Injury Report: 2021/22 Injury Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
So then JB was right to keep Byram and EJ out of the VGK series, is that right? FTR, I think the organization and the coach should always protect the players’ health first and foremost. Even over playing for the SC.
Agree, and the shade thrown at Bednar for not playing Byram was ridiculous given no one had any insight into Bryam's condition whatsoever.

avsfan2189

Jun 22, 2019
can anyone give any insights to the article on how Bo's feeling currently with his current concussion? any quotes?

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
can anyone give any insights to the article on how Bo's feeling currently with his current concussion? any quotes?
"Byram felt great the morning after absorbing Horvat’s elbow, and he skated with the team, laughing between drills like normal. But concussions are cruel and unpredictable. The next day, this past Saturday, he woke up feeling not well. By Monday, the team had put him back in concussion protocol.
“That’s not something you ever want to see,” teammate Andre Burakovsky says.
Bednar doesn’t have a return timeline, and how could he? He said this week that Byram is out until he feels better. Then, once again, he can begin the process of easing himself back into action.
Given the injury and Byram’s history, it’s unclear when that will come."

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
He’d never suffered a serious injury before the 2020-21 season, but in his first full year as an NHL player, he’s dealt with multiple concussions, vertigo and COVID-19, all of which have limited him to only 30 games.

Then came the concussions. Byram doesn’t know what caused the first one, which he sustained in a late-February game against Arizona. He just woke up the next morning not feeling right.

So he's had 3 concussions in less than a year, and less than 30 games played.

That's not good at all.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
So he's had 3 concussions in less than a year, and less than 30 games played.

That's not good at all.

Yup, that article confirmed the first, more minor, concussion. Apparently Byram didn't even know how he got it.

Byram is averaging one concussion per 10 games. Excuse me while I go jump off a bridge.

avsfan2189

Jun 22, 2019
"Byram felt great the morning after absorbing Horvat’s elbow, and he skated with the team, laughing between drills like normal. But concussions are cruel and unpredictable. The next day, this past Saturday, he woke up feeling not well. By Monday, the team had put him back in concussion protocol.
“That’s not something you ever want to see,” teammate Andre Burakovsky says.
Bednar doesn’t have a return timeline, and how could he? He said this week that Byram is out until he feels better. Then, once again, he can begin the process of easing himself back into action.
Given the injury and Byram’s history, it’s unclear when that will come."
thank you,

that's not great news, but hopefully he comes back it's shown it's possible ala Crosby

Reactions: RECKLESS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Byram has more talent in his pinky toe than Nolan Patrick. Not really comparable imo.

Is Peter Mueller a better comp then?

Concussions are scary and the numbers Byram has had are scary enough... most worrisome to me is how bad they symptoms have been after each instance. Each knock to the melon causing him to be out for weeks is very concerning for his future health.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Nothing's a given with Byram; he could be back in a short time and begin a long stretch of uninterrupted hockey at his best.

Remaining hopeful a kid who has been through far too much early in his career. Frustrated for him.

The injury situation as a whole is sinking my interest in watching the games, as well. It all seems quite unnatural. Bring in the occultist, I say. Need someone who can get to the bottom of this sorcery

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
This whole injury thing (not just Bo but everybody) takes a lot of the enjoyment/excitement from this season for me.

Sad that our window seems to be during covid years and also mired in injuries.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
Nothing's a given with Byram; he could be back in a short time and begin a long stretch of uninterrupted hockey at his best.

Remaining hopeful a kid who has been through far too much early in his career. Frustrated for him.

The injury situation as a whole is sinking my interest in watching the games, as well. It all seems quite unnatural. Bring in the occultist, I say. Need someone who can get to the bottom of this sorcery

I think it’s pretty simple. Some of it is bad luck, but I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that this is a small and soft team. I look at the Vegas series, the Dallas series and even the St. Louis series and Colorado just has a real hard time playing against those bigger teams, and those bigger teams know they can take liberties with the Avs lineup.

Reactions: nightonthesun

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yikes that article is awful. It also sort of confirms he was partly held out of playoffs last year over health concerns and that it was probably justified because his symptoms still lingered right on through into the Summer.

Honestly that article just killed any confidence I had in him being able to stay healthy. 3 Concussions in less then a year for a 19/20 year old is beyond dangerous. At this point I'd say its far worse then what Timmins dealt with as well.

Very likely going to come a time possibly sooner then later where it starts to become a decision about playing hockey or just focusing on living a quality life. f*** concussions man.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Didn't that migraine disorder stem from a concussion?

I believe so but I haven't read on the details. If I recall Charlie O'Connor's tweets about the subject, he didn't think it was hockey-related at all (I'll admit I find that a bit odd given his past concussion history but there you have it).

I'm reading Baugh's latest for The Athletic. Turns out, Byram had a setback this offseason trying to work out, so maybe in hindsight it wouldn't have been a good idea to play him in the Vegas series. Still doesn't justify keeping goddamn Nemeth in there, but there you have it.

Also, COVID somehow intensified the PCS symptoms, which makes sense as the disease can attack the nervous system. This poor kid's just not getting any luck.

This is where I'd probably swap out one of Megna or Sherwood for MacDermid. Make a statement and have him level Horvat. If he's not here to deliver that kind of message, then why the f*** did Sakic go out and get him???

tshack

Apr 27, 2014
The worst part is that he visibly and thoroughly loves hockey and the only thing holding him back is his brain. What a horrible, shitty feeling to know you have no control over it. Maybe Mack can get him in touch with whoever helped Crosby. Glad to hear he has a pretty strong support system with his family at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad