2020 University Cup (Halifax, NS)

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Looking at the ticket availability online, gotta hope for some huge walk-up crowds. Acadia seems to have reserved 3 sections as hosts, but very few passes sold otherwise with tons of empty seats. My buddies and I did our part as our 5 tournament passes just came in mail.

I got my package last week. Couldn't have asked for a much better seat.

It is still early though. Most of the seats will be sold as walk-ups for sure. Thursday might be a little small but Friday night should be a good turnout. Between the 5000-7000 range.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Looks like the weather should be decent...some rain in the forecast, but temperatures look pretty good...so that should hopefully help attendance numbers.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Looking at the ticket availability online, gotta hope for some huge walk-up crowds. Acadia seems to have reserved 3 sections as hosts, but very few passes sold otherwise with tons of empty seats. My buddies and I did our part as our 5 tournament passes just came in mail.
Apparently single game tickets go on sale today. I suspect that should boost sales for the Nova Scotia games.

Reactions: Rob

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Tournament Update

Seeding & Schedule
The seedings and schedule were announced on Sunday night. With Acadia seeded as #5 (as most of us expected as the next best team not to be a Conference Champion) and electing to play Friday night - the 4-5 game is Friday night. It also means the other game from the top-half of the draw, 1-8 is Friday afternoon between UNB and UBC.

The bottom-half of the draw, 2-7 & 3-6 will be Thursday with the committee placing #6 SMU in the evening game vs #3 OUA Champion Guelph for obvious reasons (bums in seats) . The afternoon game will be #2 USask vs OUA Bronze #7 Western.

Thursday
Afternoon (2pm AST) - #2 USask vs #7 Western
Evening (7pm AST) - #3 Guelph vs #6 SMU

Friday
Afternoon (2pm AST) - #1 UNB vs #8 UBC
Evening (7pm AST) - #4 Ottawa vs #5 Acadia

Interesting that both CW teams, by dumb luck, are both playing in the afternoon. For USask, 2pm AST is 11am CST while for UBC it is 10am PST.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Speaking of attendance I was reading about the Carleton Ravens men’s basketball team winning another title. Despite the game being held in Ottawa (TD Place) the attendance was only 4200.

University football remain the most popular attendance wise.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Speaking of attendance I was reading about the Carleton Ravens men’s basketball team winning another title. Despite the game being held in Ottawa (TD Place) the attendance was only 4200.

University football remain the most popular attendance wise.
AUS Finals, between UNB and Acadia drew approx 8,500 spectators, including 2 sell outs.

Reactions: Prov1X

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
Or, on an opposite note, will people stay away because of Coronavirus fears? In a crown of 8-9000 I'm sure at least ONE person may be infected. Perhaps I'm the one?????
Yeah!! you'll have to wear a mask, I suggest your old NBCD job, if you don't have one,get your ass to Ron's army/ navy, and you'll have to perform your official tournament duties by yourself in a secured room! woohoo! box seat! ( maybe you'll get a press box seat anyway?)

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
I see that UBC practiced today, on the SMU campus.

Too bad they didn't get to experience the charms of the old Alumni arena.

Or, on an opposite note, will people stay away because of Coronavirus fears? In a crown of 8-9000 I'm sure at least ONE person may be infected. Perhaps I'm the one?????

Thanks for reminding us to stay away from you this weekend. Unless you're buying the pops. Haha

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
What’s the parking situation around the rink? Last time I stayed within walking distance, but I’ll be driving in this time. Don’t really want to spend 20 minutes driving around looking for parking, so the easiest/quickest spot would be ideal.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Stauffer Predictions:

SASK 3-Western 1 (Sask not offensively gifted)
SMU 5-Guelph 3 (Always take an AUS team over an OUA team!)
UNB 8-UBC 1 (UNB will attack the net, and not play perimeter like Alberta's skill guys did. Don't forget Alberta beat UBC 6-1 in Game 2...and outshot UBC 94-36 combined in the 2 losses)
Acadia 6-Ottawa 2 (see above)

SASK 3-SMU 2
UNB 5-Acadia 1

UNB 5-SASK 1 (Sask can't match UNB's offence)

UNB walks this thing!

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
What’s the parking situation around the rink? Last time I stayed within walking distance, but I’ll be driving in this time. Don’t really want to spend 20 minutes driving around looking for parking, so the easiest/quickest spot would be ideal.

Where are you staying in town?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Stauffer Predictions:

UNB 8-UBC 1 (UNB will attack the net, and not play perimeter like Alberta's skill guys did. Don't forget Alberta beat UBC 6-1 in Game 2...and outshot UBC 94-36 combined in the 2 losses)

SASK 3-SMU 2
UNB 5-Acadia 1

UNB walks this thing!

I would be shocked if UNB outscores the opposition 18-3.

Reactions: Tim Wakefield

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
With family out in Middle Sackville. Is there a parking garage near the rink?

There is one nearby. Scotia Square Parkade. Google it

But, you may be better off traffic wise to park at the Dartmouth ferry terminal, take the ferry to Halifax for the game(s) and then back to Dartmouth. Less traffic than going to downtown Halifax.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Stauffer Predictions:

SASK 3-SMU 2
UNB 5-Acadia 1

UNB walks this thing!

UNB's biggest obstacle is Acadia. They would play them Saturday night. If the game goes into OT the Reds might be pretty tired for Sunday.
Favorites but I'm not saying it is a walk.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
There is one nearby. Scotia Square Parkade. Google it

But, you may be better off traffic wise to park at the Dartmouth ferry terminal, take the ferry to Halifax for the game(s) and then back to Dartmouth. Less traffic than going to downtown Halifax.

Thanks. I’ll check it out.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
UNB's biggest obstacle is Acadia. They would play them Saturday night. If the game goes into OT the Reds might be pretty tired for Sunday.
Favorites but I'm not saying it is a walk.
Mentioned this on another thread, but I think Sask's path to the final is actually smoother than UNB's - UBC has a hot goaltender and the swagger from beating Alberta, so they're the most dangerous of the heavy underdogs, IMO.
Then in semis, I'd rank both Acadia and Ottawa ahead of Guelph and SMU. We know Acadia can pull off a win over the Reds, and Ottawa is deep, experienced, and skilled - easily Ontario's best rep at Nationals since that '16 Carleton team that lost in 4OT.
Reds are the favourite, for sure - but their draw and schedule is a little unlucky compared to Sask.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I definitely agree that Saskatchewan may have the easier path.

I don’t necessarily agree about UBC. Yes, Toth had two all-world performances against Alberta so he is obviously capable, but he also got pulled in game 2 (4 goals on 29 shots) and was good, but not great, against Saskatchewan (6 goals on 60 shots). Overall, his playoff save percentage was 0.918, which was behind Acadia’s Flodell (0.920) and UNB’s Harvey (0.946).

I expect UNB to get at least 40 shots, which should be good for 3-4 goals at the very least...I can’t see the T-Birds generating enough offense to keep up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad