out defensively, even more than usual. He did a really good job of staying on the puck.

Tim did Tim things. He will always have that one cute play where he steals the puck on the outside and he's probably the fastest guy on the team in a straight line so it will be there, but I still wasn't blown away with his performance. He's got to be more proactive over 200 feet, not just when there's enough chaos on the neutral zone for him to cut in, and he's got to finish his chances.

Bohm did some good things on the forecheck. Created some pressure, potentially some players.

Marco Kasper had some nice moves but it was very noticeable that when he tried to get cute he got punished for it.

Senna Peeters had one play to the outside that almost turned into a chance. He's got good top speed, I think he drifts a bit too much...he's obviously a class above the rest of the non-Rossi forwards but he needs to show some more flashes.

Players who haven't stood out in the most desirable way...Kutzer and Pallierer have been kinda both thrown around and had other players skate circles around them. Unterweger is not thrown around but is too immobile to contest most plays. Meanwhile, Clemens krainz is a bit slow for this level. Van Ee is too light for this level.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
The worst/hardest part of the tournament should be behind for the kids. Looking forwards to seeing a goal or two scored in couple of games.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The worst/hardest part of the tournament should be behind for the kids. Looking forwards to seeing a goal or two scored in couple of games.
With all due respect to Austrians, I don't think they can look at this tournament like that... If Wraneschitz runs out of steam the remaining two teams would beat them by double digits as well.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Game 3 thoughts

Peeters played well all game. Very good defensively, and then of course the goal offensively, but he was dangerous multiple times. Kasper obviously with the beautiful assist. Rossi made some good plays throughout the game, perhaps could have broken onto the scoresheet with the 2nd assist on the chance Peeters had from Kasper late in the second.

Pfeffer and Lindner actually played very physical this game, Pfeffer maybe less surprising, Lindner was trying to blow people up and that was maybe more surprising. I think Russia didn't play into their advantage against us, which is just sheer brute strength, they were trying to tic tac toe too much. Against the better teams I think they will be more inclined to keep it simple. Nevertheless, you can see clear improvements in Lindner's game with his willingness to engage.

Pallierer continues to be an absolute disaster out there. Wimmer returning couldn't come any sooner. Necesany is hot and cold, he makes some cute plays but makes more mistakes, he's in over his head I would say and glimpses of talent show but not the whole picture. Posch is starting to show some wheels, which I knew he had, at least in a straight line. But his puck-handling and strength isn't holding up as well.

Wallner made a lot of good decisions with the puck. He doesn't have the hands or the speed that other players have, but he is smart enough to keep the puck moving, and industrious enough to try to stay close to it even though he can't always stay on it. Thaler continues with the good stick moves and he also had the one sick shot. He also tried to bulldoze people a couple times, I wouldn't say it worked out well but he didn't get called for it.

Pauschenwein and Bohm have good get, but their footspeed is a bit slow compared to their teammates on higher lines, and all the much more compared to the Russians. The 4th line is in a bit over their head, they look kinda lost out there. Theirich had a nice run. Van Ee is just too frail and slow, Theirich is faster but frailer.

Brandner was fine. But he was clearly not Wraneschitz. With Wraneschitz and Wimmer returning, the game vs. the Czechs should be at least moderately interesting. Or that is what I hope, we will see.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Game 4

Tim put in some nice plays on both ends

I thought Kasper had some nifty moves, and so did Wimmer but Wimmer also got walked a couple times.

A really disastrous game, nothing ever got going offensively, and in the defensive zone the Czechs skated circles uncontested.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It will probably sound harsh but I don't think many people are looking forward to Austria being back next year... Then again, the rest of 1A looks crappy next year as well.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Yeah, I think some of the onus falls on the players tbh. Some players on that team, I spoke to months in advance of the tournament and I told them "according to my projections you will be on that roster, you better get preparing, extra stickhandling drills every day." And I would get like "oh well I already have a lot of practices in the week" or "I'm not sure I'll make the team" and stuff like that. Then you get to the WJC, and sorry, but that drill you neglected to practice at home you're not going to be able to pull off that move in the game against Sweden. I hope that the players go home and have like a little reality check. Because to be honest it looked like they were out there playing a totally different sport from what the Americans, the Russians, the Swedes, the Czechs were playing, for 11 of the 12 periods of hockey that they played. And, forget the NHL, if they want to have careers even playing in the Austrian senior league, they have to go above and beyond the call of duty.

I'm cautiously optimistic that next year's team will be better than this year's. We're losing some players for sure, but I think given how Nickl and Zundel were unable to make it, we should have a better blue line next year than we did this year, albeit potentially a significantly younger blue line, because there aren't any good 02 defensemen. And we might get a deeper group of forwards, though we lose some good talent. And everyone who is returning will be a year older.

Potential new defensemen: Maximilian Preiml, Lucas Horl, Christopher Tialler, David Reinbacher
New forwards: Oskar Maier, Vinzenz Rohrer, David Cernik, Luca Auer

And we'll need to fill it out so I'll be watching Jan Billa, Patrick Bruckner, Stefan Klassek, Leo Raab, Paul Pirklbauer, Simon Reder, Timo Sticha, Nico Kramer

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
Austria was really hit hard with absence of players (weaker the country, more damage it makes).
Maybe @kabidjan18 can help, but there are few questions on the subject, why were some people out:
Zündel and Nickl out because of testing positive and that's understood,
Oskar Maier out because of contact tracing and one I'm not 100% sure,
Urbanek out because he couldn't miss school?! I can't imagine missing school in December would have such crucial influence in these times, but OK.

I find it weird that Kandemir, Beck and Alexander Moser weren't even called up. Maybe I'm judging too much based on stats, but I'd guess they could help.

The final topic I'd like to mention is, how come Mack Stewart was never called up?

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Yeah, missing Oskar Maier hurts.

Missing Urbanek...I wouldn't call it missing. Personally...he's a worse pylon than Pallierer.

I don't really know the deal with Kandemir. He might have helped. He was supposed to be a star, and never really materialized, but he didn't fall off as badly as perhaps is generally perceived. He might have had a prior commitment, I'm not sure. I don't think Beck would have helped, maybe he pushes Brandner for the 2nd goalie position, but I don't think having him as a 2nd goalie instead of Brandner does anything. Moser hasn't played much so perhaps he's injured, I'm not sure it would have made a serious difference either. I'd take him over Wetzl, who missed the tournament due to illness anyways.

Stewart has been on and off trying to get a passport for like...I want to say 4 years now. I'd like to see it happen but I'll believe it when I see it.

Missing Kili and Thimo hurts, not just because it affects the team but because I know they were really looking forward to it...but I think in the long run, the WJC builds for the Senior team, and they've kinda locked up their spots regardless of the WJC, so it certainly sucks in the now, but I think knowing that they're there in the wings is better than if we didn't have them.

If I had to take a blind shot at the roster for next year, using only my personal preferences
Thaler (02) - Kasper (04) - Peeters (02)
Maier (02) - Wallner (02) - Bohm (03)
Cernik (04) - Auer (04) - Lackner (04)
Theirich (03) - Dobnig (04) - Van Ee (03)
Rohrer (04)

Molls (03) - Tialler (03)
Necesany (03) - Erne (04)
Preiml (03) - Horl (03)
Reinbacher (04) - Lindner (03)
Raab (04)

Very young team, and thus probably not a very good team. But I'd rather see a young team than a slightly older team that will be no better but will also learn less from the experience.

Players that might make the team ahead of these: Urbanek, Tschofen, Kieweg, Hammerle, Sunitsch...

One player that is a big question mark but might emerge...we'll see. Ian Scherzer (05), real deal? Hype job? We'll know by December next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: HungryFrank

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
Thank you very much for a detailed answer. How come Luis Ludin isn't part of the national pool?

And I can't help but wonder, what's the deal with Mölls? His stats are average, playing only in U20 league for St. Pölten and I see him on 1st line here, being cut from this year's tournament in last round... since I've never seen him play I won't jump to conclusions.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Thank you very much for a detailed answer. How come Luis Ludin isn't part of the national pool?
Good player. Not Austrian.

And I can't help but wonder, what's the deal with Mölls? His stats are average, playing only in U20 league for St. Pölten and I see him on 1st line here, being cut from this year's tournament in last round... since I've never seen him play I won't jump to conclusions.
It's hard to gauge Okanagan products by stats alone. All the top brass is very high on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00