Post-Game Talk: 2021-22 Carolina Hurricanes Regular Season Retrospective

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Welp, a year that started with a few question marks finished with a lot of answers.

Won the Metropolitan Division and finished with the highest win total and points total in franchise history, surpassing the marks set by the 2005-06 campaign. Freddie Andersen and Antti Raanta combined for the fewest goals against in the league, earning the franchise their first Jennings Trophy. And, interestingly enough, they become the first goaltending pair to win the Jennings in their first year with a team.

As for the players, Svechnikov appears to have broken out this year. Finished with 69 points, but became a physical offensive playmaking force over the second half of the year, capable of single handedly taking a game over. Jarvis, after forcing the team to keep him in the NHL after a solid preseason finished with 40 points over 68 games in his rookie year. Massive numbers for the kid, and he's quickly establishing himself as one of the best pure scorers within the organization. And despite having a little bit of a slump toward the end, Sebastian Aho still managed to finish the year with an impressive 81 points. And to highlight just how deep this roster goes, we had 5 players (Aho, Svechnikov, Teravainen, Trocheck, and DeAngelo) score 50 points and another 4 (Neiderriter, Slavin, Jarvis, and Necas) score 40, with Skjei just missing out with 39.

In net, what can you say that the Jennings Trophy doesn't already tell you. Lowest Goals Against in the league over 82 games, and just missed out on being the first franchise to allow fewer than 200 goals over the course of a season. (and lets be honest, without a desperate stretch where covid forced us to move Lafontaine straight from the NCAA to NHL, giving up 9 goals in 2 starts, we would have done so.) With this said, even with the stellar play of Freddie and Raanta, its fitting that a team as young as the Canes solidified the Metro title on the back of a goalie phenom, Pyotr Kochetkov, the goalie of what appears to be the very near future playing like he wants to be the goalie of the here and now.

As for some off the ice issues, lets first start with Tripper. Unfortunate ending to an otherwise great season, I know I speak for everyone when I say we just wish him the best and for him to do whatever it takes to get past what he's dealing with now and we can't wait to see him back next year. Dig In and get well, bud. Moving on, we finally got confirmation, and the Stadium Series is set for February 18th, 2023 against the Washington Capitals. Should be an excellent event for the Raleigh market and I cannot wait to see what the team has in store. Possibly related to that, the team also experimented with the uniform set by wearing black pants and gloves both home and away about a month ago, to mixed reactions. Personally, I liked it, I thought it tied the uniform set up well, especially on the home reds, which actually made the trim pattern flow very well into the pants. I actually just found this video which sums up my thoughts well. Only thing I'll say is that if we do the black with the aways, change the numbers back to black as well. Either way, apparently they were doing this for a potential Stadium Series look next year, but I have my doubts there, I wouldn't be surprised if we're changing up our look permanently in the future.

Anyway, what a great season. And not to mention, this is the first full season completion we've had since the 2018-19 playoff run. Thanks for nothing, COVID.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Things answered:
Regular season goal tending
TDA can toe the line
Svech taking the next step
Canes can play physical

Things not answered:
2LW
Necas taking the next step
Power play. Good early, very stale form the All-star break on.

Wait and see:
Post season goal tending
post season scoring

edit: I think Jarvis saved the top 6 for the team this season. Jarvis didnt have the greatest of point totals 40, he only averaged 14 minutes a game. Adding 40 points on an ELC really helped as we could have been short a 2LW and a 2RW.

Last edited:

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Things answered:
Regular season goal tending
TDA can toe the line
Svech taking the next step
Canes can play physical

Things not answered:
2LW
Necas taking the next step
Power play. Good early, very stale form the All-star break on.

Wait and see:
Post season goal tending
post season scoring

edit: I think Jarvis saved the top 6 for the team this season. Jarvis didnt have the greatest of point totals 40, he only averaged 14 minutes a game. Adding 40 points on an ELC really helped as we could have been short a 2LW and a 2RW.
one game sample but....I was encouraged by Necas' play last night. Let's hope it is the start of a nice playoff!!!

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
If as we talked about in the gdt the red jerseys are going to be retired i imagine they move the black ones to full time and hopefully make a white version for the aways. I've never liked the diagonals and if we are moving away from red with some black to black with some red that could look really cool but I don't think the current whites match nearly close enough to the blacks.

Is there any rule about teams having to have the same color pants for homes and aways? I know the alternates make it kind of moot but I'm pretty sure all nhl teams have their standard home and aways use the same pants

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
and just missed out on being the first franchise to allow fewer than 200 goals over the course of a season. (and lets be honest, without a desperate stretch where covid forced us to move Lafontaine straight from the NCAA to NHL, giving up 9 goals in 2 starts, we would have done so.)
Huh? Pretty sure this has happened multiple times. Looks like the record for least # of goals allowed over the course of 82 games was the 2011-12 St. Louis Blues with 155 allowed in 82 games... Do you mean first time in franchise history?

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
If as we talked about in the gdt the red jerseys are going to be retired i imagine they move the black ones to full time and hopefully make a white version for the aways. I've never liked the diagonals and if we are moving away from red with some black to black with some red that could look really cool but I don't think the current whites match nearly close enough to the blacks.

Is there any rule about teams having to have the same color pants for homes and aways? I know the alternates make it kind of moot but I'm pretty sure all nhl teams have their standard home and aways use the same pants
I want us to keep the white away jerseys we currently have but wear the black pants with them regularly. And yes make the current black jerseys our main home jersey.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
If only this would mean people could learn not to freak out when a very good team hits the occasional doldrums of an 82 game season.
Why in the hell would we ever do that? :sarcasm:

Seriously, the whipsaw effect from wins and losses is not unique to F26. And it's part of the enjoyment that we collectively share - frustrations, joy, depression, and elation.

Reactions: cptjeff

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Why in the hell would we ever do that? :sarcasm:

Seriously, the whipsaw effect from wins and losses is not unique to F26. And it's part of the enjoyment that we collectively share - frustrations, joy, depression, and elation.
It's a long season. I just try to pace myself for the times when the freak outs are a little more justified.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Ew no thank you. Theyd have to change the letters and stripes to have a lot more black. It looked out of place when they did it before
the letters can remain red, but the numbers would need to shift back to the black/silver ones we had in 2018-19. Personally, I think it would be a good look for us going forward. And I'll say it now, the black pants and gloves actually work really well with our home reds, and really helps the pattern on the hem work to the extent that it looks like it should have been like that all along.

ca-times.brightspotcdn.jpg

It just helps the flag stripe stand out more, at least in my opinion

1240312149.0.jpg

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Yeah, I did like them with the homes, but they just looked generic, bland, mismatched, and just bad with the whites.

If they're dead set on going with one pair of pants, I hope it'll be the reds, and going with the reds on the black jerseys. The whites look a lot better that way, the reds look fine, and the blacks look pretty cool with the red, a look the Junior Canes wear a lot:

266755189_3132784266958863_9114595048173546145_n-1-1024x744.jpg

984934A6-3790-46F9-BDEC-18A3A0FFE55E-1-1024x493.jpg

1651262404124.png

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Yeah, I did like them with the homes, but they just looked generic, bland, mismatched, and just bad with the whites.

If they're dead set on going with one pair of pants, I hope it'll be the reds, and going with the reds on the black jerseys. The whites look a lot better that way, the reds look fine, and the blacks look pretty cool with the red, a look the Junior Canes wear a lot:

266755189_3132784266958863_9114595048173546145_n-1-1024x744.jpg

984934A6-3790-46F9-BDEC-18A3A0FFE55E-1-1024x493.jpg

View attachment 537749
I think the problem with the whites is that it just didn't go with the base design. The red dominance of the numbers, stripes, and logos didn't work with the black pants, and the black gloves didn't look right, either. Which is why I said, if they were going to do that again, then flip the numbers. It would help balance the red and black overall. But I could really take it or leave it with those. I'm not a huge fan of that jersey anyway, I would have preferred the alternate logo on the front rather than the wordmark, and I think that would actually look better with the black pants and numbers. I would probably go white gloves trimmed in red and black with that, though, and keep the white helmet.

As for the Jr Canes look, I don't hate it, but I don't like it as much as the standard alts because it visually eliminates the hem stripe. If they were going to do something like this, I would prefer some more detail on the waist stripe to make it stand out a bit more, otherwise it turns bland in a hurry. That's why I like the black pants with the reds, because it actually makes the the flag stripe stand out a bit more, IMHO.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
The 2021–2022 Canes look like a very good team that can't break hearts and/or crush souls. Hope I'm wrong.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Since I was the one who brought it up, I'll pass along what I've heard:

The reds are being done away with. Dundon doesn't like them. We experimented with a couple looks earlier in the month to try and find something that works, but it sounds like they're being retired.

The blacks will be the new home jersey and the whites are the away. No word on which logo will be on each.

Our alternate jersey will be 25th anniversary jerseys. No idea about the color.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Since I was the one who brought it up, I'll pass along what I've heard:

The reds are being done away with. Dundon doesn't like them. We experimented with a couple looks earlier in the month to try and find something that works, but it sounds like they're being retired.

The blacks will be the new home jersey and the whites are the away. No word on which logo will be on each.

Our alternate jersey will be 25th anniversary jerseys. No idea about the color.
Im bummed because I think the reds are the best of our current set. I could get behind a white version of the flag jersey but I think just keeping the current whites but moving to black pants would be a mistake

Reactions: CandyCanes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad