Post-Game Talk: 2021-22 Carolina Hurricanes Regular Season Retrospective

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
All in all it was an awesome regular season. The 9-0-0 start, the balanced scoring, the strong goaltending that got us the Jennings, a few amazing comebacks in different fashions (down 4 goals to CBJ and down 2 to NJ w/ 4 minutes left). Winning at Boston and MSG twice in the same season, two buildings that haven't been kind to this Hockey club. A +76 goal differential, 54 wins, 116 points, 45 regulation wins, +36 goal differential in the 3rd period, all franchise records. I think they also set the record for most road wins too, I know the 18-19 team won a lot on the road.

Not a great month of March or a good start to April but they overcame that as good teams do and thought it wasn't pretty they rallied off 6 straight wins to end the year. Still got some guys banged up but really ever since Bill Burniston took over as S&C coach I swear it seems we have fewer and fewer nagging injuries on this team, another positive to what's been a complete revamp of this franchise ever since Dundon got involved.

A few tidbits from me, I thought we'd be worse off short-term w/o Dougie and TDA filled in nicely. Getting Derek Stepan was money in the bank, what a great guy to have on the roster. Ethan Bear has his ups and downs, he didn't play well for a while after Covid but I like his ability to keep the puck in the zone, he can also provide some offense once in a blue moon. I'm a fan of Chatfield and am happy they kept him, would have liked to see him a little more but maybe he'll get a better shot next season. Other guys like Cole and Smith were nice finds overall. Domi was a nice add at the deadline w/o giving up a roster player. I've already mentioned the goaltending but wow, that was unexpected but I'm damn happy for it.

I'm ready for a great playoff run and would like to see a 2006-style ending. I hope the team is as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad