2020 Retired/Europe player

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton

CopperAndBlueGM

Mar 9, 2017
Suspect I'll have at least 2 more after this NHL season finally ends but here are two for Edmonton so far:

Thomas Vanek has not played anywhere the past year - One of those annoying 'unofficially retired' cases as there was plenty talk of him retiring last summer but has never formally submitted retirement papers to NHL
Thomas Vanek at eliteprospects.com

Shawn Matthias has finally officially retired apparently (according to status on Cap Friendly) - his talk of looking to get back last summer kept me from being able to drop him earlier - hasn't played in 2 years now
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/shawn-matthias

CopperAndBlueGM

Mar 9, 2017
Hopefully this is a reasonable place to ask this 'curiosity' type question instead of a new thread. There has been a flood of NHL transactions the past 2 weeks of guys signing in Europe/KHL that just signed NHL deals (many in the UDFA signings) that don't start until the NHL's 2020/21 starts in December.

So my question is has anyone heard if they are just an unusual amount, given the unusual circumstances, of temporary loaned players that should be expected to return from loan in December to play for NHL/AHL teams or do we think those leagues will expect those players to stay with them for the full year?

Just curious given I haven't seen this thread updated with any of those recent return to Europe transactions and of course have a couple of guys myself that this might soon apply to wonder if I should be updating this thread with (if it becomes applicable).

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
...has anyone heard if they are just an unusual amount, given the unusual circumstances, of temporary loaned players that should be expected to return from loan in December to play for NHL/AHL teams or do we think those leagues will expect those players to stay with them for the full year?

My understanding is that these loans have been written up with flexibility for the NHL team to recall the player to NA *or* leave them in Europe, and that the decision will depend on a number of factors, with the most obvious being the COVID-19 status and its impact on pro seasons in both markets. What I don’t know is whether there’s a hard date by which the NHL team needs to recall the player or else they stay the rest of the season with the Euro team. My guess is that will be a negotiated, game-time decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad