2021-22 Prospect Development Tracker - Part 3

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Windsor loses in OT, so they're going to game 6. Had a chance to win the series on home ice. Johnston was leading the rush, flipped a pass back over to a teammate and he tried to glove it down and put it in deep but it was poked away and then the Windsor dman tried jumping in and swatting at it but it got knocked away out to center and Sarnia scored on a 2 on 1 going the other way.

Windsor's top players were really dominant in the 3rd and OT, especially Johnston. It's a miracle they didn't score but they were playing pretty risky with their dmen and it was only a matter of time before they'd give up a 2 on 1. Don't generally see teams play as aggressive as Windsor was in playoff OT

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I whole heartedly believe stankoven could help if they called him up for playoffs .

Any one of these guys would likely be an improvement over many of our current roster players tbh

They're already smarter and more skilled than half the forwards (I would say than every forward not on the top line, but there would be some NHL adjusting they'd need to do of course).

One thing that's really worth noting is Stankoven's playoff series he just played was one of the most one-sided series' I've seen. Kamloops just dominated and guys like Stankoven were given so much space and time to work with (not that he really needs it, but it helped). Also helped that Spokane had a 16 year old in net for most of the series cause their starter got injured. It'll be interesting to see how he does in the next series. I'm sure that team won't wanna give him complete freedom like Spokane did. Will probably be similar to how Sarnia is playing against Johnston right now. They're really putting a focus on him

I just hope we at least see a couple of these kids make the NHL next season though. They could possibly really help this teams scoring issues as soon as next season

Last edited:
Reactions: BfantZ

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Stranges finished with 1+1 today. 4+6 through 5 playoff games so far

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Any one of these guys would likely be an improvement over many of our current roster players tbh
Normally I just write this off as typical prospect bias, and I still mostly feel that way...

But it's an interesting question whether our big 3 prospects are in fact ahead of Faksa offensively already, as teenagers. Normally, this is absurd unless they are generational - Faksa has years of NHL experience after all, and grown man strength.

I like Faksa so it's tough for me to single him out like this, but he did have a really awful season offensively compared to his usual substandard self. Like he may have seriously regressed from his 30 point NHL PPG AHL level to the extent that top CHL scorers may possibly catch up.

It's pretty clear to me that our big 3 won't just absolutely light up the AHL right now, not that we would ever find that out because only Bourque can play in the AHL next year. At least AHL PPG is something Faksa has on his resume - but that's quite a bit in the rearview now.

In any case, obviously replacing all our depth with teenage prospects is how cups are won :eyeroll:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Normally I just write this off as typical prospect bias, and I still mostly feel that way...

But it's an interesting question whether our big 3 prospects are in fact ahead of Faksa offensively already, as teenagers. Normally, this is absurd unless they are generational - Faksa has years of NHL experience after all, and grown man strength.

I like Faksa so it's tough for me to single him out like this, but he did have a really awful season offensively compared to his usual substandard self. Like he may have seriously regressed from his 30 point NHL PPG AHL level to the extent that top CHL scorers may possibly catch up.

It's pretty clear to me that our big 3 won't just absolutely light up the AHL right now, not that we would ever find that out because only Bourque can play in the AHL next year. At least AHL PPG is something Faksa has on his resume - but that's quite a bit in the rearview now.

In any case, obviously replacing all our depth with teenage prospects is how cups are won :eyeroll:

These aren't your typical prospects. Replacing Radulov, Kiviranta, Studenic, hell even Gurianov with Johnston or Bourque, barring some epic collapse by those 2 would at the very worst just be a wash. They're high IQ players, something none of those other guys are right now.

Either way, the Stars aren't winning any Cups with this team whether those guys are replaced or not this season.

Reactions: brakeyawself

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017

They're already smarter and more skilled than half the forwards (I would say than every forward not on the top line, but there would be some NHL adjusting they'd need to do of course).

One thing that's really worth noting is Stankoven's playoff series he just played was one of the most one-sided series' I've seen. Kamloops just dominated and guys like Stankoven were given so much space and time to work with (not that he really needs it, but it helped). Also helped that Spokane had a 16 year old in net for most of the series cause their starter got injured. It'll be interesting to see how he does in the next series. I'm sure that team won't wanna give him complete freedom like Spokane did. Will probably be similar to how Sarnia is playing against Johnston right now. They're really putting a focus on him

I just hope we at least see a couple of these kids make the NHL next season though. They could possibly really help this teams scoring issues as soon as next season
Ya it’s hard to say wich one would do best right away , though it seems like stankovens speed has reached another level .Some odd man rushes with him would be inevitable and he has a wild shot . Hard to say much differently about bourque and Johnston but I think stankoven just has a slight edge . Either way I know there’s zero chance anyone plays this year . We’re lucky if Peterson even plays .

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
@Kcb12345

Stankoven is my favorite of the 3 and he has that stylistic similarity to DeBrincat that really strengthens his case as a player who is capable of making the leap at a very young age. But he wouldn't be replacing Kivi or Studenic or those guys. He would be replacing Radulov, and could be an improvement because Radulov is just not in NHL form. He's a pure center through junior though. It's not automatic that he can transition to wing but at the same time I don't see why he would struggle with that at all. He uses the entire rink and attacks weakness though, which is easier to do as a center than a winger on a specific side.

Johnston or Bourque over Kivi/Studenic I'm skeptical of. Those guys aren't terrible at their roles - getting the puck deep, forechecking, facilitating clean line changes, etc. They might fit into that role just fine by coincidence but due to their wildly differing roles in the CHL we don't really have a way to know how well they can adapt to it.

Hockey IQ is a great thing to have but even smart people are dumb until they learn. They might transition more quickly - over 1-2 seasons instead of 5-6 but it doesn't mean everything is just going to click right away. I'm also not entirely sold on Johnston's hockey IQ. I see why he gets the praise but I'm reminded of Cody Eakin who seemed smart at lower levels but wasn't in the NHL. Obviously, Johnston is a very smart player in the CHL and has better chances that nearly all of his contemporaries. Bourque is a guy who has proven to adapt very quickly to different roles and situations. If I had to bet my savings on the IQ of one CHL player it would be him, but even that would make me very unconformable...

tl;dr I have a different opinion and here's why. I still appreciate yours.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Johnston officially wins the CHL scoring title.
Post automatically merged:

We aren’t winning cups anytime soon so who cares

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
@Kcb12345

Stankoven is my favorite of the 3 and he has that stylistic similarity to DeBrincat that really strengthens his case as a player who is capable of making the leap at a very young age. But he wouldn't be replacing Kivi or Studenic or those guys. He would be replacing Radulov, and could be an improvement because Radulov is just not in NHL form. He's a pure center through junior though. It's not automatic that he can transition to wing but at the same time I don't see why he would struggle with that at all. He uses the entire rink and attacks weakness though, which is easier to do as a center than a winger on a specific side.

Johnston or Bourque over Kivi/Studenic I'm skeptical of. Those guys aren't terrible at their roles - getting the puck deep, forechecking, facilitating clean line changes, etc. They might fit into that role just fine by coincidence but due to their wildly differing roles in the CHL we don't really have a way to know how well they can adapt to it.

Hockey IQ is a great thing to have but even smart people are dumb until they learn. They might transition more quickly - over 1-2 seasons instead of 5-6 but it doesn't mean everything is just going to click right away. I'm also not entirely sold on Johnston's hockey IQ. I see why he gets the praise but I'm reminded of Cody Eakin who seemed smart at lower levels but wasn't in the NHL. Obviously, Johnston is a very smart player in the CHL and has better chances that nearly all of his contemporaries. Bourque is a guy who has proven to adapt very quickly to different roles and situations. If I had to bet my savings on the IQ of one CHL player it would be him, but even that would make me very unconformable...

tl;dr I have a different opinion and here's why. I still appreciate yours.

Very curious how much you have seen of Johnston, cause he's just extremely talented in every regard. Also the most complete player of the 3 (although I like Stankoven's hustle more). I'd be looking more at Mitch Marner's game than Cody Eakin's when looking for a comparison.

In the very worst case scenario, you'd be looking at them getting 5-6 minutes a night, which is gonna happen with guys like Kiviranta anyways. There'd be no risk to it really. But it's not gonna happen of course, this is all hypothetical so none of it matters. Also in my hypothetical situation, I didn't mean bringing all 3 in at once. I meant like one player or 2 swapping in for our depth guys could make a difference.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
I didn't mean to make a stylistic comparison with Eakin. I can see how that could be construed from my phrasing.

Eakin is simply an example of a high IQ prospect who turned out to be kind of a fraud. That's where the comparison dies.

As far as my knowledge of Johnston, I'm not talking out of my ass here but I also don't think you have the right idea of my evaluation of him as a prospect. When making comparisons of their current ability to current NHL players, the standards get much much higher. His potential may be absurdly high but that isn't relevant to this particular discussion.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Johnston just scored off the rush after Sarnia turned the puck over

Nice shot

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
If Johnston & Stankoven ever become anything significant at the NHL level, I'm gonna have to snag their CHL jerseys.

Absolutely love Windsor and Kamloops' jerseys. Not sure why

And it's their white jerseys I actually prefer, although Kamloops' blue jersey is really clean too

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
If Johnston & Stankoven ever become anything significant at the NHL level, I'm gonna have to snag their CHL jerseys.

Absolutely love Windsor and Kamloops' jerseys. Not sure why

And it's their white jerseys I actually prefer, although Kamloops' blue jersey is really clean too

Just don't get that God-awful Windsor black jersey with black numbers. I only saw it one game, but I remember they mentioned they had several alternates this year. That game was unwatchable because you could not tell who anyone was.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Just don't get that God-awful Windsor black jersey with black numbers. I only saw it one game, but I remember they mentioned they had several alternates this year. That game was unwatchable because you could not tell who anyone was.

Yeah I remember that, definitely wouldn't be the one I'd get. The white jersey with red numbers is the way to go

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Johnston's goal stands as the game-winner to win the series for Windsor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad