Speculation: 2021-21 LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster discussion part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
none but we also need a vet like Edler with all these young pups.

Absolutely but if it's Edler Anderson Bjornfot Clague there's no use for maatta and youth can rotate through and learn

the comment i quoted was basically suggesting clague would be a victim of defensive depth anyway but the LHD behind him are Moverare (longshot), Nousianen (longshot/years away) , Kirsanov (Russian lol) and Meehan/Doyle (years away)

So with Maatta and Wolanin UFA and Clague gone its Edler Anderson Bjornfot for next year thus far, an even dumber example as it's even weaker than going into this year

Honestly it's like the harder people look to justify it the more holes i find in the move, it's hilarious that it actually looks worse and worse

Reactions: funky

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Absolutely but if it's Edler Anderson Bjornfot Clague there's no use for maatta and youth can rotate through and learn

the comment i quoted was basically suggesting clague would be a victim of defensive depth anyway but the LHD behind him are Moverare (longshot), Nousianen (longshot/years away) , Kirsanov (Russian lol) and Meehan/Doyle (years away)

So with Maatta and Wolanin UFA and Clague gone its Edler Anderson Bjornfot for next year thus far, an even dumber example as it's even weaker than going into this year

Honestly it's like the harder people look to justify it the more holes i find in the move, it's hilarious that it actually looks worse and worse

i just hope they have something in mind to address the left shot Dman on the top pairing.

Do they see something more in Wolanin then we see? Bring him back, drop Clague?

Not the biggest Clague fan but to have a guy on the cheap that can step in and out of the lineup and play both sides is a nice safety blanket.

As for Maatta, no idea why he is in the team. The false sense of size? Big wigs are not allowing Blake to eat any more salary after Phaneuf, Kovy etc.

Nothing makes sense right now.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
No one that I know of who knows the Kings history wanted Blake - on top of him being a traitorous POS.. he also hasnt accomplished anything on his own - every hockey mgt gig he's had was a buddy system gift either from 99 or King affiliations. The only hope I had was some of DL rubbed off on his thinking (what little there is of it).. e.g. build from the middle out, make your AHL team run the same schemes as the big club. Have your core grow together and develop. Treat players fairly and find them a new home if they dont fit. DL made quite a few mistakes from 2015 on, but his basic organizational philosophy was very coherent and was the main reason the Kings got 2 cups.I do not think Box of Rocks Blake has any of that mojo.

Reactions: Axl Rhoadz

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
It’s more like 2005-06 around here. DT’s a genius, can’t wait for Moller and Gleason to be first line players. Brought in a solid vets like Roenick, Demitra and Conroy to shelter the kids and make the team a playoff contender.

Uh, a bit of revisionist fail here. I think you would be hard-pressed to find anyone who thought DT was a genius in 05-06, seeing how he was fired at the end of that season. Those seasons around here were filled with vitriol spewed at Leiweke, everyone was clamoring for a full rebuild.

Not sure why we would call DT a genius for drafting Moller anyway since DL drafted him. And no one ever thought of him as a first liner, nor Gleason for that matter. Not even close. I remember very few wanting Roenick for certain, and no one thought any of those moves made them a playoff team. This place was rife with black-hole bitching around that time, and rightly so.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Olli maatta WAS on the pens with former Blake favorite Jussi Jokinen as well as Christian Errorhoff and Hagelin and is represented by JP Barry who has 5 players with the Kings, tied for his most in the league. Just in case you were curious of the nepotis errrrr connections

Well there's a plot twist I didn't see coming. :eek:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Matta has deadline trade written all over him.

It would have been nice getting something for Clague, but it wouldn't have been much. He's been improving and I would have liked to see what he will become, but he was a late-bloomer and ran out of runway I guess.

A 7th or futures at best, most likely futures. You get 4/5th picks for established nhlers, not a fringe guy with 33 games played. Then again, why would a team trade for him when he's been waived before, and may get him for free.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
It’s more like 2005-06 around here. DT’s a genius, can’t wait for Moller and Gleason to be first line players. Brought in a solid vets like Roenick, Demitra and Conroy to shelter the kids and make the team a playoff contender.

don't forget that one guy who they said was a top sixer, when everyone knew he wasn't, including him. :laugh:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Well there's a plot twist I didn't see coming. :eek:

Maybe but why telegraph such a need? And why open a bigger hole when we dont' even know what our other prospects are yet?

I'm worried we're going to see Turcotte/Vilardi go for some mediocre LHD, no way in hell he pursues Byram or anyone of that ilk, they wouldn't be available because their franchises aren't as flippant with their prospects

Reactions: kinghock

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

From what eventually came out, those 3 were the ones who divided the room. Norstrom lost control and could never get it back, especially the 2nd half of the season. Things were pretty ugly in there, and Avery for once wasn't one of the problems.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Maybe but why telegraph such a need? And why open a bigger hole when we dont' even know what our other prospects are yet?

I'm worried we're going to see Turcotte/Vilardi go for some mediocre LHD, no way in hell he pursues Byram or anyone of that ilk, they wouldn't be available because their franchises aren't as flippant with their prospects

we don't need to telegraph it at all, every team that scouts us sees it. Hell, I bet they all have books on each other. I think we have 1 goal from the left side this season. As for any trade, I think we'd have already seen that kind of move by now. Make what you want of Blake, but he' doesn't seem as reckless or impulsive as DL with picks and prospect [aside from the waiving part].

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

The youth can rotate through? Isn't that the exact opposite of what people have been saying? Assuming Edler plays every game, when do you sit one of the other guys? The first time they make a mistake? Let him play at least another game, and leave the other guy to do nothing in the press box?

They shouldn't have brought Edler in. No room for him. They're not paying Maatta in the AHL. It's already surprising they sent Wagner down, they're not going to pay $3m for some guy to go to the minors. Had Clague been great, they likely send Anderson down or whatever with the no waivers thing.

Danault, Arvidsson, AA, none of them should be here either. They're all blocking guys.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
A 7th or futures at best, most likely futures. You get 4/5th picks for established nhlers, not a fringe guy with 33 games played. Then again, why would a team trade for him when he's been waived before, and may get him for free.

So a deadline deal to a contender probably means they are up against the cap and we retain a large portion of the salary making him a decent deal for depth.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
The youth can rotate through? Isn't that the exact opposite of what people have been saying? Assuming Edler plays every game, when do you sit one of the other guys? The first time they make a mistake? Let him play at least another game, and leave the other guy to do nothing in the press box?

They shouldn't have brought Edler in. No room for him. They're not paying Maatta in the AHL. It's already surprising they sent Wagner down, they're not going to pay $3m for some guy to go to the minors. Had Clague been great, they likely send Anderson down or whatever with the no waivers thing.

Danault, Arvidsson, AA, none of them should be here either. They're all blocking guys.
Who exactly are those three guys blocking? None of the young guys have shown enough that they should be replacing any of those three

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Who exactly are those three guys blocking? None of the young guys have shown enough that they should be replacing any of those three

My opinion is that, if you give a coach, basically any coach, a veteran option, he will use him instead of a young guy. If people want Kaliyev in the top 6 so that he's not learning a checker's game, then you can't bring in Arvidsson, or re-sign AA(which a lot of people didn't want anyway). If you want Turcotte, or JAD, or any other young C to play, you can't bring in Danault on top of already having Kopitar. You can't re-sign Lizotte either, which like AA, a lot of people didn't want anyway. Especially Lizotte, who is clearly a coach's dream. All he has is hard work. Want Clague, can't bring in Edler on top of Maatta.

Because the Kings are still losing, still a below .500 team in regulation, I don't think the young guys not showing enough is going to quiet complaints. And I get the sentiment, and it's not just a Kings thing, because this is the case with every fan base in similar situations, since time began, but there are only so many spots on a roster. Most teams will not send expensive 1 way contracts to the minors. Maybe if they're in a contending situation. Any ownership shouldn't care about a couple extra bucks being wasted, but the system is designed to not send overpaid crap to the AHL.

Say Maatta gets waived, he obviously won't get claimed, then goes down to Ontario. You don't want him playing there either, because that's even more useless than him playing in the NHL. Ownership is supposed to eat $3m? They already have Frk and Wagner taking precious seconds away from someone with a possible future in the NHL. Not to mention Tynan, Sutter, Johnson, and Burke. Just tell Maatta to go hang at home? That happened with Scuderi, but that's not normal.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Say Maatta gets waived, he obviously won't get claimed, then goes down to Ontario. You don't want him playing there either, because that's even more useless than him playing in the NHL. Ownership is supposed to eat $3m? They already have Frk and Wagner taking precious seconds away from someone with a possible future in the NHL. Not to mention Tynan, Sutter, Johnson, and Burke. Just tell Maatta to go hang at home? That happened with Scuderi, but that's not normal.
This has already been discussed, Maatta can go down and take Markus Phillips minutes and nobody would care. Phillips is routinely the worst player in a Reign jersey , is never going to be an NHL player, and is not long for the organization

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
This has already been discussed, Maatta can go down and take Markus Phillips minutes and nobody would care. Phillips is routinely the worst player in a Reign jersey , is never going to be an NHL player, and is not long for the organization

Doesn't change the $3m salary fact. There's a reason there are 1 and 2 way contracts, and that the vast majority of the 1 way ones are on NHL rosters.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
My opinion is that, if you give a coach, basically any coach, a veteran option, he will use him instead of a young guy. If people want Kaliyev in the top 6 so that he's not learning a checker's game, then you can't bring in Arvidsson, or re-sign AA(which a lot of people didn't want anyway). If you want Turcotte, or JAD, or any other young C to play, you can't bring in Danault on top of already having Kopitar. You can't re-sign Lizotte either, which like AA, a lot of people didn't want anyway. Especially Lizotte, who is clearly a coach's dream. All he has is hard work. Want Clague, can't bring in Edler on top of Maatta.

Because the Kings are still losing, still a below .500 team in regulation, I don't think the young guys not showing enough is going to quiet complaints. And I get the sentiment, and it's not just a Kings thing, because this is the case with every fan base in similar situations, since time began, but there are only so many spots on a roster. Most teams will not send expensive 1 way contracts to the minors. Maybe if they're in a contending situation. Any ownership shouldn't care about a couple extra bucks being wasted, but the system is designed to not send overpaid crap to the AHL.

So basically the young guys that aren't ready for those spots should get them? Arvidsson is signed for three years and AA is signed for one. Neither of them is blocking Kaliyev. Let him cut his teeth playing third line minutes and learn to play in the NHL and let him force those guys down the line up. Danault can be slotted down as one of the younger guys show they're ready to handle second line minutes successfully. He was brought in to take the defensive pressure of Kopitar and free him up. Lizotte plays a different style game than either JAD or Turcotte and he's only signed for one year. Do you honestly expect JAD or Turcotte to fill those roles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad