Rumor: 2021-22 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Part 11: where giroux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Avs definitely need another forward, guess we'll see what happens.

Also, I don't necessarily think it's just Giroux telling the Flyers where he wants to go. The Cats have Owen Tippett to use as a trade chip, and he's definitely more enticing than Justin Barron, and probably about any other prospect the Avs have in the system.
Disagree with you there. I think there is a reason Tippett is available and has been passed over in the Panthers lineup. Besides, Flyers have some pretty good RW prospects coming up already.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ya I'm not too concerned about missing on Giroux. We're not making cap space for no reason.

I honestly think Copp is the better UFA target since he's more suitable for 3C duties as I believe Giroux plays mostly Wing these days, just takes faceoffs like Landy.

Copp is also a Top UFA for me this summer so if we can trade for him and then sign him, even better.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
I just don't understand why he would prefer Florida. The Panthers are awesome no doubt, but the East will be an absolute bloodbath. The fit seems so perfect in Colorado, too. Damn

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I like Copp, but there are two potential problems with him as a target.

Firstly the concussion issues are a serious concern.

And secondly we don't have a 2nd round pick in either of the next two drafts which would be the logical piece to use in addition to a B prospect. A 3rd + Kaut/Ranta/Bowers probably doesn't get it done, and the 2023 1st might be a little bit too expensive.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I just don't understand why he would prefer Florida. The Panthers are awesome no doubt, but the East will be an absolute bloodbath. The fit seems so perfect in Colorado, too. Damn

Probably thinking about it as a trial on if I want to stay around next year. Sounds like he might want to be in Florida longer if he doesn't go back to the Flyers. Doesn't sound like he's interested in staying in Colorado longer than this postseason.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010

Same time zone as his fam, quick flight, wife and kids can vacation in miami

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I like Copp, but there are two potential problems with him as a target.

Firstly the concussion issues are a serious concern.

And secondly we don't have a 2nd round pick in either of the next two drafts which would be the logical piece to use in addition to a B prospect. A 3rd + Kaut/Ranta/Bowers probably doesn't get it done, and the 2023 1st might be a little bit too expensive.

The Jets can include Stastny to even things out. :naughty:

I wonder if Winnipeg's plans will change at the deadline. They're only 2 points out of the final WC spot, with a game in hand.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I feel the same way about Florida’s defensive depth as I do Colorado’s forward depth. Both have high end talent at the top, but thin out quickly.

Florida would be wise to add a top-4 D, especially against some of those eastern conference teams like Tampa and Toronto. Scoring dries up for a few games and it’s game over.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
You must have missed the part where Colorado was Manson's preferred designation and that he would not accept a trade to a team in the East, including Toronto.

Giroux has spent his entire life in the NE US and Eastern Canada, he may have little interest in going to the West.

I mean the star player acquisitions. It's been the same ol' story for every top guy the Avs have been linked to

Reactions: Azrael89

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I feel the same way about Florida’s defensive depth as I do Colorado’s forward depth. Both have high end talent at the top, but thin out quickly.

Florida would be wise to add a top-4 D, especially against some of those eastern conference teams like Tampa and Toronto. Scoring dries up for a few games and it’s game over.

Yep, I’d be thrilled for Giroux if he comes here, but I think adding to the bottom 6 would be just fine. Mack, Mikko, Lando, Kadri, Nuke, Bura…and Newhook has shown he can fit on the 2nd line in case of injury.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The Jets can include Stastny to even things out. :naughty:

I wonder if Winnipeg's plans will change at the deadline. They're only 2 points out of the final WC spot, with a game in hand.

In addition to passing Vegas Winnipeg would need to pass at least one of Nashville, Minnesota, or Dallas as only 5 teams from the Central can make it. Currently they are:

8 points behind Nashville who have 1 game in hand;
6 points behind Minnesota who have 3 games in hand; and
1 point behind Dallas who have 3 games in hand.

It'll be interesting to see how confident they are that they can pass those teams.

1647460551923.png

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah we should all assume that Giroux is going to Florida at this point, and they'll be a f***ing powerhouse. They have 5.3M in cap space, just enough for Giroux at 50% without the need of a 3rd party.

Avs have 3.5M and very limited assets. Not sure Copp is still available nor Sakic is willing to trade Barron or 1st 2023 for a rental.

I still think we go for Kessel at 50% for relatively cheap.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
In addition to passing Vegas Winnipeg would need to pass at least one of Nashville, Minnesota, or Dallas as only 5 teams from the Central can make it. Currently they are:

8 points behind Nashville who have 1 game in hand;
6 points behind Minnesota who have 3 games in hand; and
1 point behind Dallas who have 3 games in hand.

It'll be interesting to see how confident they are that they can pass those teams.

View attachment 516601

Maybe Dallas with no Heiskanen (3L's in a row) will waste their games in hand cushion.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I mean, he's nowhere near his prime anymore but...if he still drives play anything like he used to and the cap worked out, I wouldn't mind the Avs taking a look.
There's nothing left in the tank, he's done.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I mean the star player acquisitions. It's been the same ol' story for every top guy the Avs have been linked to

*Shrug*

As I said before, I really don't think there's any "undesirablility" with Colorado, and "preferred" destination talk is largely exaggerated. Pierre Lacroix would never have been able to trade for and retain talent like he did if it really were that bad.

That said, if Giroux wants to stay back east so that he doesn't have to move his family AND play for a team that's arguably the best in the league, I can't say I blame him.

To me, the Avs didn't get this player or that player because they simply didn't want to pay the price in assets and/or $$$/term. And frankly they may have dodged a bullet in some of those cases. Think if Joe had stayed in on Kevin Hayes we'd all be loving that deal right now?

Reactions: shadow1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad