2020 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Admittedly I have no knowledge of any of these young men, I can only hope 1or 2 of them surprise us. What I like is we are starting to see more Eourpean players added to our prospect pool, I see this as away to infuse more skill and creativity to the team.When looking at the last 2 cup winners the skill levels on display dwarfed what the Islanders are capable of and BT had a front row seat.Also I like we added some size with the exception of Jeffries everyone is above 6’1” this isn’t the end all be all but I’ve mentioned this in the past, NYI need more skill,size,speed and strength.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If I had to guess I would say a good amount.
10 of them. Another 9 are 6’3”. I’m tired of having goalies who fit under the crossbar.

Tommy Soderstrom used to do that and it drove me mad.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
6’4 PP qb with a good two-way game? Sounds good to me

Can't speak much on the Finnish leagues, well, frankly, I don't know Jack.

When I looked at his stats , historically, he is not a points producer and that is at every age group he's played in. Don't hate any of the picks we made. If one of our picks today becomes a good player in the NHL i'll be content.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
It's going on 2 am where I'm at, so I'll chime in more about the draft and who we got tomorrow.

My biggest impression of our draft is that our staff just left a LOT of talent on the board with every single pick made.

Best value-per-spot pick of the day: Dufour.

Otherwise, a whole lot of missed opportunity.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
It's going on 2 am where I'm at, so I'll chime in more about the draft and who we got tomorrow.

My biggest impression of our draft is that our staff just left a LOT of talent on the board with every single pick made.

You could say this about every team this draft though.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Goalie is 20. Didnt have good numbers last 3 years. Maybe Lou feels Mitch Korn can make him the next Rinne? Lol he’s a mountain.

maybe he comes over this year to replace Soderstrom in Bridgeport?

Looks pretty damn athletic for his size. Doesn’t move like a slug.

If the scouts saw the raw talent and of course the size there, but thought he just needed to improve his mental game/fundamentals, that is the sort of thing top tier goalie coaching staff could help a lot with, and thankfully we have that. But who knows, certainly remains a longshot, but that's any 7th rounder.

Reactions: SI90

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Holy shit he’s 6’8
Lou says f*** the world. No room to score!!!

Lou wants to cover the top the net...Wang wanted to cover its width.

Wang, the guy who authorized the league's first (and only) 10-year player contract and seriously considered sending team execs to Japan to scout Sumo wrestlers with the idea of turning them into NHL goalkeepers, explained his decision by saying that he and Smith had "philosophical differences."

https://www.espn.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2523578

Reactions: SI90

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

I can't "like" this post, but I respect it.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Ah the dreaded "lack of hockey IQ." :oops:

The positive is that he will be far away from Brent Thompson's "expert tutelage", by probably staying overseas for a few years. I honestly cannot believe BT is still hanging around. He is like a cat with nine lives and, for symmetry, I think this season marks year 9 acting in some capacity in the Isles organization.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The positive is that he will be far away from Brent Thompson's "expert tutelage", by probably staying overseas for a few years. I honestly cannot believe BT is still hanging around. He is like a cat with nine lives and, for symmetry, I think this season marks year 9 acting in some capacity in the Isles organization.

When I see Brent Thompson still employed it makes me lose faith in Lou. If snow can be told to go away with his contract surely Thompson can so that means that Lou wants him there?

I don't get it...At all. I want to trust those in charge, but it doesn't make any sense from any angle I think about.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Not that it means anything in the grand scheme of things but out of curiosity I looked back at a few recent 7 round mock drafts. 4 to be exact. Only one of our picks was on any of the 4. It was William Dufour. He was on all 4. He was actually mocked in the 2nd round on two of them and 3rd and 4th round on the others.

none of our other picks made any of the mocks.

For context our draft started at the tail end of the 3rd so it’s not like we’re talking about 1st and 2nd rounders.

just thought this was interesting. Let’s hope we hit on 1 or 2 of these guys.

Reactions: periferal

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
I find it hard to dislike our draft too much. All picks show some sort of upside and it's hard to assess if any picks taken this late are home runs or not. Remember all those times we got 'steals' in picking Kirill Kabanov, Josh Ho-Sang, Kirill Petrov, Jyri Niemi, David Toews, Aaron Ness and so on?

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
You could say this about every team this draft though.

Well, not every team, but many. That's definitely true. Lots of "wild" and "off the board" took place yesterday.

However, a team like Nashville had a draft that looks like just about everything I've been seeing on mock draft boards for months. There's not a guy there I wasn't heavily familiar with. I would have expected all of them to go right about where Nashville took him and they all fit Predator organizational needs. I mean, it looks like a fanboy-reads-the-myriad-of-draft-magazines-and-then-runs-the-draft-of-an-nhl-team type of thing.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Another quality piece from esteemed Athletic columnists:

https://theathletic.com/2068998/2020/10/07/nhl-draft-winners-and-losers-ranking-every-teams-first-round

Winner= he was on my list around or before where you got him!

Loser=Picked a guy too early or I didn’t know him!

I haven't read this yet, but I'm gonna assume quite heavily that the Islanders will be getting VERY poor marks by all the pundits, writers, and prospect agencies that will be reviewing the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad