Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread: Part IV - well, the lotto sucked

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
For fun- this would be our draft according to Dobber's top 100, which came out today.

4. Tim Stutzle (C/LW, Mannheim)

32. Jeremie Poirier (LHD, Saint John's)

45. Tyler Tullio (C/RW, Oshawa)

55. Emil Heinamen (LW, Leksand)

62. Drew Commesso (G, USNTDP)

64. Joni Jurmo (LHD, Jokerit)

I'm not so in love with the second round, but I think grabbing both Commesso and Jurmo in the third round would be awesome.

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI

upload_2020-10-1_13-58-6.png

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Im assuming you’re referring to the last question and answer. That was hilarious lol

Actually I clicked pause on that video and haven't gotten back to finishing it. I was referring to Max Bultman's question about "Are there common traits you want your prospects to have?" Stevie just said, "Yes." Max followed up with, "Would you like to share them?" to which Stevie said, "Nope. I want good players."

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nah Yzerman made more trades last season than Holland seemed to in 5 seasons with us.

And Holland did trade Lucic for Neal. Just one better trade like Yzerman did for Fabbri.

Traded for Green, traded for Ennis, traded for Athanasiou. Just like Yzerman did those minor deals, which didn't lead pretty much anything.

They seem to be the same animal, with same results.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
DobberProspects' Scouting Team 2020 Draft Rankings

Dobber's Top 100.

Stutzle @4th,
Raymond @3rd, Rossi-5, Holtz-6, Drysdale-7th, Sanderson-8, Perfetti-9, Askarov-11

Excerpt:

1-Lafreniere.jpg

Tony Ferrari: Alexis Lafrenière is the best player in this year’s draft as of today. While there could be a debate as to whether Byfield could be the better prospect long-term, Lafrenière is an absolutely dominant force. He has one of the best offensive minds in the draft and his physical maturity and elite-level skill give him the ability to generate offensive chances unlike nearly any other player in this draft. He drove shot differentials 150% better than many of the top prospects in this class as well. He is a two-time CHL Player of the Year, three-time QMJHL first-team All-Star, a Hlinka-Gretzky Championship, and a World Junior gold medalist. There is virtually nothing that Lafrenière hasn’t accomplished at this stage in his career. Going first overall will likely be another notch in his belt.
2-Byfield.jpg

Tony Ferrari: The sky-high potential that Quinton Byfield possesses is what makes him one of the most interesting and intriguing prospects in a few years. The Sudbury Wolves star has the size, speed, and strength to be a dominant force and the skill and touch to be an incredible finesse player. The uber skilled playmaker makes everyone on the ice with him better and does an excellent job of creating offense. He uses his frame and physicality to enhance his skill by shielding defenders from the puck and forcing opponents into errors by applying pressure and leaning on an opponent rather than going to the big hit as many expect a player his size to do. Skill is and always will be his best trait. While he’s unlikely to go first-overall, the young Canadian center’s upside should at least warrant consideration at the top spot.
3-Raymond.jpg

Jokke Nevalainen: Raymond is a play-driving winger who can control the pace of the game. He is calm and confident with the puck because he knows he can trust his quick hands and feet to get out of trouble. His passing abilities, vision and creativity make him an excellent playmaker who can create something out of nothing. He competes hard, doesn’t give up much defensively, and also owns a deadly wrist shot. Raymond benefitted from the extended offseason as he gained more muscle and strength to his frame. As a bigger and stronger player, he is now prepared to play an expanded role at the SHL level. He could push for an NHL job in 2021-2022.
4-Stutzle.jpg

Jokke Nevalainen: Stützle is a fun player to watch because his game is all about speed. He plays fast and thinks the game quickly. He can skate circles around the offensive zone and look for weaknesses in the defensive team’s structure. He’s an excellent playmaker who utilizes his skills and vision to create scoring chances. He’s not much of a scoring threat himself right now because he’s unable to breach the middle of the ice and his shot is not that great either. But those are areas that he can work on to become a more well-rounded offensive threat. He could push for an NHL job in 2021-2022.
5-Rossi.jpg

Jacob Barker: In a season in which he produced a CHL-leading 120 points in just 56 games, Rossi’s insane puck skills and offensive awareness dazzled his name into the top tier of the draft class. Although he is often criticized for being undersized, Rossi’s physical frame and no-fear mentality mean that he plays much bigger than he is. His high hockey IQ in all three zones combined with an unmatched work ethic means he is able to force turnovers and create plays in transition at a high level. Although he isn’t the quickest player in the draft class, Rossi has great agility and edge work that he uses to create space on the ice in a variety of situations. Rossi projects as a top-line center that can drive his line and produce at a near point-per-game rate at the next level.
6-HOLTZ.jpg

Jokke Nevalainen: Holtz is a natural goal-scorer if there ever was one. He has the ability to get himself open for a shot, and once he gets the puck, it doesn’t stay on his stick for long. His shot is incredibly powerful and accurate, making it difficult for goalies to stop even when they see it coming. He’s been able to score a ton of goals from distance but what will truly unlock his potential in the NHL will be getting closer to the blue paint before firing those shots. He’s shown the willingness and ability to be a competent defensive player, and his playmaking abilities are also underrated. He could push for an NHL job in 2021-2022.
7-DRYSDALE.jpg

Caitlin Berry: The epitome of the fast, new-age, puck-moving defender, Drysdale is the best defensive prospect out of the OHL this year. He is an excellent skater who can push the pace of the game and is capable of driving offensive with his elite hockey sense. He is confident with the puck on his stick and is excellent in transition, able to find open teammates and create scoring chances with ease. Defensively, Drysdale can read the game quickly and use his skating and quick stick to create turnovers and cut off passing lanes. He does not shy away from the physical aspects of the game; however, he is slightly undersized and thus will need to add some strength for his physical game be effective at the next level. Drysdale possesses all the tools to be a franchise level defenseman in the NHL.
8-SANDERSON.jpg

Tony Ferrari: On the rise from about December on, Jake Sanderson’s assertation of himself as a top-10 prospect came at the Biosteel All-America game in January. His defensive game was always his called card. He defends transitions as well as almost anyone in the draft and has high-level defensive IQ. His size, strength, and smooth skating make him dangerous in all three zones. As one of the best transitional defenders in the draft, Sanderson began to round out his offensive game as his confidence grew throughout the season. He might be the most complete defender in the entire draft class.
9-perfetti.jpg

Caitlin Berry: This season Cole Perfetti has proven himself as an excellent playmaker as well as an elite scorer. He has made a name for himself as a goal scorer during his OHL career; his shot possesses both accuracy and power, combined with a quick release. His vision and offensive awareness are outstanding. He is creative with the puck, and with skilled stickhandling, he can fool defensemen and goaltenders alike. Perfetti is an agile skater, able to make quick cuts and changes direction with ease. He is often criticized for his speed and acceleration, though, which are good but not quite NHL-level yet. However, his vision and smarts often make up for this deficiency, and with reports that he’s been focusing on developing his explosiveness in the extended off-season, expect Perfetti to be picked inside the top-10 in this draft.
10-LUNDELL.jpg

Eetu Siltanen: The best 200-foot player available in the draft. Very smart two-way center with pretty good offensive skills and amazingly responsible defensive game for a teenager. Lundell’s hockey IQ is excellent; he reads plays and is just always in the right position. He is a playmaker with good hands, but has a solid wrist shot and can score when he gets a chance. Pretty strong along the boards and good on the face-off circle (53,5% in Liiga, 19-20). He’s a “diesel” skater; he has pretty good top speed but lacks some acceleration and agility. Some have also criticized him for not being very visible or “flashy”, but his 28 points in 40 games is 6th highest PPG in Liiga during a draft-eligible season (since 2000-01). He just might be your future Selke Trophy winner. He’ll probably play the 20-21 season in Liiga and make the jump for the NHL after that.
11-ASKAROV.jpg

Daniel Tiffany: The most highly touted prospect at the goalie position since Carey Price. Russian phenom Yaroslav Askarov blends great positioning and incredible athleticism to make difficult saves look easy. Since bursting onto the scene at the 2018 Hlinka Gretzky cup, Askarov has proven to be an X-Factor game in and game out. His stats back it up at both the international and club level. His success in international play, along with the Russian junior league (MHL) and the Russian second league (VHL) has made him a can’t miss goalie prospect. Now as an 18-year-old, Yaroslav Askarov has played three KHL games and continued his greatness leading up to the draft. Askarov is a top-10 talent for the NHL draft and has the potential to be a future superstar NHL goaltender.

Last edited:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Hi Detroit fans,

I've had the pleasure of drafting for Detroit in the Hfboard Avs forum group mock, and I'm curious what you guys make of this draft?

upload_2020-10-2_11-42-15.png

Note that I made 3 trades:
  • LA Kings trade #2 to Detroit for #4 + Jared McIsaac
  • Detroit trade #32 + #56 to LA Kings for #35 + #51 + #97
  • Nashville trade #42 and Nick Bonino to Detroit for #51.
I wanted Stutzle and traded McIsaac to make it happen. I then tried trading up from #32 to grab Peterka (he went at #25) to unite the Germans, but when that fell through I targetted O'Rourke to replace McIsaac. I thought 32 was a bit high to take O'Rourke though so I traded down to 35 to move up from 56 to 51 and also add a 4th rounder (which I used to take a good goalie).

I tried hard to get an extra pick in the top 45, and managed to move again from 51 (originally 56) up to 42. I don't think Bonino has negative value but that trade was offered me when I asked about moving up so I easily accepted. I tried flipping Bonino for a 2nd + LHD prospect but didn't find the right trade, but I figure I could flip him in the future for picks.

With Heineman and Wiesblatt I added two skilled forwards who skate very well; have high IQ; and play a very translateable physical game. In Ponomarov I swung for the fences a bit on a guy who several scouts have in the late 1st round, and in Eamon Powell I added a smallish RHD with extremely high IQ and elite skating who I think coaches will love.

I may have taken Isaak Phillips a tad high at 107, but I really like his combination of size, skating, and skill for a 6'3 Dman, and I wasn't sure he would still be there at 125. He's very raw, but the package is something to work with.

Having taken Powell already Samuel Johannesson might be a bit redundant (another smallish RHD) but his raw talent was too much to pass up. I later picked Danila Palivko who is a huge 6'4'' LHD with terrific potential (according to Joel Henderson, a Calgary Flames WHL scout) who has been paired with Calen Addison this season and who may develop into a perfect partner for one of Powell or Johannesson. I also swung on Hardie who is a sniper who had a terrific 2nd half of his draft season and who I felt was good value at the top of the 6th.

Overall this is the outlook of the roster projecting 3 years ahead. My picks are highlighted in yellow.

upload_2020-10-2_12-32-2.png

If I'm critical here I think the roster lacks a really high-end LHD still, but I figure that a LHD is something Detroit should be able to find in the top 10 of the 2021 draft which is much stronger for Dmen than the 2020 draft.

Attachments

• upload_2020-10-2_11-19-24.png
    upload_2020-10-2_11-19-24.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Hi Detroit fans,

If I'm critical here I think the roster lacks a really high-end LHD still, but I figure that a LHD is something Detroit should be able to find in the top 10 of the 2021 draft which is much stronger for Dmen than the 2020 draft.

I am missing Johansson, he projects a top 4d. Replace him with Cholowski. Cholowski and Lindstrom on the 3rd line.

Reactions: Richard88

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Hi Detroit fans,

I've had the pleasure of drafting for Detroit in the Hfboard Avs forum group mock, and I'm curious what you guys make of this draft?

View attachment 369902

Note that I made 3 trades:
  • LA Kings trade #2 to Detroit for #4 + Jared McIsaac
  • Detroit trade #32 + #56 to LA Kings for #35 + #51 + #97
  • Nashville trade #42 and Nick Bonino to Detroit for #51.
I wanted Stutzle and traded McIsaac to make it happen. I then tried trading up from #32 to grab Peterka (he went at #25) to unite the Germans, but when that fell through I targetted O'Rourke to replace McIsaac. I thought 32 was a bit high to take O'Rourke though so I traded down to 35 to move up from 56 to 51 and also add a 4th rounder (which I used to take a good goalie).

I tried hard to get an extra pick in the top 45, and managed to move again from 51 (originally 56) up to 42. I don't think Bonino has negative value but that trade was offered me when I asked about moving up so I easily accepted. I tried flipping Bonino for a 2nd + LHD prospect but didn't find the right trade, but I figure I could flip him in the future for picks.

With Heineman and Wiesblatt I added two skilled forwards who skate very well; have high IQ; and play a very translateable physical game. In Ponomarov I swung for the fences a bit on a guy who several scouts have in the late 1st round, and in Eamon Powell I added a smallish RHD with extremely high IQ and elite skating who I think coaches will love.

I may have taken Isaak Phillips a tad high at 107, but I really like his combination of size, skating, and skill for a 6'3 Dman, and I wasn't sure he would still be there at 125. He's very raw, but the package is something to work with.

Having taken Powell already Samuel Johannesson might be a bit redundant (another smallish RHD) but his raw talent was too much to pass up. I later picked Danila Palivko who is a huge 6'4'' LHD with terrific potential (according to Joel Henderson, a Calgary Flames WHL scout) who has been paired with Calen Addison this season and who may develop into a perfect partner for one of Powell or Johannesson. I also swung on Hardie who is a sniper who had a terrific 2nd half of his draft season and who I felt was good value at the top of the 6th.

Overall this is the outlook of the roster projecting 3 years ahead. My picks are highlighted in yellow.

View attachment 369907

I have a hard time taking things like this seriously. It is also far too optimistic in assuming that all those picks are actually still part of roster planning three years from now.

McIsaac isn't the price to go from 4 to 2.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I have a hard time taking things like this seriously. It is also far too optimistic in assuming that all those picks are actually still part of roster planning three years from now.

McIsaac isn't the price to go from 4 to 2.
Thanks for your feedback.

It is certainly optimistic to think that these pieces would all be on the roster in 3 years, but it's just a roster projection to illustrate what young pieces would be on the roster if nothing happened.

What do you think the price to move up from 4 to 2 should be?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad