Speculation: 2020 NHL Entry Draft (June 26th-27th, 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

None

Feb 22, 2012
If you buy into the idea that any single team can impact a player's development then the old lottery format proposal is also another way for players to end up on a team that's bad at development.
I think there was a poll on TheAthletic recently that polled front office staff in scouts/GMs/coaches about the perception of teams ability to develop players and I think Minnesota, Montreal, and Buffalo were all ranked poorly.

I imagine the top and bottom teams of the league to be fine with the proposal, teams in the middle like the Jets might be indifferent but would probably prefer the more recent lottery rules.
Teams that would've been in a position of having around 20% or higher odds of moving up under the most recent rules aren't going to be happy.

I wonder how many teams would need to approve the early June format?

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB

I figured it was pretty slim, but that’s a (projected) combined 0.08% chance any team wins the lottery and the Stanley Cup. Just keep the lottery system the same, then we may have semblance of normalcy in this messed up season.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Translation

Perhaps there was heavier push back than expected at the board of governors meeting?

The NHL has one huge advantage if they want to jam the draft in before the resumption of play. This is not a draft where there is an obvious McDavid, Matthews, Crosby, or even the Malkin , Ovi, Eichel type of #1 pick.

Laf is a tidy consensus #1 pick in what would appear to be a pretty flat draft. No team is landing that top 10 centre in the NHL you can build your franchise around at least not at #1. Now if I were the Jets I would like to end up in the top 3 though and that part of this “rush for ratings” copy the NFL job kind of sucks but oh well.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Translation

Perhaps there was heavier push back than expected at the board of governors meeting?

The NHL has one huge advantage if they want to jam the draft in before the resumption of play. This is not a draft where there is an obvious McDavid, Matthews, Crosby, or even the Malkin , Ovi, Eichel type of #1 pick.

Laf is a tidy consensus #1 pick in what would appear to be a pretty flat draft. No team is landing that top 10 centre in the NHL you can build your franchise around at least not at #1. Now if I were the Jets I would like to end up in the top 3 though and that part of this “rush for ratings” copy the NFL job kind of sucks but oh well.

I'm sure there is some. From what I have read the GMs hate the idea, some teams feel they are going to get shafted no matter what, and the issues with conditional trades , etc., but regardless... Little Bettman wants hockey to be relevant for at least a few days in June, and we all know that Bettman gets what Bettman wants.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think they should just cancel hockey we give Vegas a 4th and be done with it.
Is there much difference in chances of getting a play in 3 vs 4th rounds?

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Thoughts on Holloway? Lots of boards have him around where the Jets are drafting.

From what I have seen, he’s a smart player with a good motor and is always making something happen. The feeling I get though is he lacks the finishing touch to be a true top 6 forward.

Some of that could just be the transition to college hockey against older competition though. He wouldn’t be a terrible pick, but I wonder if there are others who would have more upside.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm sure there is some. From what I have read the GMs hate the idea, some teams feel they are going to get shafted no matter what, and the issues with conditional trades , etc., but regardless... Little Bettman wants hockey to be relevant for at least a few days in June, and we all know that Bettman gets what Bettman wants.

They probably have to work through those trade scenarios and they are real. The commissioner does have a right to run the draft in June but I assume they want to get their housekeeping in order.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
From what I have seen, he’s a smart player with a good motor and is always making something happen. The feeling I get though is he lacks the finishing touch to be a true top 6 forward.

Some of that could just be the transition to college hockey against older competition though. He wouldn’t be a terrible pick, but I wonder if there are others who would have more upside.
I think he has more offensive talent than some have suggested. He has good hands, decent vision, and knows how to read situations and player positioning. For me, the appeal with a player like Holloway is that his style is disruptive for defenses, because he gets on the D and is hard to handle physically. In that way, he adds an element to the Jets forward group that they are lacking. I could see him in the mix for the Jets around #12, along with players like Zary, Jarvis and Mercer. Of those 4, I think that Jarvis stands out in terms of speed / finesse, while Zary, Mercer and Holloway would bring an element of aggressive board play and being hard to play against in tough areas.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thoughts on Holloway? Lots of boards have him around where the Jets are drafting.

I have warmed up to Holloway although there are others I might like more he is that Boston Bruin, Columbus Blue Jacket, St Louis Blues not a star but a really tough to play against asset that can fit in the top 6 IMO of coarse. The kid is fast and rugged and really really good at puck retrieval and cycling. I also believe his hands and skill are getting a bit underrated.

In summary I don't think he will be my top choice at #12 but I will not recoil from the pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob E and Whileee

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I have warmed up to Holloway although there are others I might like more he is that Boston Bruin, Columbus Blue Jacket, St Louis Blues not a star but a really tough to play against asset that can fit in the top 6 IMO of coarse. The kid is fast and rugged and really really good the puck retrieval and cycling. I also believe his hands and skill are getting a bit underrated.

In summary I don't think he will be my top choice at #12 but I will not recoil from the pick.
That's how I feel about Holloway. If the Jets do select him at #12, then it seems likely that he's been scouted and supported by Max Giese, and he's had a good scouting record. To some degree, I wonder if the Jets might go for one of the talented forwards that plays a more aggressive and engaged game, rather than on the perimeter. Players like Zary, Mercer and Holloway have talent, but are also fairly hard-nosed players that would add that element to the Jets' talented forward group.

Reactions: Bob E

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That's how I feel about Holloway. If the Jets do select him at #12, then it seems likely that he's been scouted and supported by Max Giese, and he's had a good scouting record. To some degree, I wonder if the Jets might go for one of the talented forwards that plays a more aggressive and engaged game, rather than on the perimeter. Players like Zary, Mercer and Holloway have talent, but are also fairly hard-nosed players that would add that element to the Jets' talented forward group.

Notwithstanding one of those top 7 or 8 assets I would be all over adding a bit of that hard to play against element this year if they can be a top 6 forward or top 4 D man.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Notwithstanding one of those top 7 or 8 assets I would be all over adding a bit of that hard to play against element this year if they can be a top 6 forward or top 4 D man.
Yes, as I noted above, I have a notion that the Jets might want to add a bit of the "hard to play against" element, considering the success of the Blues, Bruins, etc. TB reshaped their roster somewhat after the debacle in the playoffs last year. One of the features of the Jets over the past couple of years is that they aren't getting enough shot attempts from the higher danger areas, and they are giving up too much in those areas around the slot/crease without Trouba and Buff. From a drafting perspective, you could see them having an interest in players like Holloway, Zary and Mercer up front, and Guhle (and maybe Schneider) on D.

Reactions: Bob E

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yes, as I noted above, I have a notion that the Jets might want to add a bit of the "hard to play against" element, considering the success of the Blues, Bruins, etc. TB reshaped their roster somewhat after the debacle in the playoffs last year. One of the features of the Jets over the past couple of years is that they aren't getting enough shot attempts from the higher danger areas, and they are giving up too much in those areas around the slot/crease without Trouba and Buff. From a drafting perspective, you could see them having an interest in players like Holloway, Zary and Mercer up front, and Guhle (and maybe Schneider) on D.

Those guys all check the box.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
But we’ll likely get a centre or D no? Also I’d rather one great player than 2 bubble players. Didn’t we potentially get 3 guys from last draft? Blaisdal, Heinola and Gus. As was said we have enough role players we need that 2 c and 1d. Other than that we have a good team. What will come out of later rounds a bottom 6 d? A 4th liner?
If a C or RHD is the BPA, then yes it makes sense to make the pick. If it’s a Winger as BPA...perfect time to trade down. The goal is to add two NHL’ers in every draft. If you only have 4-5 picks each draft...cupboards become harder to keep stocked. So I hope they trade down with one of their top 2 picks to add some prospects to the system.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If a C or RHD is the BPA, then yes it makes sense to make the pick. If it’s a Winger as BPA...perfect time to trade down. The goal is to add two NHL’ers in every draft. If you only have 4-5 picks each draft...cupboards become harder to keep stocked. So I hope they trade down with one of their top 2 picks to add some prospects to the system.
But doesn’t that imply every player is equal? I’ll take one Laine over Gustafson and Lowry/ chariot...

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It’s a “meh” draft so have to lower expectations of the player being acquired.
My point is top 4 d and top 6 fwds are hard to acquire but bottom 6 guys can be had easily through other means than drafting such as signing as free-agents. We have plenty of guys who could have been tried on bottom line like Seuss and Lipon. I’d rather gamble on getting a 2nd liner or #4 D than 2 bottom line/ pairing. It sounds like Jarvis is going to be as good as Ehlers. That’s not superstar/franchise level player but that’s not worth throwing away to get an extra second. Asakorow people are saying is a franchise level goalie who might go 10th.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

I'm right here with Holloway. I have immense trust in Max Giese so if he says he's good, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. From the scouting reports I've read it seems like he played wing this year but he could be a C. As others have mentioned he's tenacious on the forecheck, has great speed, has some sandpaper to his game and wins all the 50/50 pucks.

If he can slide to C I think he could be an ideal addition to our top 6 as a play driver that leaves it to the wingers to do the finishing.

I'd be on board with this pick if it happened.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
One of Holloway or Guhle would be the guy I’d like to see the Jets draft, if they pick at #12.

That’s assuming another guy like Sanderson or Raymond or Perfetti doesn’t fall to the Jets’ spot. Then, I might have to reconsider the selection.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Seriously holding the draft before the season ends is insane.
If the season is cancelled the teams who made a trade at the deadline trading away future picks should be compensated.
Imagine if the Jets traded a first and a prospect for nothing how would you feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad